Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder/GT4 Free Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 06:04 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Ok... received my Spyder last Friday... at the dealer I didn’t really notice the stripes, but that night once home noticed they were there! Totally forgot about them as you really have to look hard for them to notice them. Noticed that it did look like a drip of some sort as it was on the plastic below as well. I used a wooden kabob stick to see if I could scrap at it. Sure enough it was hard, but managed to scrap small amount off... definitely felt waxy. I decided to use my pressure washer connected to my tankless water heater. At the same time I used my electric blower to dry after a few passes. First attempt some came off but not all... I did multiple passes from different angles as the mesh creates some shadows. After some drying then spraying again multiple times it is finally removed! They painted it black for some reason which makes it more obvious. It seems to be the wax they use for transport... it’s meant to protect from corrosion... so cleaners and cold water isn’t going to do much. Key is Hot water with pressure!

Before:

After:

This is what worked for me... hope it does for others as well!
The following 4 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
Elijaih (08-25-2020), JAhmed (08-26-2020), Pokerhobo (08-26-2020), sobiloff (09-10-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 06:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
From the lead tech at PEC ATL, he told me it was cosmetic and didn’t affect the function. Of course there’s the element of telling me what I want to hear on my brand new car. That having been said, I didn’t get the sense anyone was bsing me while I was there and I do think they do care and want to find a resolution if there is one. I’m sure there’s a level of “we want the problem to go away” so that people stop complaining and costing Porsche money more than needing a fix since it doesn’t impact functionality.
That's the most retarded excuse I've ever heard for a defect on a brand new car. So as long as your car has "only cosmetic" defects that don't affect its function you're good to go?! Unpainted panels in primer, check. Scratched up panels, check. Broken/missing trim pieces, check. Unaligned panels, check. Doesn't affect its function.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:27 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
That's the most retarded excuse I've ever heard for a defect on a brand new car. So as long as your car has "only cosmetic" defects that don't affect its function you're good to go?! Unpainted panels in primer, check. Scratched up panels, check. Broken/missing trim pieces, check. Unaligned panels, check. Doesn't affect its function.
For me the stripes were drips of cosmoline wax... see my post above yours for the remedy that worked for me.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Ok... received my Spyder last Friday... at the dealer I didn’t really notice the stripes, but that night once home noticed they were there! Totally forgot about them as you really have to look hard for them to notice them. Noticed that it did look like a drip of some sort as it was on the plastic below as well. I used a wooden kabob stick to see if I could scrap at it. Sure enough it was hard, but managed to scrap small amount off... definitely felt waxy. I decided to use my pressure washer connected to my tankless water heater. At the same time I used my electric blower to dry after a few passes. First attempt some came off but not all... I did multiple passes from different angles as the mesh creates some shadows. After some drying then spraying again multiple times it is finally removed! They painted it black for some reason which makes it more obvious. It seems to be the wax they use for transport... it’s meant to protect from corrosion... so cleaners and cold water isn’t going to do much. Key is Hot water with pressure!

This is what worked for me... hope it does for others as well!
By black are you talking about the radiator it self? All of my Porsches have had black radiators.

Do you think just hot water from a hand sprayer would work?

Any chance of a close up of the after?
Old 08-25-2020, 08:43 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
For me the stripes were drips of cosmoline wax... see my post above yours for the remedy that worked for me.
Is it completely dry? It comes back when dry. Shine a light in there and take a photo.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:07 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

I will take some pics tomorrow out of the garage.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I bet repeated power washing, even with cold water, will take this off over time.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Jay77
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 53 Posts

My detailer seems to have been able to remove the stripes from my radiator. He said he used a wheel cleaner (can find out specifically which one, if anyone is interested) and the power washer. Below are pictures of my car when it arrived at the dealership, and one I took this morning. And the detailing was done three weeks ago, so I am positive it is dried by now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay77:
Goggles Paisano (08-26-2020), metalone (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 01:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I was thinking the same thing, that maybe Sonax would help get it off.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:48 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay77
My detailer seems to have been able to remove the stripes from my radiator. He said he used a wheel cleaner (can find out specifically which one, if anyone is interested) and the power washer. Below are pictures of my car when it arrived at the dealership, and one I took this morning. And the detailing was done three weeks ago, so I am positive it is dried by now.

Is this a bumper off remedy?
Old 08-26-2020, 04:39 PM
Jay77
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk2
Is this a bumper off remedy?
No. He just sprayed/power washed what could be seen.
The first photo was just before the dealer had installed the front spoiler.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:26 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

No. He just sprayed/power washed what could be seen.
The first photo was just before the dealer had installed the front spoiler.
Yes, please let us know what he used on the radiator, Thanks!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:06 AM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

Just curious. If this is a "cosmoline" type application to protect the radiator and it has a wax base; I wonder if as these cars are used if the heat of the radiator will dissolve the coating/? As most of these cars are brand new will these stripes disappear with use?
Old 08-28-2020, 12:03 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Just curious. If this is a "cosmoline" type application to protect the radiator and it has a wax base; I wonder if as these cars are used if the heat of the radiator will dissolve the coating/? As most of these cars are brand new will these stripes disappear with use?
No, this doesn't dissolve by itself, and is not an even application, they are like droplets or spilled substance. I'm waiting for the product used , because some wheel cleaners leave white residues so the remedy can end up worst than the solution.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Sonax has never left any residue on my wheels.
The following users liked this post:
metalone (08-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Spyder/GT4 Free Stripes