Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder/GT4 Free Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 12:43 AM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 185 Posts

Yikes! Are those Love Bugs ( Plecia nearctica) ? Those miserable things will really do a number on your paint job, drive through a squadron of those things and you have a major wash on your hands. They have an acidic body chemistry, tough on paint and chrome esp. if left on for a day or do. Filthy little creatures, I won't even drive my Porsche when they are in "season"
Old 10-05-2020, 01:03 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Hopefully you hit the “Twisted Sisters”; some of the best driving roads in the US.

Bugs are some kind of small butterfly, they come around the Hill Country in the fall.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:22 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Hopefully you hit the “Twisted Sisters”; some of the best driving roads in the US.

Bugs are some kind of small butterfly, they come around the Hill Country in the fall.
Yes sir!

0900-2030. Sugar Land to the Sisters and back. 700 of the fastest miles the Hill Country has seen.

Last edited by dmk2; 10-05-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:46 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by patdonahue
Yikes! Are those Love Bugs ( Plecia nearctica) ? Those miserable things will really do a number on your paint job, drive through a squadron of those things and you have a major wash on your hands. They have an acidic body chemistry, tough on paint and chrome esp. if left on for a day or do. Filthy little creatures, I won't even drive my Porsche when they are in "season"
All butterflies. Xpel 10 truly did its job. Just used my softened wash water to rinse it off. Didn't even need a power washer. Followed with a standard two bucket wash.
The following users liked this post:
patdonahue (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:12 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 743 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
No, this doesn't dissolve by itself, and is not an even application, they are like droplets or spilled substance. I'm waiting for the product used , because some wheel cleaners leave white residues so the remedy can end up worst than the solution.
Originally Posted by patdonahue
Just curious. If this is a "cosmoline" type application to protect the radiator and it has a wax base; I wonder if as these cars are used if the heat of the radiator will dissolve the coating/? As most of these cars are brand new will these stripes disappear with use?
I believe that this it is some temporary protective coating that comes on the radiator from the factory akin to cosmoline.

I got my car with 8 miles on it. It had no "stripes". I specifically looked for them on delivery. The radiator was all black.

I have pictures of my car's radiator from about 1 week ago when the car had about 150 miles and no stripes..Still all black.

This weekend, I made an effort to put mileage on my car. I got it up to about 300 miles. And just yesterday, I noticed that I now have radiator stripes. Strips on the radiator are now shiny silver all of a sudden. It looks like the previously black radiator covering has "melted away" in those strips.

The stripes appeared just in the normal course of normal driving on my car. My car has never been washed or driven in the rain since I took delivery.

One of the things that was different on my car was that for the first 150 miles, I never once used the A/C. But in the second 150 Miles, I used the A/C for about 60 miles. Perhaps that is related? Aren't the AC condenser lines running right there? Perhaps sweating on the radiator in certain spots?
Old 10-05-2020, 07:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,540 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
I believe that this it is some temporary protective coating that comes on the radiator from the factory akin to cosmoline.

I got my car with 8 miles on it. It had no "stripes". I specifically looked for them on delivery. The radiator was all black.

I have pictures of my car's radiator from about 1 week ago when the car had about 150 miles and no stripes..Still all black.

This weekend, I made an effort to put mileage on my car. I got it up to about 300 miles. And just yesterday, I noticed that I now have radiator stripes. Strips on the radiator are now shiny silver all of a sudden. It looks like the previously black radiator covering has "melted away" in those strips.

The stripes appeared just in the normal course of normal driving on my car. My car has never been washed or driven in the rain since I took delivery.

One of the things that was different on my car was that for the first 150 miles, I never once used the A/C. But in the second 150 Miles, I used the A/C for about 60 miles. Perhaps that is related? Aren't the AC condenser lines running right there? Perhaps sweating on the radiator in certain spots?
The AC condensers are on the left and right sides, silver and separate from the radiators which are in behind. The center radiator is only for the engine, no AC lines in there.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:58 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

After much life delay, I picked up my car from the detailer yesterday with the stripes removed. I’m told all it took was an air compressor and a brush and time. It’s great that you guys are experiencing “burn off” of the stripes but if you have your bumper off, it’s apparently not a difficult job.
The following 2 users liked this post by blackholescion:
FASTRKMAN (10-06-2020), metalone (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 03:33 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm thinking your car always had the stripes. When you saw the radiator at the dealer it was probably after a wash. When the stripes are wet they disappear but come back when fully dry.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:20 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 743 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
I'm thinking your car always had the stripes. When you saw the radiator at the dealer it was probably after a wash. When the stripes are wet they disappear but come back when fully dry.
Nope. Definitely not.

My radiator was all-black for about 2 weeks and at least the first 150 miles. It definitely was not wet that whole time. The car has still never been washed by me and never been in the rain since I’ve had it. I know it sounds unbelievable, but the black coat On the radiator is just coming off on its own, in a striped pattern, just in the normal course of driving.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:35 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Nope. Definitely not.

My radiator was all-black for about 2 weeks and at least the first 150 miles. It definitely was not wet that whole time. The car has still never been washed by me and never been in the rain since I’ve had it. I know it sounds unbelievable, but the black coat On the radiator is just coming off on its own, in a striped pattern, just in the normal course of driving.
Maybe the dealer applied some glossy product that hidden the stripes, and now is clearing.. The wheel cleaning create the same effect on this wax like residue, it makes it transparent...
Old 10-06-2020, 06:28 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Nope. Definitely not.

Post a picture if you can. Definitely a unique case.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:09 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 265 Posts

Anyone take delivery of a car recently with a case of the stripes?

What became of this, is this still an unsolved mystery or does someone out there have answers?
Old 06-03-2021, 12:36 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,796 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Anyone take delivery of a car recently with a case of the stripes?

What became of this, is this still an unsolved mystery or does someone out there have answers?
I took delivery and I had some of the stripes. I didn't sweat it too much because it wasn't easy to see unless you got on your hands and knees and looked for it. I'm thinking it might be some kind of cleaning/detailing soap/agent. I'm not too worried about it. I'll drive it for some time once I get my car and report back. Hopefully, it goes away with some heat cycles.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:20 AM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

My GT4 I picked up in Jan 2021 has these lines…
just noticed them looks like dried fluid//wax or corrosion from a chemical dripping down the radiater.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:23 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 417 Posts

They disappeared from mine long ago. You could do a spay with BiltHamber AutoFoam. Slightly alkaline and there are some YouTube videos showing its safe on a number of surfaces and protectants.

https://clean-garage.com/bilt-hamber...8aAtj3EALw_wcB

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Spyder/GT4 Free Stripes