Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Production Shut Down!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 12:10 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
I’m not sure how it would be worse to fire someone in Canada? I used to own my own small business in Canada with 20+ employees. My corporate lawyer told me that I could fire anyone at anytime for any reason. He said if I didn’t like an employee’s new haircut, or a look an employee gave me, or if I was just having a bad day that I could fire anyone without cause plain and simple. The only caveat is that without cause the employer has to pay the employee severance based on duration of employment.

In this situation since the employee is quite young, I would assume they haven’t been employed that many years so 2-4 weeks severance maximum.

I’d fire that employees a$$ on the spot, tell them exactly why, and write them a cheque for a couple grand. Way better than closing up shop and losing who knows how much income as well as leaving other employees without paychecks.
You have assumed the employees age.

Not sure what province you operated in but in Ontario it is not the Employment Standards Act that would be the only thing that has to guide the situation. Many of the examples you cite could be grounds for an Ontario Human Rights Commission complaint.

While you can let somebody go without cause with the proper lieu of notice period payment and or severance there are other factors that don't make it simple depending on the direction the employee decides to go, whether they are justified or not the employer has to go through hoops at the employers expense. It's very unfortunate that the systems in place to protect employees from unscrupulous employers impacts decent business owners so much.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:48 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

This is turning into another Virus thread. Understand the reason for the delays but if going to start antidotal stuff and charts, we got plenty of those up in OT and P&C. Let's keep the tech areas free of that please. Don't want to move this thread, so keep it on topic please.
The following 6 users liked this post by Own Goal:
0Q991 (03-29-2020), 80s (03-30-2020), CDACH (03-29-2020), PierreTT (03-30-2020), RyuBraska (03-30-2020), Westcoast (03-29-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-31-2020, 02:33 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Back on topic, this is the latest news from Porsche regarding the factory shut down (from a March 27th PR) in the form of Q&A session:

Porsche is having a break in production at the moment. Is it yet clear whether you can restart production after the two-week break?
We are assessing the situation as it presents itself. The most important thing for us is that the supply chains can be rebuilt as soon as possible. We are less dependent on China than we are on our European neighbours. In this respect, I hope that we as a society will manage to contain the coronavirus and that we will then receive a signal at European level as to when we can all restart production.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...ona-20348.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Illusive991:
Denny Swift (03-31-2020), phefner (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 05:00 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Illusive991
Back on topic, this is the latest news from Porsche regarding the factory shut down (from a March 27th PR) in the form of Q&A session:

Porsche is having a break in production at the moment. Is it yet clear whether you can restart production after the two-week break?
We are assessing the situation as it presents itself. The most important thing for us is that the supply chains can be rebuilt as soon as possible. We are less dependent on China than we are on our European neighbours. In this respect, I hope that we as a society will manage to contain the coronavirus and that we will then receive a signal at European level as to when we can all restart production.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...ona-20348.html
Thanks for sharing the update and more importantly the link to the source!

I figured that the production restart would be at least partially based on the required 3rd party supply chain.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:27 PM
718GT4.0
User

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Getting back on topic here...

I just checked with my dealer, and the car is delayed from being produced for 2 weeks as all this covid stuff plays out, but they said the delivery in June would remain at this time. I think there's probably a retraction of builds given the outbreak, so less cars are probably in queue vs. pre-covid days.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718GT4.0
Getting back on topic here...

I just checked with my dealer, and the car is delayed from being produced for 2 weeks as all this covid stuff plays out, but they said the delivery in June would remain at this time. I think there's probably a retraction of builds given the outbreak, so less cars are probably in queue vs. pre-covid days.
Did your rep provide you a screenshot of the build from PVMS?

I just wouldn't believe a verbal timeline that says it's still on track with the same delivery date. No doubt dealers will have people cancelling orders because of delays and financial reasons so dealers will want to keep people calm and try to
mitigate cancellations by making things seem normal. Not all with do this but I'm sure a good number will.
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Illusive991
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

While not a Porsche release, VW extended the shutdown of their facilities in Germany until April 19th, including Osnabruck which is where the GT4 (we believe) is being constructed. No word on Zuffenhausen. Interestingly, VW's original re-opening of factories was April 9th (3 week initial timeline), so this is an extension of 10 days while Porsche only guided to a 2 week shut down (which would end this weekend). If factories are back online on April 19th, it would reflect a ~4.5 week shut down. My updated build schedule when the factory shut downs were initially announced factored in a 3 week delay. Will see if there are any further changes this week.

Not so fun fact: VW's burn rate is ~$2 billion/week

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...lumping-demand
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (04-04-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:50 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Here's a bit of a summary of what Porsche is up to as it pertains to COVID-19 and vehicles.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shoppin...car-incentives
Old 04-02-2020, 09:48 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 311 Posts

Thank you SToronto. Lots of good important information. Wow - did I read that right - Sales declined by over 20% in the first quarter. Unfortunately I can’t see 2nd quarter bring any better.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:52 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

Officially over a month behind. Suspect this will worsen in the coming weeks, unfortunately.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 AM
SamuelJames
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAhmed

Officially over a month behind. Suspect this will worsen in the coming weeks, unfortunately.
Hang in there - you know it'll be worth it. Meanwhile, my Macan is still waiting to be built (was due to start mid-April) - suffice it to say I'm more than prepared for significant delays.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:08 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,223 Likes on 479 Posts

I was supposed to pick mine up in Zuffenhausen on June 30, I haven’t heard anything from Porsche yet but obviously I anticipate this will be cancelled. Crazy times
Old 04-03-2020, 10:17 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

If I had to guess - adding 2 months is going to be closer to what it ends up being than 2 weeks. Hopefully not much more than that. But it's hard to say. Production is shut down and restarting all of German industry isn't on the immediate horizon yet. With so many suppliers involved restarting isn't going to be super easy or quick.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
JAhmed (04-03-2020), phefner (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
If I had to guess - adding 2 months is going to be closer to what it ends up being than 2 weeks. Hopefully not much more than that. But it's hard to say. Production is shut down and restarting all of German industry isn't on the immediate horizon yet. With so many suppliers involved restarting isn't going to be super easy or quick.
Damn! The forecast today was for sunshine, is it raining over there?

You may be right, but I sure hope you are wrong!
Old 04-03-2020, 10:36 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Damn! The forecast today was for sunshine, is it raining over there?

You may be right, but I sure hope you are wrong!

As with most of this situation we find ourselves in there are too many variables and guesstimations involved to make any kind of reliable forecast. So there's plenty of ways the glass *could* be half full.

Total shutdown time vs cancellations and how they fill in those holes with builds that suit them the best w/regards to any possible supply issues they have for particular parts makes it a crapshoot to predict. Given the sudden change in the global economic climate you'd think that their backlog will get smaller not bigger. The most delay will probably be incurred on builds that were just about to start production anyway.

When they do restart production another question will be whether their priorities get shifted between different models that are built on the same line.

Quick Reply: Production Shut Down!