Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Production Shut Down!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020 | 02:24 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SToronto
Update as of today.

Car was supposed to be in factory compound June 12 (as of early June), already delayed. It's now showing still in production and in vehicle compound on July 3. Everything pushed back 2-3 weeks.

Bummer! Last time I checked I was planned for production june 26th/exit production july 3rd. I'm controlling myself not to call SA every day... my plan is to call him on july 5th hoping for a nice surprise like "your car has been produced 2 weeks ahead of schedule and is actually on the boat!". But now I'm afraid of getting "Sorry but there has been delays and your new production date is july 24th".
Old 06-15-2020 | 02:26 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I read it here on Rennlist I believe, but always find it real tough to locate thing with a search...

Anyway, IIRC the summer shutdown was traditionally the entire month of August and I had read that they were looking at adding the last 2 weeks of July as well.

If I were looking at a delivery September or latter I wouldn't be too happy either, to me that is 2021 model territory although then you may have to be prepared for a price increase as well.
Yeah, that's why I figured I'd ask. Search and the mobile app could use some investment.

Entire month + 2 weeks. Wow the union has a strong hold. Plus the shut down period

It's showing dealer delivery August 14. However there are still no guarantees on the date. Here in Ontario you are looking at end of summer weather in early September. Certainly not what I signed up for. If Porsche gave some concessions, then maybe. Still not what I signed up for in terms of a late summer or fall delivery, would never have ordered the car. I don't believe the law would be on Porsche's side 100%.

Do you know typical 718 model changeover month?

Old 06-15-2020 | 02:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that's why I figured I'd ask. Search and the mobile app could use some investment.

Entire month + 2 weeks. Wow the union has a strong hold. Plus the shut down period

It's showing dealer delivery August 14. However there are still no guarantees on the date. Here in Ontario you are looking at end of summer weather in early September. Certainly not what I signed up for. If Porsche gave some concessions, then maybe. Still not what I signed up for in terms of a late summer or fall delivery, would never have ordered the car. I don't believe the law would be on Porsche's side 100%.

Do you know typical 718 model changeover month?
Sad thing is I doubt anything is 'typical' anymore, but used to be along the lines of cars scheduled to be built/finished after the shutdown were for the next model year. There are a number of those here that had their late 2020 model moved out to be a 2021 model but with a Nov/Dec delivery date, although I doubt that is what you want to hear either.
Old 06-15-2020 | 02:46 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kart125
Bummer! Last time I checked I was planned for production june 26th/exit production july 3rd. I'm controlling myself not to call SA every day... my plan is to call him on july 5th hoping for a nice surprise like "your car has been produced 2 weeks ahead of schedule and is actually on the boat!". But now I'm afraid of getting "Sorry but there has been delays and your new production date is july 24th".
I always reach out after major milestones. June 12 it was supposed to be V300/completed. So reached out today.

I would guess yours will be delayed depending on when you got that update. I do have a number of exclusive options which could be part of the delay.
Old 06-15-2020 | 02:50 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

I always reach out after major milestones. June 12 it was supposed to be V300/completed. So reached out today.

I would guess yours will be delayed depending on when you got that update. I do have a number of exclusive options which could be part of the delay.
I got those dates when I called on may 28th (freeze point reached). I also have some CP options (custom illuminated door sill)... My freeze date was last friday the 12th. I'M afraid to contact my SA but I will shoot him an email now and hope for good news. Will report back!
Old 06-15-2020 | 04:24 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Just got the latest intel... froze on the 10th (2 days ahead of schedule) and no change yet to the rest of the dates.
Old 06-15-2020 | 07:23 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Update as of today.

Car was supposed to be in factory compound June 12 (as of early June), already delayed. It's now showing still in production and in vehicle compound on July 3. Everything pushed back 2-3 weeks.

Hmmm... there must be something going on with Custom Tailoring... here is my revised schedule as of today (highlighted in green), overlayed with my schedule last week (highlighted in yellow).

Old 06-15-2020 | 08:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Hmmm... there must be something going on with Custom Tailoring... here is my revised schedule as of today (highlighted in green), overlayed with my schedule last week (highlighted in yellow).

Your car got out of production in five days? I had the same fixed date as you, entered production on the 10th, five days later than you, and is showing expected exit of production of 7/10...
Old 06-15-2020 | 08:12 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Your car got out of production in five days? I had the same fixed date as you, entered production on the 10th, five days later than you, and is showing expected exit of production of 7/10...
Yeah... something weird is going on. Not sure what it is. Supplier or Factory?

FWIW: my X-options are Black Painted PCCBs, Alcantara Visors, Leather Steering Column, Leather Door Sills, Painted Headlight Washers and Aluminum Gas Cap.
Old 06-15-2020 | 08:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Yeah... something weird is going on. Not sure what it is. Supplier or Factory?

FWIW: my X-options are Black Painted PCCBs, Alcantara Visors, Leather Steering Column, Leather Door Sills, Painted Headlight Washers and Aluminum Gas Cap.
Here is your problem, I heard they ran out of these...

Old 06-15-2020 | 08:51 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Here is your problem, I heard they ran out of these...

haha 🤣
Old 06-16-2020 | 12:11 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Also forgot you have an GT4, so you are at Osnabruck? So that might play in the difference as well?
Old 06-16-2020 | 08:03 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Something is definitely up. Should have questioned it earlier because I am now showing expected dates of 7/03 for V270 through O090. That simply can't be. Previously it was 6/19 for the same range of codes. Guessing that means there are issues and unknowns.

They are having me go by the new dealer delivery date. I am thinking that's not going to happen. I am going to ask for more details and further explore cancellation. It would be nice if Porsche was forthcoming with a customer first solution. However the approach of you can't cancel is being taken.
Old 06-16-2020 | 09:25 AM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

This was mentioned elsewhere, but how can I distinguish where my car was built?

What information in the VIN is the tell?
Old 06-16-2020 | 09:44 AM
Illusive991
Racer

Originally Posted by dmk2
This was mentioned elsewhere, but how can I distinguish where my car was built?

What information in the VIN is the tell?
I believe it's the 8th letter from the right (or 10th from the left), L is for Osnabruck and S is for Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen...it's either that letter or the one right after it (in which case it's K for Osnabruck and S for Stuttgart).

Quick Reply: Production Shut Down!