Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Production Shut Down!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020 | 07:56 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Not good news.

https://apple.news/AhATloHOGTXm4wbc_z2EHFA
Old 04-28-2020 | 08:21 PM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SToronto
Hummm! Not good...
Old 04-28-2020 | 08:49 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Not good but necessary. I worry what will happen here with all the premature easing of restrictions. One of the founders of the “reopen nc” movement was diagnosed with having covid. The ultimate irony.

My car is still sitting at port in Emden. Hopefully it moves soon because we have a baby coming in July which would make taking delivery challenging unless the PEC can accommodate a month delay.

VAG should contract delta and ship these cars over. Not like the airlines are flying people anyway hah.
Old 04-28-2020 | 09:02 PM
2018C718GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Not good but necessary. I worry what will happen here with all the premature easing of restrictions. One of the founders of the “reopen nc” movement was diagnosed with having covid. The ultimate irony.

My car is still sitting at port in Emden. Hopefully it moves soon because we have a baby coming in July which would make taking delivery challenging unless the PEC can accommodate a month delay.

VAG should contract delta and ship these cars over. Not like the airlines are flying people anyway hah.

I’m not sure that’s the ultimate irony at all.
I can probably live forever caged up, fed and medicated.
There’s a strong likelihood that any leader of a reopen movement would gladly risk themselves to the virus to further promote freedom and civil rights.
Old 04-29-2020 | 02:10 AM
argyleCali
Advanced

This is what I got from my SA today. It's for a GT4.

Old 04-29-2020 | 10:57 AM
RyuBraska
Racer

Thanks for the info. So more or less 2 month delay... let's hope they can bring this down once production actually starts again
Old 04-29-2020 | 11:10 AM
Illusive991
Racer

Confirmed plant restart is on May 4th:

View this post on Instagram

#Maythe4thBeWithYou

@argyleCali looks like we're on a similar timeline, I have the same V260 dates and the same planned/expected dates up to Emden (I suspect everyone else at V260 has the same timeline until they update stuff next week); deviates when it leaves Emden as we're on different boats.

The following 2 users liked this post by Illusive991:
n4v4nod (04-29-2020), RyuBraska (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020 | 11:24 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Here’s the full press release:

Porsche is manufacturing sports cars again

Stuttgart. As from next Monday (4 May), Porsche is restarting production on a site- and task-specific basis. All the required measures have been taken in advance to guarantee the maximum possible safety for employees and so that production can be increased in stages up to full capacity. As production is ramped up at the main factory in Zuffenhausen and at the site in Leipzig, all employees will now resume work step by step. The adapted processes in production, logistics and procurement have been agreed with the Works Council and the Health Management department. The requirements of the respective authorities will also be observed.

“The restart is an important signal – for our employees as well as for our customers. We have monitored and analysed the situation very carefully right from the start and flexibly adapted processes. Now is the right time to look forward with optimism and to resume work – subject to special precautions,” says Albrecht Reimold, Member of the Executive Board for Production and Logistics at Porsche AG.

A comprehensive catalogue of measures has been decided for the Porsche factories in Zuffenhausen and Leipzig. In addition to giving paramount importance to ensuring protection for employees, these measures are designed to permit the resumption of orderly and efficient production as quickly as possible. For example, production employees are required to observe a minimum distance of 1.50 metres, follow basic rules of conduct or to work with a face mask in defined areas.

Medical institutions and medical personnel have absolute priority for Porsche when it comes to equipment with protective clothing. The company is therefore organising equipment as part of the “Porsche helps” initiative and is also donating money to hospitals as well as food to food banks; the budget for donations has been increased by five million euros.

“It will take a great deal of effort to get the economic and social system moving again. Everyone must make a contribution to this,” says Oliver Blume, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG. “It is important to have a positive fundamental attitude. Every crisis also offers opportunities. And we want to make the most of them.” The company initially stopped production in its two factories on 21 March 2020 for a period of two weeks and announced that it would continuously reassess the situation. Due to bottlenecks in global supply chains, the factories have remained closed for a total of six weeks because orderly production was not possible.

In addition to suspending production, Porsche also decided at the time to implement a number of other stricter measures. These will remain in force until further notice to relieve the burden on the infrastructure at the sites: this means that the greatly increased level of “mobile working” will continue in the indirect areas, and meetings will be held as video or telephone conferences. The ban on business travel also continues to apply.

Further information, film and photo material in the Porsche Newsroom: newsroom.porsche.com
The following 8 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
AndyE1976 (04-29-2020), F1-GT (04-29-2020), Illusive991 (04-29-2020), JAhmed (04-29-2020), RonLu (04-29-2020), RyuBraska (04-29-2020), rzspyder (04-29-2020), Westcoast (04-29-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2020 | 03:10 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Hopefully the PDK version is still on track for August or so.
Old 04-29-2020 | 03:21 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnauto
I have no internal info, but based on all the current events, I wouldn’t get your hopes up!
Old 04-29-2020 | 03:50 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I have no internal info, but based on all the current events, I wouldn’t get your hopes up!
I would agree with P financial restructuring all if and maybe projects will be on hold I expect. I will add I seen this with VAG before with the R400 project so close and then diesel gate. So I built my own!
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020 | 06:09 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnauto

I don’t think so. I have the 1st Spyder allocation from my dealer, and my estimated arrival date is now early September (moved from Late July). I’m not confident that even the September date will hold since the pandemic is far from over. My dealer confirmed that my car will still be a 2020. He expects that the 2021 MY cars won’t arrive until Q1 2021, but I guess that last part is just his opinion.
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020 | 11:00 PM
prouse
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I don’t think so. I have the 1st Spyder allocation from my dealer, and my estimated arrival date is now early September (moved from Late July). I’m not confident that even the September date will hold since the pandemic is far from over. My dealer confirmed that my car will still be a 2020. He expects that the 2021 MY cars won’t arrive until Q1 2021, but I guess that last part is just his opinion.
I am in the same situation as you - first Spyder allocation from my dealer with a late July delivery date. I have not wanted to bug my SA too much and have not received an updated delivery date. I am expecting a 2 month delay based on similar comments and I am prepared for anything. I would think it is in Porsche's best interest to prioritize booked orders rather than building unsold units for dealer inventory. The faster they get cash flowing, the better. Hopefully, that means the delay will be less than 2 months.
Old 04-30-2020 | 12:32 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prouse
I am in the same situation as you - first Spyder allocation from my dealer with a late July delivery date. I have not wanted to bug my SA too much and have not received an updated delivery date. I am expecting a 2 month delay based on similar comments and I am prepared for anything. I would think it is in Porsche's best interest to prioritize booked orders rather than building unsold units for dealer inventory. The faster they get cash flowing, the better. Hopefully, that means the delay will be less than 2 months.
Call PorscheUSA and give them your commission number. They will give you the latest info on your expected delivery date
Old 04-30-2020 | 12:41 PM
katzndogs
Instructor

Originally Posted by VVG
Call PorscheUSA and give them your commission number. They will give you the latest info on your expected delivery date
Do you have a phone number to call for PorscheUSA?

Quick Reply: Production Shut Down!