Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020 | 12:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Not sure about this but I've read that one downside to the (larger) pccb is that they won't fit 19" wheels whereas the iron brakes would -- in case you want to change to less wheel, more rubber setup for back-roads or for more (and cheaper) tire choices for the track.
Old 01-29-2020 | 02:20 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
Not sure about this but I've read that one downside to the (larger) pccb is that they won't fit 19" wheels whereas the iron brakes would -- in case you want to change to less wheel, more rubber setup for back-roads or for more (and cheaper) tire choices for the track.
Few 19s can fit but the clearance is incredibly tight. You will score the barrels at the first sign of a rock with 19s. That having been said, most reviewers have said the car doesn't seem to understeer like the 981, which was primarily the reason for larger rubber/smaller wheels.

When I was looking at tire prices, it wasn't a huge difference between 19s and 20s. maybe $100-150 a set. Depends heavily on the tire of course. I was looking at the RE71R but it's been a couple months.
Old 01-29-2020 | 02:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Few 19s can fit but the clearance is incredibly tight. You will score the barrels at the first sign of a rock with 19s.
Is this referring to iron or pccb and which P models?

That having been said, most reviewers have said the car doesn't seem to understeer like the 981, which was primarily the reason for larger rubber/smaller wheels.
More rubber sometimes helps the stiffest sport setting on imperfect backroads.

When I was looking at tire prices, it wasn't a huge difference between 19s and 20s. maybe $100-150 a set. Depends heavily on the tire of course. I was looking at the RE71R but it's been a couple months.
There used to be much more tire choices in 18 and 19” vs 20” at various price ranges. The $ diff between 19 and 20 on the same tire model should not be too big.
Old 01-29-2020 | 02:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Agreed. Outlast wasn’t worth it. Has anyone had success with quartz protection?
I did CQuartz on my Golf R and I'd never do it again. It was nowhere near as good as the OptiCoat Pro Plus on my other cars.

And in my experience, Outlast does a waaaayyyy better job than any of the coatings or waxes at keeping brake dust off the wheels. If Outlast doesn't get the job done, nothing will. And I heard from a number of 981 GT4 owners that nothing, including Outlast, could manage the dust from their brakes. And I saw a GT4 come in for service once while I was at the dealer, with more dust caked on the wheels than I thought would be physically possible.
Old 01-29-2020 | 02:48 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
Is this referring to iron or pccb and which P models?

More rubber sometimes helps the stiffest sport setting on imperfect backroads.

There used to be much more tire choices in 18 and 19” vs 20” at various price ranges. The $ diff between 19 and 20 on the same tire model should not be too big.
This referred to PCCB on the 981 GT4 and 991.1/2 GT3. Unsure about earlier than that. Irons 100% fit 19s.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...cb-brakes.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-question.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1062...e-problem.html

There are certainly wheels that fit. Some better than others.

When tire choices were few, then manufacturers could charge whatever they wanted for the difference between 19 and 20. more cars have 20s which means more supply.
Old 01-29-2020 | 04:49 PM
FASTRKMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I did CQuartz on my Golf R and I'd never do it again. It was nowhere near as good as the OptiCoat Pro Plus on my other cars.

And in my experience, Outlast does a waaaayyyy better job than any of the coatings or waxes at keeping brake dust off the wheels. If Outlast doesn't get the job done, nothing will. And I heard from a number of 981 GT4 owners that nothing, including Outlast, could manage the dust from their brakes. And I saw a GT4 come in for service once while I was at the dealer, with more dust caked on the wheels than I thought would be physically possible.
Thanks for the CQuartz feedback it helps, got a '19 Golf R with the same issue was thinking it would help and maybe be a solution for the new GT4. Golf R is wrapped in Xpel no complaints but have no experience with their new fusion ceramic coating but was thinking of trying it as an alternative. Anyone with Xpel Fusion experience its greatly appreciated if you could share.
Old 01-29-2020 | 08:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by FASTRKMAN
Thanks for the CQuartz feedback it helps, got a '19 Golf R with the same issue was thinking it would help and maybe be a solution for the new GT4. Golf R is wrapped in Xpel no complaints but have no experience with their new fusion ceramic coating but was thinking of trying it as an alternative. Anyone with Xpel Fusion experience its greatly appreciated if you could share.
I didn't find the brake dust to be too bad on the Golf R. Outlast seemed to take care of it pretty well. Plus, those silver wheels actually still looked good when they started to get a very light coating of dust on them.

I was really disappointed in how poorly CQuartz shed water on the car. My OptiCoated cars just shed water right off when I blow dry them. The water droplets gripped the CQuartz car and I wound up having to towel dry the car more than I'd want to. And that car showed water spots worse than any of my Opti cars.
Old 01-30-2020 | 04:36 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

appreciate the info. Thanks
Old 02-26-2020 | 10:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Bumping this thread since deliveries seem to have begun, it would be good to hear new owner comments regarding the dust from the iron rotors.
Old 02-26-2020 | 10:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
You should verify the following but maybe these might work: https://www.apexraceparts.com/18x10-...che-wheel.html

Targeted at the serious performance-minded owner, 18” SM-10 wheels clear up to 380mm rotor, 6-piston brake kits including the factory PCCB’s.
Old 02-26-2020 | 10:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Bumping this thread since deliveries seem to have begun, it would be good to hear new owner comments regarding the dust from the iron rotors.
Deliveries here in North America?
Old 02-26-2020 | 10:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Deliveries here in North America?
No I was assuming overseas.
Old 02-27-2020 | 07:22 AM
arek
Instructor

I’m picking up my Spyder with irons (and silver wheels) in two weeks, here in Germany. I had PCCBs on my previous two Porsches so I’m also curious how much dust the Spyder will have. I’ll keep an eye on this and report back.
Old 02-27-2020 | 01:24 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No I was assuming overseas.
Ahhh yes, they have been out in the wild for months everywhere else but in North America!

Originally Posted by arek
I’m picking up my Spyder with irons (and silver wheels) in two weeks, here in Germany. I had PCCBs on my previous two Porsches so I’m also curious how much dust the Spyder will have. I’ll keep an eye on this and report back.
I had cast iron on all of my previous Boxsters, not only did I find the brake dust bad but the rusty water on the barrels was a real pain! Interestingly GM developed a treatment for the rotors that virtually eliminates the dust and rust and extends the life of the rotors, developed here in Canada, on my GMC truck the wheels and rotors are always free from pad dust or rust.

If you find the idea interesting here is a brief snip on the process: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle11408699/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-p...models-140867/

Old 02-27-2020 | 01:53 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Motorcycles use stainless steel rotors and have for many years. I don’t understand why no car manufacturers (to my knowledge) use them. I’ve read that iron dissipates heat better, but if high performance bikes use them, I don’t see why they can’t be used for cars. Perhaps the reason is that they would wear out too fast. Since bikes typically don’t accumulate mileage like cars, I guess that wearing them out early wouldn’t be an issue. I don’t know...but it’s annoying that the disks on my dirt bike are always shinny when those on my cars get rusty.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust