Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closure on My PCCB/Wheel Clearance Problem

Old 04-09-2018, 12:01 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Closure on My PCCB/Wheel Clearance Problem

There’s another thread on the problem, but basically I ordered and took delivery of a 2018 GTS in November. I ordered PCCB brakes. In the first 35 miles of ownership, the first drive after I got the keys, a small rock was caught between the left front caliper and wheel barrel and deeply gouged the caliper, so deep that it went through thick caliper paint (powder coat?) and into the aluminum of the caliper body. For a car of that cost I was livid. The dealer very nicely goodwilled a replacement caliper. I was pretty skittish, but decided to drive on. Then, in less than 200 additional miles, the right caliper was lightly chipped for the same reason, inadequate clearance between the caliper and wheel inner barrel. At that time I decided to park the car until I figured out a solution. Most Rennlisters were sympathetic, some said I was out of line for being pissed about the caliper damage, some said I was way too OCD for worrying about gouged and chipped calipers and wheels. I took a number of measurements and found that the clearance between the caliper and wheel barrel was around 0.223”. To me that was way too little and is a poor design. I even had a person associated with Porsche, on his own and without any input from me, say it is a poor design, that an owner should not expect that to happen, especially for a car that is driven only on the street.

Next I tried to come up with some fixes to the problem, rubber dams to stop the rock from getting in there to begin with, etc.. Each ‘solution’ like that had its own problem. So then I started looking for wheels that offered greater clearance. I talked to a number of wheel manufacturers, and honed in on HRE and Forgeline. Ultimately Forgeline offered the greatest clearance at about 0.500” (and the best price) so I made a deal with them and they offered to have them to me in less than a month at no additional charge for the expedited delivery. I dealt with Steve Schardt who was just super. I ordered their VX1R centerlock wheel, and sure enough I had them in less than a month. Once I received them I asked my Service Advisor when they could swap wheels and tires, sensors, etc, and he said what are you waiting for, bring your car in! So the same day I received the wheels they were installed and I was a happy camper.

Today, I reached the 1,000 mile mark with the Forgeline wheels. I am still a happy camper. Not a scratch anywhere on the front calipers, so I’d say problem solved. I love the look of the brakes as well as their performance. The downside is the additional expense of the wheels. Would I order PCCB’s again? Yes I would, but I’d budget a set of Forgelines as part of the deal and sell the OEM wheels as soon as I could. I have no clue why Porsche could not design a wheel similar to the Forgeline. How they expect 0.223” of clearance to be adequate is beyond me. Anyway, now I can drive on and not worry about my $160,000 car being needlessly dinged. YMMV

Old 04-09-2018, 01:04 AM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Happy to hear everything has been great for the las 1K miles.

Oh, and this thread would be better with some pics of that Carmine beauty and her new shoes!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:26 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by computertom
Happy to hear everything has been great for the las 1K miles.

Oh, and this thread would be better with some pics of that Carmine beauty and her new shoes!
Good idea. Here are a few

Old 04-09-2018, 01:35 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!! The wheel matches well with the carmine red.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:36 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Looks great!! The wheel matches well with the carmine red.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:10 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I'm wondering if this topic is worthy of a poll: How many have had their PCCBs and/or Wheels damaged by FOD ingestion?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:16 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Hi flickroll,

Your car on those Forgelines with the PCCBs looks awesome.

Thanks for your input when I was ordering my T.

Your thoughts and experience helped me with my decision. In my case, I passed on having PCCBs fitted. I just couldn't justify the £6k price on my T build. And no way would I order upgraded brakes on my car, knowing that would also mean ordering a brand new set of wheels too!

In your case, the end result looks great, albeit at a high price.

Happy motoring, and thanks again for your various posts and threads!

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. Were those Michelins the original tyres on your car?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wonder why we don't hear more about this on the GT4 and 991 GT3/R/RS Forums??
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Wonder why we don't hear more about this on the GT4 and 991 GT3/R/RS Forums??

I think the discs/rotors for PCCBs are now bigger than they were on the 991.1 (and GT4?).

Plus many GT3s and Rs etc maybe don't actually get driven much.

Saw a guy with a 991.1 Carrera at a meet recently. He had PCCBs. I asked him if he'd had issues with stones getting caught etc. He said not. I had a good look and there was decent clearance between his calipers and the wheel barrel.

Front discs/rotors are now 410mm on PCCBs for the 991.2. Pretty sure they weren't that big previously.

Last edited by Wing Commander; 04-09-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Update.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:40 AM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great. Did you happen to weigh the new wheels before installing them? I'm curious how they compare to stock.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

I think the discs/rotors for PCCBs are now bigger than they were on the 991.1 (and GT4?).

Plus many GT3s and Rs etc maybe don't actually get driven much.

Saw a guy with a 991.1 Carrera at a meet recently. He had PCCBs. I asked him if he'd had issues with stones getting caught etc. He said not. I had a good look and there was decent clearance between his calipers and the wheel barrel.

Front discs/rotors are now 410mm on PCCBs for the 991.2. Pretty sure they weren't that big previously.
I had this issue on my 997 TT with PCCBs, and I have it on my 991 TTS.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the GTS comes with either the Carrera S or the Turbo S wheels. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they both have the same clearance? The Carrera Sport wheel, as a 5 spoke, looks like it would have more clearance, but I can't find that measurement,....anywhere. Anybody have any idea?

Rich
Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
I'm wondering if this topic is worthy of a poll: How many have had their PCCBs and/or Wheels damaged by FOD ingestion?
Could be beneficial. It would only be for 991.2's as the 991.1's are a different animal with smaller rotors and the caliper away from the barrel more. The 991.1's do not experience this issue.

Last edited by flickroll; 04-09-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Hi flickroll,

Your car on those Forgelines with the PCCBs looks awesome.

Thanks for your input when I was ordering my T.

Your thoughts and experience helped me with my decision. In my case, I passed on having PCCBs fitted. I just couldn't justify the £6k price on my T build. And no way would I order upgraded brakes on my car, knowing that would also mean ordering a brand new set of wheels too!

In your case, the end result looks great, albeit at a high price.

Happy motoring, and thanks again for your various posts and threads!

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. Were those Michelins the original tyres on your car?
Thanks Simon, good luck with your T. Yes, don't why I lucked out, but I got the Michelins on the new car. Was pretty happy about that!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:56 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ira Blumberg
Looks great. Did you happen to weigh the new wheels before installing them? I'm curious how they compare to stock.
Yes I did. I have that info somewhere and will have to dig it up. I do remember the Forgeline front and rears are lighter than the OEM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Closure on My PCCB/Wheel Clearance Problem