Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 02:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Interesting. Motorcycles use stainless steel rotors and have for many years. I don’t understand why no car manufacturers (to my knowledge) use them. I’ve read that iron dissipates heat better, but if high performance bikes use them, I don’t see why they can’t be used for cars. Perhaps the reason is that they would wear out too fast. Since bikes typically don’t accumulate mileage like cars, I guess that wearing them out early wouldn’t be an issue. I don’t know...but it’s annoying that the disks on my dirt bike are always shinny when those on my cars get rusty.
They're stopping 1/8th the weight on a Superbike than they are on a car and the surface area isn't that much different. The other reasons are that cast iron handles heat better and that stainless is lighter and every pound of weight is critical on a moto.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:39 PM
nb1234
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

It seems all Porsches with standard iron rotors and standard pads will dust the wheels up very badly.

A recipe that will very likely work is to first replace the stock Porsche brake pads with a ceramic-based pad. Not sure what fitment / brand options are out there for the new GT4, but there's bound to be something out there in a ceramic pad. This alone will dramatically cut down on the dust. On top of that, if you use the Armor All Outlast product, that'll help even more.

I get that some folks don't like swapping out the OEM pads, but to me, they're nothing special. I've got ceramics on my 981 and the dusting is down by an order of magnitude, no exaggeration.

If you want to track the car, you'll probably want to switch to track pads and just live with the noise and dust that come with using a proper track pad. For street, I want quiet and clean, for track, I don't care about noise and dust.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by nb1234
It seems all Porsches with standard iron rotors and standard pads will dust the wheels up very badly.
The difference in dust on the standard 981 and the GT4 was night and day. The GT4 brakes generated way more dust. If the 718 brakes are the same, that means that this time around the Spyder is going to generate way more brake dust than the 981 Spyder. And brake dust, aside from being unsightly, is also pretty darn bad for your lungs.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Hmet
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I see significant dust after relatively short drives. Accordingly I would recommend platinum wheels as I imagine they show the least.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Bummer. Looks like I’m gonna have to spring for the PCCBs. Platinum wheels help a little, but not that much. At least they didn’t on the 981 GT4.
The following users liked this post:
Hmet (03-09-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 04:07 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

I have two Porsche's with PCCBs (997 & 991 3RS) and two without (992 & 993). After just a month with my 992 as a daily driver, I emailed my SA and told him to change my spyder order to PCCBs. Saving the money isn't worth it to me. Dust is awful. My 992 has platinum wheels and still looks bad. Literally have to wash it twice a week if you want it to look goood. My PCCB cars get washed maybe once a month. It's not even the cost of the wash, it is the PITA to spend 30 minutes to do it.
n4v4nod (03-01-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by joejenie
I have two Porsche's with PCCBs (997 & 991 3RS) and two without (992 & 993). After just a month with my 992 as a daily driver, I emailed my SA and told him to change my spyder order to PCCBs. Saving the money isn't worth it to me. Dust is awful. My 992 has platinum wheels and still looks bad. Literally have to wash it twice a week if you want it to look goood. My PCCB cars get washed maybe once a month. It's not even the cost of the wash, it is the PITA to spend 30 minutes to do it.
Agreed. My 991.1 C2S had PCCBs and I OptiCoated the car. It could go sooo long between washings and still look good. And then when I did wash it, it took all of about 10 minutes.

My 981 Spyder had iron rotors and I used Outlast on the wheels, which helped a lot, but those are not the same brakes as the set up on the 718. I expect the standard brakes are going to dust like crazy, just like the 981 GT4, and would overpower Outlast.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:14 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agreed. My 991.1 C2S had PCCBs and I OptiCoated the car. It could go sooo long between washings and still look good. And then when I did wash it, it took all of about 10 minutes.

My 981 Spyder had iron rotors and I used Outlast on the wheels, which helped a lot, but those are not the same brakes as the set up on the 718. I expect the standard brakes are going to dust like crazy, just like the 981 GT4, and would overpower Outlast.
Why not coat the wheels with an actual ceramic coating?
Old 03-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Why not coat the wheels with an actual ceramic coating?
Because it really doesn't do that much either. I coated the wheels on my M5 and it doesn't shed brake dust any better than Outlast.

The other thing people should consider, particularly in an open top with a race type brake set up like this, is that the particulate matter in brake dust is really, really bad for your lungs. And if you're out tearing around, every time you stop hard, your send out a plume of these particulates into the air around your car, and likely into your lungs.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:36 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Because it really doesn't do that much either. I coated the wheels on my M5 and it doesn't shed brake dust any better than Outlast.
What did you coat it with, out of curiosity?
Old 03-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by blackholescion
What did you coat it with, out of curiosity?
I did OptiCoat Pro Plus on the M5. Previously did CQuartz on a Golf R.

Of the two, I would never do CQuartz again. I love OptiCoat Pro Plus. It will be going on my Spyder immediately after delivery.
blackholescion (03-02-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

If anyone's interested, here are my wheels after around 1000 km (620 mi). Note that it was a bit rainy in the beginning.

The following 2 users liked this post by arek:
n4v4nod (05-01-2020), RyuBraska (03-30-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:02 AM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Not sure about this but I've read that one downside to the (larger) pccb is that they won't fit 19" wheels whereas the iron brakes would -- in case you want to change to less wheel, more rubber setup for back-roads or for more (and cheaper) tire choices for the track.
WADR to the OP, if he’s worried about brake dust from normal driving, he would probably stroke out after seeing how unclean a car is after a track weekend. I don’t think tracking is a consideration!

I didn't find the brake dust to be too bad on the Golf R. Outlast seemed to take care of it pretty well. Plus, those silver wheels actually still looked good when they started to get a very light coating of dust on them.

I was really disappointed in how poorly CQuartz shed water on the car. My OptiCoated cars just shed water right off when I blow dry them. The water droplets gripped the CQuartz car and I wound up having to towel dry the car more than I'd want to. And that car showed water spots worse than any of my Opti cars.
I’m curious as to if it was applied correctly.

I track my car regularly, 5-8 times per year, in our fastest run group, and do the recovery washing myself after every event. This involves a 3 wash process each time (LOTS of rubber scars on the front and sides.) My CQuartz beads just as well in month 11 as it does after application.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by arek
If anyone's interested, here are my wheels after around 1000 km (620 mi). Note that it was a bit rainy in the beginning.

Are those platinum wheels or silver wheels?

Anyone have any comments regarding the steel brake dust on the 718, now that deliveries have started in earnest?
Old 05-01-2020, 07:45 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

The other thing people should consider, particularly in an open top with a race type brake set up like this, is that the particulate matter in brake dust is really, really bad for your lungs. And if you're out tearing around, every time you stop hard, your send out a plume of these particulates into the air around your car, and likely into your lungs.
Good point. I’ve read studies showing that even on the average modern gasoline/petrol car, brake dust is greater than or equal to particulate matter from the exhaust. This is particularly the case on cars with large brakes with high dust pads like the GT4/Spyder. You could say that switching to PCCB has a bigger environmental benefit (for your health and others) through particulate matter reduction than the addition of particulate matter filters on European cars.

PCCB gives less weight, lower rotational inertia for better acceleration, better heat dissipation, no rust, and much less brake dust which is good for keeping the car clean, and for the health of yourself and others.

Last edited by wizee; 05-01-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust