Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 02:04 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,030 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
ADM SCHMAYDM....
Buy it or don't. Getting hung up on whether the cost shows on the sticker or a little piece of paper taped to the windshield by the dealer is kinda ridiculous. If Porsche had set the price $10k higher, would you suddenly be okay with the price?
I get what you're saying, and basically, it's back to someone paying what they think it's worth. But that holds more true to used cars. For new cars, we're talking about custom ordering the same exact product from the same factory, but paying one dealer more than another just because, well, I don't know why really. I mean, I can understand someone paying more to be the first to own a new model or to get one sooner. I wouldn't, but I can understand the thought process. I also understand it when you're talking about a rare car. But not for more regular, mass produced cars.

And remember this: if Porsche raised the price by $10k, then that would be the price across all dealers. We're talking about essentially a middle man charging more when there are many different middle men to choose from.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:37 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
ADM SCHMAYDM. Who cares how they get there. The question is simply, is the car worth it to you or not. I'm not against ADM, I just don't think these cars are worth anywhere near the marked up prices dealers and people are asking out there. Nor do a lot of other people it seems, as most of these cars are languishing unsold. The only cars that truly seem to be getting premiums are the 991GT2/3's and RS's and the 992 GT3 allocations, and I expect even that frenzy will peter out soon. Those premiums already seem to be sliding down based on the recent sales posted over in those forums.

Buy it or don't. Getting hung up on whether the cost shows on the sticker or a little piece of paper taped to the windshield by the dealer is kinda ridiculous. If Porsche had set the price $10k higher, would you suddenly be okay with the price?
This ignores the impact original sticker has on resale completely. If you're going to be buried in the car, then okay, but if not, paying over sticker definitely has ramifications past the purchase.
The following users liked this post:
0-Day (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 03:48 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
This ignores the impact original sticker has on resale completely. If you're going to be buried in the car, then okay, but if not, paying over sticker definitely has ramifications past the purchase.
Agree. Not to mention the fact that if one recognizes this highly abnormal & industry-wide situation will pass, then paying more now seems wasteful… at least to my value paradigm. That said, if folks want to pay adm - and apparently some do - then that’s their business and their personal value paradigm has been satisfied.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:01 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

This is true. As much as I'm against ADM, the fact of the matter is that if someone has the money to spend $10k extra on a car because of another need (ie, timing, exclusivity), then it's worth it to them. Just not me ;-)
Old 07-09-2021, 04:31 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by dichael
Agree. Not to mention the fact that if one recognizes this highly abnormal & industry-wide situation will pass, then paying more now seems wasteful… at least to my value paradigm. That said, if folks want to pay adm - and apparently some do - then that’s their business and their personal value paradigm has been satisfied.
Agree. I have no issue with the law of supply and demand, or anyone who values something enough to pay a premium for it. But, these are unusual times. If you REALLY wanted to build a house in the last few months, at least one built primarily of wood, you likely paid a premium that won't carry forward into resale value. And, you may not care, which is great if it's worth it to you.

In the case of these 718 4.0L cars, you have a perfect storm of issues throughout the supply chain, pent up demand combined now with "revenge spending" as we come out of COVID, the amazing con-rod fiasco, and a bit of (I think) premature fear-mongering about the remaining lifespan of the internal combustion engine and manual transmission. And yes, it's a terrific car, too. The first few of these drivers will go away in months to a year, so we'll see soon enough if/when things return to a more normal state.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:44 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
Agree. I have no issue with the law of supply and demand, or anyone who values something enough to pay a premium for it. But, these are unusual times. If you REALLY wanted to build a house in the last few months, at least one built primarily of wood, you likely paid a premium that won't carry forward into resale value. And, you may not care, which is great if it's worth it to you.

In the case of these 718 4.0L cars, you have a perfect storm of issues throughout the supply chain, pent up demand combined now with "revenge spending" as we come out of COVID, the amazing con-rod fiasco, and a bit of (I think) premature fear-mongering about the remaining lifespan of the internal combustion engine and manual transmission. And yes, it's a terrific car, too. The first few of these drivers will go away in months to a year, so we'll see soon enough if/when things return to a more normal state.
As much as I am a fan of the C8 Corvette and especially the upcoming Z06, I feel kinda bad for the C8 owners. Unlike Porsche, which (especially with GT cars) hold their value well even when not in extreme circumstances, the same can NOT be said for the Corvette.

Those that paid $20K - $30K over will be SOOOOO upside down when things start to get normal and GM goes into its normal mass produce mode again.

In general, this is just the wrong time to be sports car shopping. At the same time, as long am MOST (there will always be a few who do) people refuse to pay the ADM, this will self correct soon, especially as summer winds down and fall approaches. Most of these crazy ADM's right now, the cars are just sitting, which in the long run hurts the dealer because if they can't sell it, they are carrying that inventory and the overhead that goes with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRZ06:
AdamIsAdam (07-09-2021), tigerhonaker (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 11:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I get what you're saying, and basically, it's back to someone paying what they think it's worth. But that holds more true to used cars. For new cars, we're talking about custom ordering the same exact product from the same factory, but paying one dealer more than another just because, well, I don't know why really. I mean, I can understand someone paying more to be the first to own a new model or to get one sooner. I wouldn't, but I can understand the thought process. I also understand it when you're talking about a rare car. But not for more regular, mass produced cars.

And remember this: if Porsche raised the price by $10k, then that would be the price across all dealers. We're talking about essentially a middle man charging more when there are many different middle men to choose from.
Except there aren’t, or some dealers wouldn’t be able to get an ADM. There simply aren’t enough cars out there to satisfy all the demand, or there wouldn’t be any ADMs.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:55 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Same here. Waiting to see how it pans out … not going to go ADM route and if I can’t get an allocation so be it.
Agree totally. Charging ADM smells nearly as bad as selling $50 cases of bottled water to hurricane victims. At least we can do without if need be.
"celebrating" six months at V070 this week....
Old 07-09-2021, 11:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Unless it’s fairly common, then the average purchase price is above sticker anyway. And not everyone buys their car with an eye to resale. And some just simply place a higher value on the time they own the car, such that even amortizing the ADM over their ownership period is no big deal.

Or one could just wait years and never get a car. Like happened to many people with the last GT3 and GT4.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:12 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgang
​​​​​​
Ouch!

Yup, time is money, after all. (And money can't buy sleep, said one new parent to another.)
Old 07-10-2021, 02:39 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Agree totally. Charging ADM smells nearly as bad as selling $50 cases of bottled water to hurricane victims. At least we can do without if need be.
Dang, that's a long time without a commission number. You might want to start shopping around and move on from your dealer.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:51 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Dang, that's a long time without a commission number. You might want to start shopping around and move on from your dealer.
I thought you get a commission number when you are V070. I did. It's the wait to get an allocation (V200) that's long and scary. Do I have that wrong?
Old 07-10-2021, 09:26 AM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm celebrating 3-1/2 months at "NA15 Port handling - Quality action"
Old 07-10-2021, 11:36 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

This month is my big change for a spyder allocation, if I understand the pattern. If nothing this month, sounds like October is the next significant chance. I am way too much of an instant gratification junkie for this game (although I refuse to pay the premium for a resale with some arbitrary spec).

Hey, but think of all the money I am saving! And more time to second and third guess my color choices...
You are right, more allocations should come out soon.

PCNA are behind handling out allocations for theses 718 models, so far only up to September build allocations from what I’ve seen. Over there at GT3 section, people are getting allocations from September through January builds already. Since these cars are built in the same factory (especially the Spyder and Boxster, only build at Stuttgart) and should share the same production planning, they can’t only planning the 992 production without these 718s in the mix. We should see more allocations for September build and beyond soon.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
There was a guy on here in winter/spring that was approaching or broke 2 years from v70 without an allocation and still wasn't next in line (I think he was in Oregon). Now that seems crazy as there are literally people that went on the list, got a spot, got a manual, drove it, sold it, went on the list again, got a pdk, and have been driving it for a long time now in that timeline.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker