Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dealer Allocation Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 05:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
Feels like back to the 70's. It would be a shame to see manufacturers drop desirable car models or features to avoid a 49-state legal situation (epecially for something arbitrary like being too loud in 3rd gear at WOT)
There is no Federal law on sound and in fact many states don't regulate it at all. Porsche made a mistake in assuming that California was going to adopt a new testing standard. Nothing arbitrary about it, the standard is there and very specific.

What cracks me up are all the GT3 folks coming unglued, when a short time ago you couldn't even get a GT3 with a manual. Reminds me of this bit by Louis CK.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:22 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

But in CA: https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...0Non%20Openers
Old 06-17-2021, 05:47 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There is no Federal law on sound and in fact many states don't regulate it at all. Porsche made a mistake in assuming that California was going to adopt a new testing standard. Nothing arbitrary about it, the standard is there and very specific.

What cracks me up are all the GT3 folks coming unglued, when a short time ago you couldn't even get a GT3 with a manual. Reminds me of this bit by Louis CK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx0mKy6pwCM
Maybe "arbitrary" isn't the best choice of words, but being specific doesn't mean it isn't arbitrary. If you can't link the requirement to a real-world need/benefit, and show that it measurably helps achieve the desired outcome, I would say it's arbitrary. Especially when compared to more traditional (air quality) emissions measures and their corresponding intended benefits.

In this case, if Porsche simply doesn't offer the MT in Cali then it may not be a big deal (except to potential buyers), but I can see cases where manufacturers might say "F it" and just drop a model in the US altogether due to differing requirements if not kept in check.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:56 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 583 Likes on 318 Posts

W00T got word today my car is in port and V331.... they updated the schedule, with delivery being nearly 3 weeks ahead! Was supposed to be here 7/26? Now it's saying 7/2! Would be SO EXCELLENT to get it right before the 4th weekend... I will hit that break-in NO problem!
The following 4 users liked this post by daaa nope:
ausgang (06-17-2021), mprezive (06-18-2021), nobbyv (06-18-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by daaa nope
W00T got word today my car is in port and V331.... they updated the schedule, with delivery being nearly 3 weeks ahead! Was supposed to be here 7/26? Now it's saying 7/2! Would be SO EXCELLENT to get it right before the 4th weekend... I will hit that break-in NO problem!
Mine got in yesterday two weeks ahead of scheduled delivery. According to my SA Porsche communication system was not working properly last three weeks so they had no idea car was coming.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (06-17-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 11:41 PM
718_Someday
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I’ve been in the market for a brand new 718 GT4 and I’ve learned a lot since I started following this forum. Im located in San Antonio Texas and I literally called all 10 Texas Porsche dealerships to be on the allocation list. Some are asking me to purchase another vehicle from them first so I can have some “priority” on their list, others didn’t even bother to return the call/email when I leave a message. Looks like I decided to purchase this car on the worst moment. One dealership today asked for a copy of my drivers license and insurance to “show the manufacturer they have another client in line”, and “increase the chances to get an allocation” Should I send that info? As anyone ever been asked to provide this documents to be on allocation list? Thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2021, 11:50 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by 718_Someday
Hi, I’ve been in the market for a brand new 718 GT4 and I’ve learned a lot since I started following this forum. Im located in San Antonio Texas and I literally called all 10 Texas Porsche dealerships to be on the allocation list. Some are asking me to purchase another vehicle from them first so I can have some “priority” on their list, others didn’t even bother to return the call/email when I leave a message. Looks like I decided to purchase this car on the worst moment. One dealership today asked for a copy of my drivers license and insurance to “show the manufacturer they have another client in line”, and “increase the chances to get an allocation” Should I send that info? As anyone ever been asked to provide this documents to be on allocation list? Thanks in advance
I do not see a problem with that...the dealer gets that info from customers all the time, and they probably want to know if you are serious.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:08 AM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Seems kinda stupid to provide this information. What they’re essentially doing is putting in a demand order. But I have not heard anyone asking for insurance. But no harm in providing such info.

What you should do is frequently go to the dealer and get to own the sales manager. That is what I did with one of the local dealerships and was able to get a GT4 allocation. Also try calling dealers outside of Texas, maybe in the mid-west.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:20 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,903 Likes on 2,207 Posts

What did Porsche of San Antonio say? I’ve found that they are very upfront and reputable; at least that was my experience.

You are correct that it’s a bad time. My SA said the other week that the lists are long and getting calls all the time.

Call around or use a broker.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:12 PM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

My experience has been that when allocations are in short supply, dealers tend to favor local customers. Go visit the dealership that's closest and schmooze. Ask them to enter a demand order. Some dealers will ask for a deposit for the demand order and some will not. A Chicago dealer wanted 10% down just to enter a demand order. An Atlanta dealer wanted $2500. My local dealer wanted $0 until the allocation was assigned, then 10%.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:21 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

My experience has been that when allocations are in short supply, dealers tend to favor ADMs
The following 3 users liked this post by JPMD:
Alan C. (06-28-2021), IrwinMFletcher (06-24-2021), jj99c2 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:31 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by choeglund
My experience has been that when allocations are in short supply, dealers tend to favor local customers. Go visit the dealership that's closest and schmooze. Ask them to enter a demand order. Some dealers will ask for a deposit for the demand order and some will not. A Chicago dealer wanted 10% down just to enter a demand order. An Atlanta dealer wanted $2500. My local dealer wanted $0 until the allocation was assigned, then 10%.
^This 100%. Go local and just make them know you as a customer. Make sure they submit a demand order for you. And although I hate to tell someone to put a deposit on a demand order, I guess there is not much you can do.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:26 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Without providing driver license info you’re not likely getting a demand order, nor are you getting taken seriously. Insurance info may be to see what vehicle you currently drive to see if you are a flipper or not, otherwise I see no purpose for that.

However, if you actually want to buy one why wouldn’t you give that info? Same with a deposit. I would also completely ignore all the dealerships that said you should buy a whatever from them to have a better shot at an allocation. All that tells me is they probably do not pay attention to the order of their list and anytime some vip or guy throwing big ADM money at it shows up wanting an allocation someone on the list gets their allocation spot sold out from under them.

Also, as said it’s probably best to go down in person if you’re serious. I special ordered a merc GLS entirely without meeting anyone at the dealership all by text and email, but those are only a little bit hard to get right now. A GT car is potentially impossible to get at some dealers, or a very long wait at another, or possibly easy to get at a few. Best to go down and chit chat and feel the dealers out.
P-car-Vancouver (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:52 PM
718_Someday
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate everyone’s recommendations. I’ll send that info today. Regarding my experience with the San Antonio dealer, it was actually not bad, I spoke to the sales guy and he send me an email to confirm what we discussed . Im definitely stopping by later this week to meet them in person.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:56 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,903 Likes on 2,207 Posts

I appreciate everyone’s recommendations. I’ll send that info today. Regarding my experience with the San Antonio dealer, it was actually not bad, I spoke to the sales guy and he send me an email to confirm what we discussed . Im definitely stopping by later this week to meet them in person.
I’ve got nothing but great things to say about San Antonio. My SA was Mark Rodriguez…he’s a straight shooter.
718_Someday (06-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocation Tracker