Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4/Spyder Colours Photo Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 10:39 PM
jayson
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 142 Posts

I really like this color combo.

The following 2 users liked this post by jayson:
FazedChicken (02-28-2020), n4v4nod (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:11 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson

I agree.

The following users liked this post:
CDACH (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 07:51 AM
swagon
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
I'll second that, big fan of a dark blue car with red interior (and top!). Maybe i'm a little biased though, as I'd love this spec to go along with my E46:
Wow, ZCP with manual seats!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 AM
911 JOE
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m collecting my Spyder from my OPC next Friday and I absolutely cannot wait – I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas.

In the interim, she’s been receiving Paint Correction, Full PPF and Ceramic.

The following 5 users liked this post by 911 JOE:
JSF101 (02-28-2020), masti99 (02-28-2020), n4v4nod (02-28-2020), tossero (02-28-2020), Underblu (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:56 AM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

This is the spec I plan on ordering once PDK comes out Minus the PCCB though. Other top contender is lizard green with the gold wheels if that becomes available.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:25 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 JOE
I’m collecting my Spyder from my OPC next Friday and I absolutely cannot wait – I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas.
In the interim, she’s been receiving Paint Correction, Full PPF and Ceramic.
Congratulations!

I've always wondered why a brand new paint job needs a correction before ceramic coating! If you take the car straight to the coater without washing during PDI (pre-delivery inspection), what sort of blemishes would it have warranting correction?
Old 02-28-2020, 03:57 PM
911 JOE
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations!

I've always wondered why a brand new paint job needs a correction before ceramic coating! If you take the car straight to the coater without washing during PDI (pre-delivery inspection), what sort of blemishes would it have warranting correction?
Thanks the_rider,

Even manufacturers such as Porsche are still operating a mass production line with limits on the amount of time they can spend finishing/detailing each vehicles paintwork. They have what they perceive to be an ‘acceptable’ level of finish - The car will have minor paint imperfections such as swirls or holograms.

My Spyder is solid black, the colour most susceptible to swirls/holograms etc...and so the paint correction stage to remove these and enhance the gloss/mirror finish is key, especially when you are investing in full PPF (Paint Protection Film) which that finish will then be ‘locked’ underneath. The final step is then to Ceramic over the PPF for an enhanced gloss/mirror finish as well as making it easier/quicker to maintain/clean going forward i.e the Ceramic stops dirt bonding to the PPF, water beads etc...
wcw67 (03-12-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 04:09 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911 JOE
............. They have what they perceive to be an ‘acceptable’ level of finish - The car will have minor paint imperfections such as swirls or holograms.

.......... The final step is then to Ceramic over the PPF for an enhanced gloss/mirror finish as well as making it easier/quicker to maintain/clean going forward i.e the Ceramic stops dirt bonding to the PPF, water beads etc...
Got it. Makes sense. Ceramic coating the film sounds interesting. Film being a film, might allow the water to bead off nicely. However, I can see ceramic coating it to avoid/minimize swirl marks and minor scratches. Black is a difficult color to keep clean; so, your extra-protective measures would help mitigate some of the challenges.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:12 PM
jayson
Pro

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
This is the spec I plan on ordering once PDK comes out Minus the PCCB though. Other top contender is lizard green with the gold wheels if that becomes available.
I am with you, would love PCCB but it blows my budget out of the water.

This is my spec at the moment: http://www.porsche-code.com/PL19H498
I wonder if I will really care about standard vs. leather interior. :\
Old 02-28-2020, 04:43 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Get rubber dash, means less alcantara. No one even notices I have the base interior on my GT3 unless they are real porsche people.
The following 2 users liked this post by evilfij:
jayson (02-28-2020), wdr911 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 05:00 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Got it. Makes sense. Ceramic coating the film sounds interesting. Film being a film, might allow the water to bead off nicely. However, I can see ceramic coating it to avoid/minimize swirl marks and minor scratches. Black is a difficult color to keep clean; so, your extra-protective measures would help mitigate some of the challenges.
Modern film is self healing meaning it'll heal the scratches with some hot water or being out in the sunlight. It doesn't bead as well as you think. Might honestly be worse than bare clear coat. The coating is like applying that extra layer of clear coat on the film. It'll give it the luster and shine and hydrophobic capabilities and also, you're right, help protect somewhat further. It's primary purpose isn't protection though but it does exist at some thickness.

Black will absolutely show the swirls and hammers and holograms. Other colors aren't as susceptible. Also, the film will cover a lot of the scratches you see. If there's a scratch, there's a valley where the scratch is in the clear coat. This valley reflects/refracts light. The film covers that valley and so it appears like less of a scratch there or entirely gone because the light can't refract off of it in the same way (hits the film instead). Again, that still depends on paint color. Some people also notice it more than others or will know there are imperfections and want them gone.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Get rubber dash, means less alcantara. No one even notices I have the base interior on my GT3 unless they are real porsche people.
I could see that rubber from all the way out here!
evilfij (03-02-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 05:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Completely your call, the standard interior is, well just ok, but if that is all you want or can afford the it doesn't make any difference how the car drives, but if you care how it looks then leather provides a good step up to the interior finish.

Nice build BTW, cool colour and subtle stitching in the interior.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blackholescion
Modern film is self healing meaning it'll heal the scratches with some hot water or being out in the sunlight. It doesn't bead as well as you think. ................... Also, the film will cover a lot of the scratches you see. If there's a scratch, there's a valley where the scratch is in the clear coat. ..............
Good explanation. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:48 PM
jayson
Pro

Originally Posted by evilfij
I sort of agree w this on a GT car, more utilitarian / purpose built vs. luxury car. That's what my thinking is at least.

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Completely your call, the standard interior is, well just ok, but if that is all you want or can afford the it doesn't make any difference how the car drives, but if you care how it looks then leather provides a good step up to the interior finish.

Nice build BTW, cool colour and subtle stitching in the interior.
I still haven't totally made up my mind, I think its gonna come down to how many extra pennies I can save before getting my allocation.
Westcoast (02-29-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4/Spyder Colours Photo Thread...