Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Confirms End of ICE For Cayman/Boxter

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 06:49 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

In the US. Didn't know Porsche could get away building more GT cars, but if that's the case, then I understand. I don't feel the GT4 and Spyder were true GT cars (just souped-up GTS 4.0s indeed), so not a big loss indeed. The GTS 4.0 is probably a more appealing model in both cases (coupe and convertible). And in a way, glad Porsche is increasing production of GT cars, to bring down (or eliminate) the ridiculous markups dealers are still getting away with. But the bad news is for owners who paid them, since prices should come down dramatically. Interesting times.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-12-2024 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:35 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
In the US. Didn't know Porsche could get away building more GT cars, but if that's the case, then I understand. I don't feel the GT4 and Spyder were true GT cars (just souped-up GTS 4.0s indeed), so not a big loss indeed. The GTS 4.0 is probably a more appealing model in both cases (coupe and convertible). And in a way, glad Porsche is increasing production of GT cars, to bring down (or eliminate) the ridiculous markups dealers are still getting away with. But the bad news is for owners who paid them, since prices should come down dramatically. Interesting times.
What exactly is your definition of a “true GT car”, if a 718 Spyder and GT4 don’t meet it? Suppose a purpose built motor not available in any incarnation in a non-GT car?

Last edited by PTSFX; 07-12-2024 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:40 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,269 Likes on 710 Posts

I dont know if i'd go that far claiming they were not true GTs. Both the GT4 and Spyder both had suspension parts from the previous gen GT3 and the interior is basically an updated 991.2 interior. Sure while the engine itself is not a bespoke GT engine like the one in the GT3 was, it was still a 911 engine. Many people consider the GT4 the entry level GT car. But even then this follows their standard production formula. Now that the RS versions are out, there was only about 1 year of crossover until only the RS versions are sold for the final year. Same thing happened as the 991.2 GT3 and GT3RS cross over and the same is about to happen with the 992 GT3 and GT3RS. While the GT4 sold longer than most GT3, a lot of that was mostly due to COVID.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:52 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster
Access to chargers is a challenge for many, and in that case, either their lifestyle has to change or they should just keep ICE cars. EVs are not for everyone.

however, it is great for me as I have easy access to a charger. I have never ran into problems as it’s extremely rare I need to drive for longer distance than a full charge.

ICE drivetrains just need more work. The EVs have so little wear and tear parts relatively. My family has a Model X, and it’s still on the original battery and everything except for suspension after about 100,000miles. Put an ICE in there, the cost of all the fluids and other random parts would have cost a lot more, and the car would have spent a lot more in the shop repairing. The only thing that EVs tend to rack up a higher bill on is the tires, especially with the Tesla. it almost felt like the suspension is fundamentally flawed and has messed up design. The outside of the tires wear out disproportionally quicker compared to other cars at home— alignment was checked and all that

I don’t care about the instant torque from an acceleration perspective. I have a iX1. It does 0-60mph in some 5.5 seconds or whatever. I don’t think I have done anything more than 50pcf of accelerator since day one, and most of the time I just do 20-30pct max. Where EVs really shine is the smooth acceleration, and the totally precise/accurate accelerator response especially on BMWs. The instant torque is huge for comfort as I am able to control things far better and more accurately around town. Many passengers, including extremely picky ones, have made complements about how comfortable the ride is in my iX1. I live in a hilly area with a lot of tighter turns. The mix of lower center of gravity, regen on coasting downhill, and extremely linear and predictable throttle response all add up to a much more comfortable ride. My kids are extremely fussed about ride quality, and they have no clue what is an EV. The pretty much think all other cars are dizzy after sitting in the iX1, which is the lowest model from BMW. It’s not even using premium suspension that iX uses.

I agree on the Tesla observation. Unfortunately, many think it’s cool to put the accelerator to the floor all the time. Another problem is because EVs have such low center of gravity, often times you don’t notice roll on the car. So drivers probably think the car has a lot more to go before grip is gone, but clearly not the case especially with such a heavy car.. On top of that the acceleration is just too easily accessible with no sound and everything else to scare you. Another problem is Tesla calls the modes “comfort” and “standard” or something for the accelerator. The car defaults to “standard”, which is far too aggressive in response. They should have named it “comfort” and “sport”, while defaulting to comfort mode. Average drivers are just not patient enough to feather the accelerator to achieve better comfort and safety. Teslas really aren't the greatest EVs out there. The suspension really isn't the most comfortable out there.

EVs don’t need more room to stop. For the same speed, using same distance, the passengers are feeling less of a jolt/brake dive as well. The whole ride experience is just better. EVs don’t have an issue with brakes under normal circumstance, it’s just people driving those teslas are pushing way beyond the limit. These guys would still crash when driving a 3000lbs car instead of a 4500lbs EV. It’s only because things are so quiet and the acceleration is no sound, no feedback, and nothing to scare the driver.
Interesting points. But i also wonder if your point about the maintenance after 100k miles might be a bit colored based on your car history? (of which i dont know what it is). 3 of my first cars were hondas and all had close to 200k miles by the time i had parted with them. Granted used...but still the point is they lasted (and kept going) well past the 100k mark and all i was doing was regular oil changes which at the time costed me 60$ a year? With tire wear as bad as it is on Teslas thats a much more steep yearly cost. But at the same time they dont really make Hondas like they used to so maybe theres that.

I think it really just comes down to preference. Everything that you talked about loving about your EVs is basically the exact reason why i dislike them. You cant feel anything and the way the throttle responds is super jarring to me. But we are also in very different life situations. You have kids, my wife and i dont want any. You need to transport people around, my wife and I will choose sports cars pretty much every time. At one point we just had my GT4 and she had a GR86 and thats how we live. I am however glad that the EV does work out for you. Its not for me, but i can understand the benefits it offers.
Old 07-12-2024, 08:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,074 Posts

I don't feel the GT4 and Spyder were true GT cars (just souped-up GTS 4.0s indeed), so not a big loss indeed.
Based on the comment above I don't think you understand or appreciate the difference between the 718 GT cars and GTS models.

Think the PAG technical press release still available which does a great job explaining the GT4/Spyder. Only commonality to GTS is the detuned motor.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:09 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

It's basically the same engine, same transmission (just with a shorter shifter, that you can retrofit to the others), same interior, same suspension, all with minor changes. It's just marketing IMO, but to each his own. And yes, I drove one, and the same day as a GT2RS and GT3RS (although not hard at all, since they weren't mine). It didn't feel special to me, to be a true GT car. Might be in the minority, but that's my opinion. Sorry. And yes, I bet a GT4RS probably drives the best, even if it's not the fastest GT car. Shame it's not made in manual anymore, since true GT manual transmissions/shifters (with rod linkages, not cable ones) are sublime.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-12-2024 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2024, 11:20 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,074 Posts

It's basically the same engine, same transmission (just with a shorter shifter, that you can retrofit to the others), same interior, same suspension, all with minor changes. It's just marketing IMO, but to each his own.
Engine RL higher, more hp, peak hp 600 rpms higher, wider tq band by like 300 rpm…but close enough and tune makes them same.

Entire front clip 991.2 GT3. Chassis mounts all ball jointed. Steering rack different

Rear set up bespoke to GT cars.

Springs, bars, PASM all different. Helper springs etc lower by 10mm

Wheels and offsets different. Brakes different. Cup2 standard in different sizes

PSM different with selectable modes

PDK transmission GT programmed, manual selectable auto blip.

Cooling circuitry and functionality different.

Aero significantly different.

Probably some other technical stuff.

I’m not saying one is better than the other…but rather it’s more than a short shifter and some “suspension stuff”.
The following 5 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Bearrun21 (07-13-2024), ldamelio (07-13-2024), Mike981S (07-13-2024), TubaFreak (07-13-2024), Watfam (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 05:42 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 184 Posts

…same suspension...
Incorrect. As pointed out in the post above, the suspension, among other things, is completely different.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTSFX:
ldamelio (07-13-2024), Watfam (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 02:04 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 163 Posts

Thank you @TXshaggy for that summary list.

As an owner of a CGTS 4.0 and a 718 Spyder--both stock in the set-up--I feel the difference / sharpness in just slightly aggressive street driving. In fact, I'd like to get just a few hours of my life back from all the times I come back from driving my CGTS and start browsing GT4 listings.

I am not Johnny Race Car Hero...and WOW did Porsche differentiate these cars.
Old 07-13-2024, 04:22 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

It's basically the same engine, same transmission (just with a shorter shifter, that you can retrofit to the others), same interior, same suspension, all with minor changes. It's just marketing IMO, but to each his own. And yes, I drove one, and the same day as a GT2RS and GT3RS (although not hard at all, since they weren't mine). It didn't feel special to me, to be a true GT car. Might be in the minority, but that's my opinion. Sorry. And yes, I bet a GT4RS probably drives the best, even if it's not the fastest GT car. Shame it's not made in manual anymore, since true GT manual transmissions/shifters (with rod linkages, not cable ones) are sublime.
I wonder if the "not feel special to me" is partially influenced by your biased towards the car in general. The fact that you feel its basically the same car as the GTS but with a body kit tells me that either you havnt driven either hard enough to tell the difference, or you've just been seduced by the nature of a much higher end and more expensive GT car. You talked about basically comparing it to a GT2RS and GT3RS. Well of course when driving those back to back, the GT4 is NOT going to feel special. You are talking about comparing a GT4 to 2 RS variants, one of which is the turbo version of the other. Of course a GT4 isnt going to "feel as special". Like with everything there are going to be different levels to them. And the GT4 sits at the bottom of the GT ladder. That doesnt make it any less GT than the rest of them, just like how the M2 sits at the bottom of the M ladder for BMW. But noone is out there saying that the M2 is not a true M car, hell if anything people are saying its the truest M car.

Keep in mind also that Porsche released the GTS 4.0 after already releasing a 2.5 turbo GTS. Had the GTS never recieved the 4.0 engine, i wonder if your thought about the GT4 "being basically the same" would be different. Because i think the reason the GT3 feels so different from the other 911 trim levels is because all of them are turbo charged. The GT3/RS is NA which gives it a completely different feeling and due to that, it can feel more special. I think Porsche achieved that with the GT4 when the GTS was still a turbo engine. Its just the gap seemed to close a bit once the GTS recieved the 4.0.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
KingSize.Hamster (Today), NA4.0 (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 09:41 AM
NA4.0
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The GT4/Spyder suspension is completely different. The front end is inherited from the 991 GT3 and there are rose joints all around etc. Drive them back to back and you can easily tell. Even the manual transmission feels different.
Old Today, 02:45 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Interesting points. But i also wonder if your point about the maintenance after 100k miles might be a bit colored based on your car history? (of which i dont know what it is). 3 of my first cars were hondas and all had close to 200k miles by the time i had parted with them. Granted used...but still the point is they lasted (and kept going) well past the 100k mark and all i was doing was regular oil changes which at the time costed me 60$ a year? With tire wear as bad as it is on Teslas thats a much more steep yearly cost. But at the same time they dont really make Hondas like they used to so maybe theres that.
Well. For my gasoline cars, I'm not referring to anything crazy. My Honda Odyssey (JDM version) had around 70,000 miles on it when I sold it. Ignoring the AC problems I had, and arguably a set of brake rotors+pads (though in reality EVs rarely need these changed), I've had alternator gone and fluids that only ICE cars needed. Tranny oil every 10,000-15,000miles (it gets quite ugly cuz of CVT), annual engine oil changes, and a coolant flush + spark plugs in between. All these things add up. Labor isn't cheap in where I live. One service from any reasonably competent mechanic would cost me ~US$700 outside of brake fluid (excluding it cuz EVs will need that too), excluding any one-off item that could come in. Had the car for 7-8 years? So just fluids alone are costing me some US$5K+ over probably 8 services or something. That's the amount I don't need to spend on fluids on an EV. There is a lot of city driving involved, so I'm also doing maintenance a lot more frequently than what most would consider as "normal" in North America. The only thing about EVs is their weight, which does wear out tires a little faster (but licensing fee is some US$1000 cheaper for EVs per year in where I live ... so that's another incentive).

Anyway, yes, EV isn't for everyone, and it's more of an appliance for a family car (or get around town car). Can't beat ICE for sportscars for sure. In fact, I don't even see how that's remotely possible ...

EVs are great city cars, but that's about it. And they only make sense if you can charge them at home IMO. Sooner, rather than later, there will be long lines to charge them if they keep selling, as the charging infrastructure is just not there yet. I bought a new '21 Tesla M3 LR for my wife, and we were heavily disappointed at all the disadvantages we didn't know about, and issues with the car. And I did quite a bit of research. But fortunately, we used it for 1-yr/10K-miles, and sold it for a total profit (including TTL, all accessories, and a 240V home charger) of $3K+, so basically we got paid to try it for a year. We traveled 3 times with it, and it was awful (free supercharging). That's when we knew it was strictly a city car, which wasn't the use we had for it. We're not going to consider any EV again, until battery technology becomes much better... if it ever does. Our only chance in the short term is Toyota having success with their solid-state experiment due next year. In the mean time, just ICE 4-cyl cars, which are the most efficient possible.
Well Tesla is Tesla. Those cars have a whole host of different problems in terms of quality control and ride quality lol

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; Today at 02:54 AM.
Old Today, 03:22 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

The "special" factor means different things to different people. I have a 7.2 base GT3 and a first gen GT4. I do think both cars are special in their own way. Porsche basically just introduced new shades to the spectrum with the introduction of these Caymans. Whether they call it a Cayman GT4 or a Cayman R or Cayman Blah, it doesn't really fundamentally change what these cars are. The GT4 is priced below a base model 911, and it has a fairly adjustable suspension with reasonably reliable cooling system and other tweaks. I think the most un-special thing on paper about the car is it doesn't have dry-sump setup. Frankly some even consider the GT4RS as a disappointment versus the GT3RS cars.

That said, what shows up on paper isn't always the full story. Much like how the British manufacturer's new car around the block gets a lot of attention and positive reviews because the car still offers a manual gearbox in mid-engine layout with hydraulic steering running around in double wishbone suspension. It sounds fantastic on paper and is as special as it gets for anyone who wants those specs and doesn't want to drive another Porsche. It's a great looking car. However, how the car actually drives may differ quite a bit from expectations. In reality, it's about coherence and overall driving experience that all these specs and specialness discussions don't capture.

At the end, it's just a matter of which car aligns with the specs/preference vs budget one has in mind.

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; Today at 03:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Confirms End of ICE For Cayman/Boxter