Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Confirms End of ICE For Cayman/Boxter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 05:31 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,658 Likes on 1,250 Posts

I've had and have Hybrids (Honda Civic and BMW X5) and full EV's as well (KIA EV6 and BMW i4). Particularly with the X5 and ever more so with the i4 . . . . once you've had a good EV, and none of ours have ever given any trouble, it becomes really hard to justify an ICE drive-train. I really hope Porsche's EV Boxters and Cayman's hit it out of the park. I hope they're good enough that I'll be convinced to sell my C2S in favor of an EV Cayman.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
KingSize.Hamster (07-11-2024), miara_bart (07-13-2024), NA4.0 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 01:20 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,269 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I've had and have Hybrids (Honda Civic and BMW X5) and full EV's as well (KIA EV6 and BMW i4). Particularly with the X5 and ever more so with the i4 . . . . once you've had a good EV, and none of ours have ever given any trouble, it becomes really hard to justify an ICE drive-train. I really hope Porsche's EV Boxters and Cayman's hit it out of the park. I hope they're good enough that I'll be convinced to sell my C2S in favor of an EV Cayman.
I'm curious what about your EV's make it hard for you to justify an ICE drive train? Of course theres the obvious "dont have to pay for gas" but for me thats offset by how long it takes for you to charge back to full.

For me while i dont own any EVs, plenty of my friends do, and what they've had to go through is enough to show me that an EV would be more of a hassle than a boon. My friend the other day had range anxiety as he was at 9% charge left and was trying to make his way to a charger and just wasnt sure if he could make it. He doesnt live in a house with a garage that he can use, and while he gets free charging at work, it was a long weekend so he didnt need to go in. Also he drives a Tesla and the build quality on that car is horrible so theres also that...but thats mostly a Tesla thing.

My other friend constantly complains about the range in his EV6, he loves the car but he doesnt like how he cant do a long trip in it unless he specifically plans out a route that has chargers. So instead he takes his hybrid because he can just use gas if he needs to.

And for me i just hate how they drive, The instant torque was fun for like 2 seconds but i actually hate it after driving a Tesla for an extended time when i rent one. Also the 1 pedal driving needs to just go away. It's easily the worst part about the whole EV driving experience. Also i hate how most EVs are relying on the whole 1 screen do everything mentality. Call me old school but all i want is a volume **** and climate control buttons. Make everything else go through the screen fine, but i hate needing to do more than 2 actions just to do something like turn on my AC.

I can see the benefits of EVs, but so many things need to change before i jump onto that bandwagon. Range would need to double, or charging time would need to be cut down significantly. I personally would like to see performance on EVs to be toned down a lot. I personally believe that the instant torque and speed that EVs can give you plus the fact that many average drivers dont actually know how to handle a car that goes that fast results in a lot more accidents and crappy driving nowadays than before. 9/10 accidents i see in my area (and theres about 1 every day at minimum) are caused or have a Tesla involved. I think your average driver doesnt know that a 4000lb vehicle needs significantly more room to stop than their old Honda Civic.
The following users liked this post:
TubaFreak (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 01:47 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I'm curious what about your EV's make it hard for you to justify an ICE drive train? Of course theres the obvious "dont have to pay for gas" but for me thats offset by how long it takes for you to charge back to full.

For me while i dont own any EVs, plenty of my friends do, and what they've had to go through is enough to show me that an EV would be more of a hassle than a boon. My friend the other day had range anxiety as he was at 9% charge left and was trying to make his way to a charger and just wasnt sure if he could make it. He doesnt live in a house with a garage that he can use, and while he gets free charging at work, it was a long weekend so he didnt need to go in. Also he drives a Tesla and the build quality on that car is horrible so theres also that...but thats mostly a Tesla thing.

My other friend constantly complains about the range in his EV6, he loves the car but he doesnt like how he cant do a long trip in it unless he specifically plans out a route that has chargers. So instead he takes his hybrid because he can just use gas if he needs to.

And for me i just hate how they drive, The instant torque was fun for like 2 seconds but i actually hate it after driving a Tesla for an extended time when i rent one. Also the 1 pedal driving needs to just go away. It's easily the worst part about the whole EV driving experience. Also i hate how most EVs are relying on the whole 1 screen do everything mentality. Call me old school but all i want is a volume **** and climate control buttons. Make everything else go through the screen fine, but i hate needing to do more than 2 actions just to do something like turn on my AC.

I can see the benefits of EVs, but so many things need to change before i jump onto that bandwagon. Range would need to double, or charging time would need to be cut down significantly. I personally would like to see performance on EVs to be toned down a lot. I personally believe that the instant torque and speed that EVs can give you plus the fact that many average drivers dont actually know how to handle a car that goes that fast results in a lot more accidents and crappy driving nowadays than before. 9/10 accidents i see in my area (and theres about 1 every day at minimum) are caused or have a Tesla involved. I think your average driver doesnt know that a 4000lb vehicle needs significantly more room to stop than their old Honda Civic.
Access to chargers is a challenge for many, and in that case, either their lifestyle has to change or they should just keep ICE cars. EVs are not for everyone.

however, it is great for me as I have easy access to a charger. I have never ran into problems as it’s extremely rare I need to drive for longer distance than a full charge.

ICE drivetrains just need more work. The EVs have so little wear and tear parts relatively. My family has a Model X, and it’s still on the original battery and everything except for suspension after about 100,000miles. Put an ICE in there, the cost of all the fluids and other random parts would have cost a lot more, and the car would have spent a lot more in the shop repairing. The only thing that EVs tend to rack up a higher bill on is the tires, especially with the Tesla. it almost felt like the suspension is fundamentally flawed and has messed up design. The outside of the tires wear out disproportionally quicker compared to other cars at home— alignment was checked and all that

I don’t care about the instant torque from an acceleration perspective. I have a iX1. It does 0-60mph in some 5.5 seconds or whatever. I don’t think I have done anything more than 50pcf of accelerator since day one, and most of the time I just do 20-30pct max. Where EVs really shine is the smooth acceleration, and the totally precise/accurate accelerator response especially on BMWs. The instant torque is huge for comfort as I am able to control things far better and more accurately around town. Many passengers, including extremely picky ones, have made complements about how comfortable the ride is in my iX1. I live in a hilly area with a lot of tighter turns. The mix of lower center of gravity, regen on coasting downhill, and extremely linear and predictable throttle response all add up to a much more comfortable ride. My kids are extremely fussed about ride quality, and they have no clue what is an EV. The pretty much think all other cars are dizzy after sitting in the iX1, which is the lowest model from BMW. It’s not even using premium suspension that iX uses.

I agree on the Tesla observation. Unfortunately, many think it’s cool to put the accelerator to the floor all the time. Another problem is because EVs have such low center of gravity, often times you don’t notice roll on the car. So drivers probably think the car has a lot more to go before grip is gone, but clearly not the case especially with such a heavy car.. On top of that the acceleration is just too easily accessible with no sound and everything else to scare you. Another problem is Tesla calls the modes “comfort” and “standard” or something for the accelerator. The car defaults to “standard”, which is far too aggressive in response. They should have named it “comfort” and “sport”, while defaulting to comfort mode. Average drivers are just not patient enough to feather the accelerator to achieve better comfort and safety. Teslas really aren't the greatest EVs out there. The suspension really isn't the most comfortable out there.

EVs don’t need more room to stop. For the same speed, using same distance, the passengers are feeling less of a jolt/brake dive as well. The whole ride experience is just better. EVs don’t have an issue with brakes under normal circumstance, it’s just people driving those teslas are pushing way beyond the limit. These guys would still crash when driving a 3000lbs car instead of a 4500lbs EV. It’s only because things are so quiet and the acceleration is no sound, no feedback, and nothing to scare the driver.

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; 07-11-2024 at 01:50 PM.
NA4.0 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 07:23 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I haven't been keeping up so apologies if this is widely known but do we know if the next GT4/Boxster Spyder will be ICE?

Last edited by PTSGT3; 07-11-2024 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 08:32 PM
NA4.0
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion

All good points and I 100% agree with you on how EVs have made stupid straight-line speed available to complete Yobs who lack even the most rudimentary understanding of vehicle dynamics. I was talking with a friend and colleague who also happens to be one of the leading economists in the US (think Fed advisor level) and she corroborated the data about the current crop of EVs being a poor choice for people who don't own a detached home or have convenient overnight access to chargers. Given the comparatively sparse charging infrastructure in the US compared to say EU or China, we are unlikely see mass adoption of EVs by renters and attached-home owners.

That said, I cannot wait to get a EV in the mix alongside my 1M and GTS. My main quibble has been the lack of a matching candidate, and with the reveal of the Rivian R3x, that problem has been solved for me. A good looking, high quality, US Made, Small EV SUV to play daily driver alongside my ICE toys? What's not to love?

gymdent (07-13-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 08:44 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
I haven't been keeping up so apologies if this is widely known but do we know if the next GT4/Boxster Spyder will be ICE?
There isn't going to be a next generation of these. Done. Over. Finito.
Very disappointed.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:32 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSGT3
As mentioned above, NOPE. So you have a little less than a year, to place an order. Production reportedly ceases in early August. I got one of the last '24 orders, and freeze date was 6/17. So it should be the same thing next year. Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:55 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
As mentioned above, NOPE. So you have a little less than a year, to place an order. Production reportedly ceases in early August. I got one of the last '24 orders, and freeze date was 6/17. So it should be the same thing next year. Hope this helps.
I thought the base model GT4 and Spyders have already been discontinued, and customers could only order them RS-variants.

Either case, maybe Porsche will bring out a 4RS with no aero with 3 pedals. Might still be a chance there

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; 07-11-2024 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:21 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Depends on the market. I'm in the US, where all models will sell in '25, as far as I know. The EU market will get RSs for sure, but not sure about the GT4 and Spyder. The lesser models (all H4Ts, and GTS 4.0s) are out for sure, as well as all Macans, for what I've heard. I have no idea about other markets, like yours.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:00 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 184 Posts

Depends on the market. I'm in the US, where all models will sell in '25, as far as I know. The EU market will get RSs for sure, but not sure about the GT4 and Spyder. The lesser models (all H4Ts, and GTS 4.0s) are out for sure, as well as all Macans, for what I've heard. I have no idea about other markets, like yours.
In the US GT4 and Spyder production has already ended.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:17 PM
livfreely
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

😂 lol…yeah like there are no pre 1970 Porsches around.

ICE Caymans/Boxters will be classics, and yes, they still will be around
Old 07-12-2024, 12:42 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PTSFX
In the US GT4 and Spyder production has already ended.
Just checked the configurator, and they're gone indeed. I wonder why. They had the same engine as the 4.0, but tuned slightly more aggressive. And it sold well, so why drop it here? Porsche makes some weird decisions.
Old 07-12-2024, 12:47 PM
matt0520
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
You do realize EVs have a lot of benefits right? While I like my sports cars to burn dinosaurs I totally understand the appeal of an EV sports car. My DD is an EV and it's a fantastic EV, a sports car could also be fantastic. I just want my weekend ride to feature explosions and noise. Garbage, however, they are not.
I mean you said it in the first couple sentences. As a daily/beater...EVs are fine. Which is why the Taycan, Macao EV, etc. fit the bill. EV as a fun weekend/sports car? Nah.

Last edited by matt0520; 07-12-2024 at 12:48 PM.
TubaFreak (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 03:26 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 915 Likes on 365 Posts

Because there are only so many production slots to go around and those are now being used for RS variants.

Just checked the configurator, and they're gone indeed. I wonder why. They had the same engine as the 4.0, but tuned slightly more aggressive. And it sold well, so why drop it here? Porsche makes some weird decisions.
Mike981S (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 05:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,074 Posts

What do you mean by “here”?

GT4 and Spyder discontinued year ago worldwide.

Just raise GTS prices to same level as GT cars…no loss

Quick Reply: Porsche Confirms End of ICE For Cayman/Boxter