Sponsored by:

Porsche Confirms End of ICE For Cayman/Boxter

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 09:11 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
You do realize EVs have a lot of benefits right? While I like my sports cars to burn dinosaurs I totally understand the appeal of an EV sports car. My DD is an EV and it's a fantastic EV, a sports car could also be fantastic. I just want my weekend ride to feature explosions and noise. Garbage, however, they are not.
What are the benefits of EV sports car?!
They weigh more.
More expensive to buy.
Less emotional with no sound.
No manual transmission option so less engaging.
No ability to modify performance for individual needs ie intake, exhaust, headers, tuning.
No gear changes even if pdk/auto.

EVs are only great to go fast in straight line with no drama and listen to music without any unnecessary car noise. Emissions is not a factor for most sports cars that are driven only on weekends mostly.
Old 07-09-2024, 10:11 PM
GTorBUST
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Buying a EV you are not buying a car. You are buying a appliance. Shows in the resale
The following 2 users liked this post by GTorBUST:
ldamelio (07-10-2024), matt0520 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 10:29 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

EVs are great city cars, but that's about it. And they only make sense if you can charge them at home IMO. Sooner, rather than later, there will be long lines to charge them if they keep selling, as the charging infrastructure is just not there yet. I bought a new '21 Tesla M3 LR for my wife, and we were heavily disappointed at all the disadvantages we didn't know about, and issues with the car. And I did quite a bit of research. But fortunately, we used it for 1-yr/10K-miles, and sold it for a total profit (including TTL, all accessories, and a 240V home charger) of $3K+, so basically we got paid to try it for a year. We traveled 3 times with it, and it was awful (free supercharging). That's when we knew it was strictly a city car, which wasn't the use we had for it. We're not going to consider any EV again, until battery technology becomes much better... if it ever does. Our only chance in the short term is Toyota having success with their solid-state experiment due next year. In the mean time, just ICE 4-cyl cars, which are the most efficient possible.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-09-2024 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 11:03 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm gonna guess whatever Porsche comes out with is going to absolutely CRUSH.
I'm not saying it will be more visceral than an ICE... But I have no doubt the numbers will be insane.
The following users liked this post:
OUGrad05 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 11:06 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
I'm gonna guess whatever Porsche comes out with is going to absolutely CRUSH.
I'm not saying it will be more visceral than an ICE... But I have no doubt the numbers will be insane.
Crush the heart and souls of real Porsche buyers. EV's are microwaves for the road. Nobody wants a microwaved steak.
The following 4 users liked this post by Airbag997:
hawgman (07-12-2024), IndigoInkTaco (07-10-2024), ldamelio (07-10-2024), sbsurfer (07-09-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 03:17 AM
crikett
AutoX

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
EVs are only great to go fast in straight line with no drama and listen to music without any unnecessary car noise. Emissions is not a factor for most sports cars that are driven only on weekends mostly.
It is such a shame they can't turn... just imagine if the GT4 ePerformance could actually go fast around corners, it probably would've been more than 2 seconds faster up Goodwill Hillclimb than a Mclaren P1 LM. Oh well, maybe at some point, there will be some signs of what kind of performance such a car could be capable of.
Mike981S (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 03:59 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

This is about EV vs ICE, and also about Cayman/Boxster itself.

I think Cayman/Boxster has done well over the years. Great fun and reliable car that offers respectable performance that people want. But let's be honest, what's next for Porsche? Every car on the road offers similar benchmark results. Where can Porsche continue to find the slot to innovate and progress? Frankly not a whole lot. Just look at where all the GT-cars have gone. They have pretty much hit the max of what street cars could do at the given price-point. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for Porsche to leave the scene at the highs of sales volume and brand image.

The EV adoption is real and is likely here to stay for a while, especially for family cars. They are great appliances. For sportscars, yes, it's arguable whether consumer behavior would change and adapt. Who knows? If sales figures plummet, maybe car manufacturers like Porsche will being back ICE sportscars. However, I'm not hopeful. Look at Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc On top of that regulations are only getting tighter and more restrictive. At the end, car manufacturers need to look at profit etc.

I am a little more optimistic about parts availability for these cars. There are plenty of OEM suppliers for Porsche parts over the years, starting from 986 generation. I don't think 982 will be an exception.

Meanwhile, just enjoy the ICE cars you have and see what comes up. Cars have realistically become so "digital" nowadays that they aren't really the same as ones from 1.5 decade ago. If Porsche continues to go down that route, it's inevitable it's just going to converge to what EVs are doing anyway.

Before that, maybe Porsche will come out with a variant with GT4RS engine+suspension, manual gearbox and less aero at at price tag of 35% above the 4RS ?
Old 07-10-2024, 09:21 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by crikett
It is such a shame they can't turn... just imagine if the GT4 ePerformance could actually go fast around corners, it probably would've been more than 2 seconds faster up Goodwill Hillclimb than a Mclaren P1 LM. Oh well, maybe at some point, there will be some signs of what kind of performance such a car could be capable of.
You don't get it. It's not just about the data. We know EVs can go fast and, when made by Porsche, not just in a straight line. There are things in life that give pleasure by providing a more visceral experience than newer technology. Think fine Swiss watch versus Casio. ICE sports cars are in the same boat.

I have no problem with progress and recognize that Porsche has to adapt to environmental and regulatory concerns. I think they did a great job with the mild hybrid 992GTS and its' electronically activated turbo. I wish they would have taken the 718 in this direction instead of pure EV.

Last edited by ldamelio; 07-10-2024 at 09:28 AM.
fasteddie99 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 10:51 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
I have no problem with progress and recognize that Porsche has to adapt to environmental and regulatory concerns. I think they did a great job with the mild hybrid 992GTS and its' electronically activated turbo. I wish they would have taken the 718 in this direction instead of pure EV.
Agreed!
matt0520 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 01:24 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
You do realize EVs have a lot of benefits right? While I like my sports cars to burn dinosaurs I totally understand the appeal of an EV sports car. My DD is an EV and it's a fantastic EV, a sports car could also be fantastic. I just want my weekend ride to feature explosions and noise. Garbage, however, they are not.
they day they can make an ev with the same range as my ice and that can be recharged as quickly as i can fill my gas tank will be the day i consider one.

Old 07-10-2024, 03:44 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorBUST
Porsche will regret this. Noone is buying that EV garbage.
I still don't understand who the market for EVs is. They do nothing for the environment. They are boring AF. Horrible resale. Tooling around town or the housing development? give me a golf cart instead.
fasteddie99 (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 04:07 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
I still don't understand who the market for EVs is. They do nothing for the environment. They are boring AF. Horrible resale. Tooling around town or the housing development? give me a golf cart instead.
That’d be everyone according to most governments. Whether you want one or not, it’ll be your only choice in the not too distant future.

Who wanted GPFs. Take a look around your house for more things you didn’t want but got regulated on you

The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
IndigoInkTaco (07-10-2024), TubaFreak (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 10:39 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
I still don't understand who the market for EVs is. They do nothing for the environment.
The potential market for EV is huge. Just because it doesn't work for most areas in the US due to (lack of) charging network and colder climates doesn't mean these cars don't work for other parts of the world. >80% of new non-commercial vehicle sales for major brands like BMW/Mercedes/Audi in where I live are EVs since 18 months ago. Dealers aren't even importing the ICE-variant when a BEV-one is available. Of course, one could argue this is a small data point. They are great appliances to get people around town. I had been skeptical about EVs before, but after actually owning one for nearly a year, it's hard to go back to ICE for what this car is supposed to do -- move people around comfortably and conveniently. I no longer have to make detours for gas stations, could pre-cool the car 15 minutes before getting into the car at 100F weather, and have far more comfortable ride around town.

In terms of doing nothing to the environment? Jury is still out on which one has an overall bigger carbon footprint and other issues that EVs do in terms of the materials needed to manufacture the batteries, as well as what source of power generation is used. However, something that's rarely discussed is how EVs bring down roadside pollution and noise levels tremendously. Just go to one of the major cities in China, and then compare that with other metro areas., The streets are far more quiet due to the massive adoption of EVs. Keep in mind China is able to force all the taxis and buses to convert to EVs due to how things work in that country, which are likely the major contributors of road side pollution and noise levels. It's a lot easier to manage greenhouse gas emitted at that single source (power plant) than having to deal with them when the gas is sprayed all over the city. On top of that, I am pretty sure the overall air quality around town is vastly improved due to the zero-emissions coming out of the car itself. This probably will translate to better health to people in the long run.

So yes. I disagree that there is no benefit to the environment, and there is definitely a market for EVs. Should ICEs be banned? No. There are practical reasons why we still need ICE cars. At the same time, we live in world that's very much based on a consumption culture that is built on top of brand image and lemmings of influencers/celebritites. In reality, most people don't buy these Porsches because they care whether the car is flat 6 NA or turbo flat 4 or EV or comes with a lawn mower engine. Look at how many more cars Porsche was able to sell when they moved to watercooled even when they ditched a the proper dry-sump setup? Then GT3/RS into PDK and dumping the hydraulic steerings? Then slashing 2 cylinders and adding a turbo to Cayman/Boxsters? Car sales maintained if not went up all along despite all these negative feedbacks OG car lovers said the brand is going downhill.

Most people are parrots of automotive journalists and will move on to newer tech as long as the product is considered new & cool. People will then rave about the new tech. Very soon there will be automotive journalists chirping about how awesome the 718 EVs are, and die-hard 981/982 fanatics will continue to sit on the side saying the EVs are crap. The EVs will continue to sell very well because it's a Porsche, and more new car sales are shifted towards EVs around the world.

It's inevitable this change is coming. Will EV-technology a forever-solution? I doubt it. But it's here to stay for a lot longer than most nay-sayers think. In the meantime, for those who have deeper pockets and want a new car, then at least there is still the 911 to hang around for a little longer in the hybrid space. For others who are fortunate enough to already own these great machines Porsche used to make? Keep them. And for everyone else ... go get one now! And if you are very upset about the brand and want to get out out? Sell the car to someone who wants it.

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; 07-10-2024 at 10:51 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by KingSize.Hamster:
miara_bart (07-13-2024), Mike981S (07-11-2024), TubaFreak (07-10-2024), Victory911 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 10:59 PM
OUGrad05
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
What are the benefits of EV sports car?!
They weigh more.
More expensive to buy.
Less emotional with no sound.
No manual transmission option so less engaging.
No ability to modify performance for individual needs ie intake, exhaust, headers, tuning.
No gear changes even if pdk/auto.

If you are seriously being that dense and one sided, it won't matter what anyone says, you'll completely gloss over the positives of EVs. As I clearly stated I prefer ICE for sports cars but that's my opinion.
KingSize.Hamster (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 02:44 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

The way I see it, after owning an EV for a year, is both should exist. EVs now are just city cars, but a great deal of green house gases are emitted by commuters, so replacing those with EVs would bring that down significantly. BUT, most countries need better charging infrastructure, including ours. The biggest polluters by far are buses, semis, ships, and planes, so there has to be a solution for that too. As far as pollution in general, some EV people pretend that if cars are a 10 in pollution, EVs are a 0, and that cannot be further from the truth. Like somebody said, they pollute differently, but considering the majority of electricity is produced with fossil fuels, they're not that far from ICE vehicles. Many folks put them at the same level (just different pollution). I'd probably put them at 8, so far from being pollution free. Nothing will be, so it' a 'choose your poison' kind of choice. I'm hoping Toyota is successful with solid state batteries, but we won't know until next year. We only want 2 vehicles, so no EVs for us until they're good enough for travel. But yes, I wouldn't have a problem going back to one again, if they become much better. Or when we don't need to (or can't) travel anymore, meaning a city car. The stereo on the Tesla was incredible, and the silent brutal acceleration a little addictive (ha ha). And it actually handled way better than I expected for such a tank. Another reality is that heavy road taxes are coming for EVs soon, since they don't pay any at the pump. Once they increase in numbers, it'll be inevitable. And that's going to make them less attractive. Oh, and another reason I got rid of the Tesla is the insurance went thru the roof after the 1st year, so sold it right before it renewed.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-11-2024 at 02:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JCtx:
KingSize.Hamster (07-11-2024), TubaFreak (07-11-2024), Victory911 (07-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche Confirms End of ICE For Cayman/Boxter