Sponsored by:

Leather Options

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
aventius
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leather Options

I'm ordering a new Boxster and getting the full leather package was hoping someone could add color to the following additional leather options - if they got them, did they like them, not like them, etc.. I've put my comment in parentheses.
  1. Dashboard Trim Package in Leather (probably the only package that the passengers will see a lot)
  2. Door Panel Trim Package in Leather (seems like most of it you'll never see except for the part where AIRBAG is)
  3. Steering Column Casing in Leather (Seems luxurious and completely ludicrous because the driver will never see it)
  4. Inner Door-Sill Guards in Leather (This appears to be the part NOT on the door... putting leather here seems a bit foolish)
The following users liked this post:
Spree17 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Always a fan of adding leather.

Steering column especially. You see it always. Door sill nice touch.

You getting a boxster and 18 ways? Do the seat backs.
Mike981S (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Having trouble uploading pics…but I’ll post some up.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by aventius
I'm ordering a new Boxster and getting the full leather package was hoping someone could add color to the following additional leather options - if they got them, did they like them, not like them, etc.. I've put my comment in parentheses.
  1. Dashboard Trim Package in Leather (probably the only package that the passengers will see a lot)
  2. Door Panel Trim Package in Leather (seems like most of it you'll never see except for the part where AIRBAG is)
  3. Steering Column Casing in Leather (Seems luxurious and completely ludicrous because the driver will never see it)
  4. Inner Door-Sill Guards in Leather (This appears to be the part NOT on the door... putting leather here seems a bit foolish)
My recommendation is to get one of the leather interiors. That's covers most of the interior in leather. I would cap it there.

But then on top of that I would rankL
1) Leather steering column with contrast stitching. You will see that from the drivers seat and it does elevate the interior. Plus it's not expensive.

2) Dashboard trim in leather - nice but I wouldn't pay for this. It's expensive and I don't think it elevates the interior very much because it's quite fringe and not that obvious.
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...spec-this.html

3) Door trim in leather - the important bits are already in leather with the leather interior.

4) Door sill in leather - dumb idea.
rasetsu (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Why? You never see a seat back in the Boxster. In a 911 cabriolet it is more visible especially if you order it with the trim inlay. I had seatback in leather on my 911 Turbo S and I barely noticed it was leather.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Why? You never see a seat back in the Boxster. In a 911 cabriolet it is more visible especially if you order it with the trim inlay. I had seatback in leather on my 911 Turbo S and I barely noticed it was leather.
When the top down you see the seat back. The plastic seat back doesn’t match anything.

People always comment on the leather seat backs. Plus the lower control panel also leather.
rasetsu (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,269 Likes on 710 Posts

I'm going to be on the opposite end of the spectrum here and say while i ordered the leather interior, i did not add anymore leather other than what that option changed. Dashboard i think is useless as you'll never really see it especially while sitting back. Door trim panel is up to you, but i like feeling the Alcantara there. I always brush it with the back of my hand when i go to close the door and it feels nice. Steering column casing i personally find is tacky but thats a personal choice. Door sill leather is just a waste of leather.

Take my choices with a grain of salt. i'll generally choose alcantara over leather. For me it feels more high quality and i find that done correctly, it makes the interior feel and look more premium. Leather is not really comfortable for me so i hate having it be what i'm directly sitting on, and from a visual standpoint i only like it as an accent and not the main show.

For me i have a Boxster coming in and i have kept the alcantara steering wheel as well as the alcantara seat centers.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
aventius
AutoX

Honestly - I'm thinking of keeping the sport plus manual seats. Only I drive it and I find those seats to be amazingly comfortable. No need to add the cost and complexity. My only thoughts about electric is resale.
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 222 Posts

Honestly - I'm thinking of keeping the sport plus manual seats. Only I drive it and I find those seats to be amazingly comfortable. No need to add the cost and complexity. My only thoughts about electric is resale.
Might have to agree with you. My others cars put the seat rearward when the key is turned off. I’m on the tall side so that is helpful for egress. In the case of the Boxster/Cayman, my driving position has the seat in the maximum rearward position already.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
aventius
AutoX

Originally Posted by justabout
Might have to agree with you. My others cars put the seat rearward when the key is turned off. I’m on the tall side so that is helpful for egress. In the case of the Boxster/Cayman, my driving position has the seat in the maximum rearward position already.
I'm 5'10", My seating position is maybe 1", 1.5" forward. No need to move it back to get out. No need to spend $2800 more or wait for seats to move back for egress. I've had cars that do that and honestly they're so slow I'm already out by the time they've moved already back.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,269 Likes on 710 Posts

I'm 5'10", My seating position is maybe 1", 1.5" forward. No need to move it back to get out. No need to spend $2800 more or wait for seats to move back for egress. I've had cars that do that and honestly they're so slow I'm already out by the time they've moved already back.
as a tall person i never understood how the seat moving back is supposed to help me get out. I always find myself colliding with the b-pillar or the door frame. I think sticking with the 2-ways is a good choice.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

When the top down you see the seat back. The plastic seat back doesn’t match anything.

People always comment on the leather seat backs. Plus the lower control panel also leather.
The best solution or the lower control panel IMO is the DB carbon version because it then flows with the carbon fiber trim if the vehicle is equipped with that.

Last edited by stealthpilot; Yesterday at 03:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Agree. Myseat position is actually touching the firewall so it is fully back and the seat backs are barely visible.
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 861 Likes on 530 Posts

My only thoughts about electric is resale.
Get this out of your head. Many people who actually get in and test drive a Cayman/Boxster before buying one also prefer the manual sport seats plus.
aventius (Yesterday)
Old Today, 04:41 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 839 Likes on 429 Posts

From my year of research on this awesome forum.....
  1. Dashboard Trim Package in Leather (probably the only package that the passengers will see a lot) - NO - causes reflections per others. Skip it.
  2. Door Panel Trim Package in Leather (seems like most of it you'll never see except for the part where AIRBAG is) NO - waste of money - Porsche even says "you can't see this with the door closed'.
  3. Steering Column Casing in Leather (Seems luxurious and completely ludicrous because the driver will never see it) YES - Thanks to people like @TXshaggy , I ordered this and am VERY glad I did. Nice Nice touch. And yes, you see it ALL the time on the Boxster. I still maintain it is a waste on the 992. I do need to post a picture I just don't have one.
  4. Inner Door-Sill Guards in Leather (This appears to be the part NOT on the door... putting leather here seems a bit foolish) NO - waste of money.

Quick Reply: Leather Options