Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2024 | 07:32 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by JCtx
Indeed. And you know, whoever was driving your car, ABSOLUTELY knew they scraped it, and didn't say anything. I'd at the very least push dealer to punish that person. You just don't do that. If you do something like that, at least own it, and report it immediately, so the car doesn't get delivered to an unsuspecting buyer, and dealer possibly blaming the owner for the damage (when it is found). That's reprehensible. You were lucky you had proof, or dealer would probably have denied responsibility. Hopefully it won't happen again, after you demand action.

Now to your damage. Since it wasn't reported by whoever did it, I'd make them pay, and this is the way I'd request it: Remove the PPF from the bumper (which was obviously damaged), touch-up that area (with spray paint, by dealer, or by you. I'd NOT want my car in a bodyshop, but that's just me), then put new PPF back. The damage is invisible now if not on your knees, so the spray paint job with PPF on top wouldn't be noticeable even on your knees, unless you're paying attention. Best of luck.
There is a young guy (not a sales agent) who was taking care of me while my sales agent was out of town. It is possible he did it and then worried he would get in trouble. I understand your "punish" view point because I'm pretty bummed out but I do not want anyone to get in trouble. I am so thankful that I had proof for my own mindset. I would be beyond devastated if I thought for 1 second that I did that to my brand new car.

I tend to agree with you about the body shop based on the location of the scrape. I'm actually nervous about them pulling the PPF off the new paint. That was the main reason I did not want PPF. I do not think that can be good for it. Bottom line is I'm not driving my brand new car at all until I hear what they want me to do. I have had a trying 2 years with both parents passing away. Today I smiled bigger than I have in 2 years. It is a shame that this was the way my day went after I saw the scuff mark.
Old 10-04-2024 | 10:58 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Not owning up to something you did is lack of character, so I completely disagree to let that go. If he gets away with that, he'll never learn that lesson, but up to you. Not to fire him or anything, but dealers should encourage employees to always report damage. How they pay for it is an internal matter, but most dealers wouldn't make them pay, at least if it's the first time. Even if it was my kid, I wouldn't want a kid like that. Anyway, it'd be WAY better if you had done it, than somebody else, IMO... and trying to blame it on you, by staying quiet. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-04-2024 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2024 | 11:03 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by JCtx
Not owning up to something you did is lack of character, so I completely disagree to let that go. If he gets away with that, he'll never learn that lesson, but up to you. Not to fire him or anything, but dealers should encourage employees to always report damage. How they pay for it is an internal matter, but most dealers wouldn't make them pay, at least if it's the first time. Even if it was my kid, I wouldn't want a kid like that. Anyway, it's be WAY better for you to do it, than somebody else. At least it'd had been YOUR mistake. When somebody else did it, sucks, especially if they tried to blame it on you. Good luck.
When my sales agent gets back I will speak with him. I may even ask to speak to the sales manager. I have been thinking about things and I'm just really disappointed. I paid a lot more than a used car to get a brand new car. I want them to understand that as great as they treated me that this really ruined the $100,000 brand new car experience for me. You are right if the person knew they did it they should have let me know. Maybe I would not have even taken the car. I have thought about getting a new GT4RS or a used GT4 but I really want to see how they handle this before I think about any future business.
Old 10-04-2024 | 11:10 PM
bobcooper
Rennlist Member

I know it seems like a big deal but in the scheme of things I wouldn’t let something like this bum you out. Cars if driven are going to get imperfections sooner or later. I’m not saying don’t fix it but back up and enjoy the view. Life is very short.
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (10-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2024 | 11:10 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

I'd have been extremely disappointed too. I know most people wouldn't blink with something like that, but I would. And yes, sometimes I hate myself for being that way. Ha ha. And I'd probably refuse delivery as well. If the car is going to be banged up (not by me), might as well save 20 grand, and buy a pristine 2-yr-old CPO one, with the same warranty as new (due to the 2 extra years). Let us know how it goes. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-04-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Kram71 (10-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2024 | 11:15 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by bobcooper
I know it seems like a big deal but in the scheme of things I wouldn’t let something like this bum you out. Cars if driven are going to get imperfections sooner or later. I’m not saying don’t fix it but back up and enjoy the view. Life is very short.
I appreciate your post. I think its just hard in me because this was my first brand new car in so long and I paid for a lot of extra stuff to make it perfect. I do not know what would feel worse. Me knowing they scraped it up before I even got it or if I had done it 2 weeks later. I'm not even going to drive it until I hear back from them. Maybe they will do something to get my goodwill back. Ironically I gave a full page thankyou letter to them today before I even saw the car. They are a wonderful dealership. Its just too bad that 1 persons carelessness messed things up.
Old 10-05-2024 | 04:40 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Yep, just 1 person is all it takes to sour an experience. If I had caused the damage, I wouldn't be nearly as pissed off as when a dealership does (and yes, that has happened to me too). Maybe we're weird, but everybody has its own weirdness. Ha ha. But hey, I'd definitely drive the car; it's not going to change anything. I don't think you'd have a legal argument to return it just for that, so I wouldn't go that route. But they'll definitely have to fix it to your satisfaction. And it doesn't matter if it's now, or 1,000 miles later. Enjoy driving it over the weekend.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-05-2024 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-05-2024 | 07:38 AM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kram71
I appreciate your post. I think it’s just hard in me because this was my first brand new car in so long and I paid for a lot of extra stuff to make it perfect. I do not know what would feel worse. Me knowing they scraped it up before I even got it or if I had done it 2 weeks later. I'm not even going to drive it until I hear back from them. Maybe they will do something to get my goodwill back. Ironically I gave a full page thankyou letter to them today before I even saw the car. They are a wonderful dealership. It’s just too bad that 1 persons carelessness messed things up.
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I have mine docked at Freeport and will now remember to check underneath.

If I scraped it myself I’d feel a lot better than if someone else did it just due to the stress of getting on the other person to make it right. And I can just chalk it up as first of many blemishes to come under my ownership (kinda like breaking in the car). Too bad someone else did that for you

I had something similar happen where someone nicked the lip of the inner fender. The difference is that I didn’t notice it until the mechanic owned up to it. Unfortunately, that small issue led to painting/blending the entire fender and was never the same. They actually did a better job than factory paint so one fender looked more smoother than the rest of the car after a nice wash.

In hind sight I should’ve just asked them to give me some shop credit and had the little nick touched up by me.

So make sure they don’t “blend” in the paint toward the side/front of the bumper, but rather just spray only that spot and then PPF the car again. Just know that it’s likely the paint will come off once the PPF is taken off in the future as it takes many days for the paint to cure enough where it won’t stick to the PPF. My friend scrapped underneath the rocker panel and he sprayed it himself and I couldn’t notice it at all and he had python green.
Kram71 (10-05-2024)
Old 10-05-2024 | 10:46 AM
OKCabriolet
Intermediate

@Kram71, the dealer will know of someone that can easily repair and blend the paint. It can be done and not noticeable at all, you'll be the only one that will know about it. Well, other than us on the forum.

There's a post on here where someone with a 911 GTS had something similar happen and the repair was done at the dealership and you can't tell it was repaired.

Sorry it happened, but don't let it ruin your experience, enjoy the car it's a beautiful spec.

After seeing your car, it's making me a bit nervous. I went with a darker color after I originally was leaning towards white or Ice Gray Metallic. I'm past the change freeze point. oh well, i know it's going to be awesome in Vanadium Gray, but you know how it is. Always thinking, did i make the right decision.

Last edited by OKCabriolet; 10-05-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Kram71 (10-05-2024)
Old 10-05-2024 | 11:53 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

@Kram71 - The thing that would anger me the most, if this happened to me, is that I'd have to be without the car for a couple of days while the fix it. Other than that the car is going to be 100% fine.
Kram71 (10-05-2024)
Old 10-05-2024 | 02:37 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by OKCabriolet
@Kram71, the dealer will know of someone that can easily repair and blend the paint. It can be done and not noticeable at all, you'll be the only one that will know about it. Well, other than us on the forum.

There's a post on here where someone with a 911 GTS had something similar happen and the repair was done at the dealership and you can't tell it was repaired.

Sorry it happened, but don't let it ruin your experience, enjoy the car it's a beautiful spec.

After seeing your car, it's making me a bit nervous. I went with a darker color after I originally was leaning towards white or Ice Gray Metallic. I'm past the change freeze point. oh well, i know it's going to be awesome in Vanadium Gray, but you know how it is. Always thinking, did i make the right decision.
Thank you. My sales agent is out of the country but emailed me. He said they would most likely have to remove the PPF, paint the bumper in the area of the scrape and then re-do the PPF on it. I just do not want to make anything worse. If they can fix the PPF without taking it all off maybe just a touch up underneath would be better? The sales agent will be back in this upcoming week. Maybe I can go speak with him and the PPF people at the same time. If I was the dealership I would offer some sort of compensation to me because this is not the way anyone wants to buy a new car.

I would really like to see my car with the top down but the PPF/Window tint place says to wait 3-5 days before lowering the windows. I assume that means the back window as well. At least it looks nice in my garage

Last edited by Kram71; 10-05-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2024 | 02:41 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by breny4104
@Kram71 - The thing that would anger me the most, if this happened to me, is that I'd have to be without the car for a couple of days while the fix it. Other than that the car is going to be 100% fine.
I understand. I'm actually a very patient guy who has 2 other cars so I can wait without any problem but I really just want it right. My anguish is that it happened in the first place. Can you imagine if I did not take pictures at the dealership? Nobody would believe me and even I would not have been 100% sure. One thing that bothers me is that somebody may have known they scraped it and not said anything.
breny4104 (10-05-2024)
Old 10-05-2024 | 02:44 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I have mine docked at Freeport and will now remember to check underneath.

If I scraped it myself I’d feel a lot better than if someone else did it just due to the stress of getting on the other person to make it right. And I can just chalk it up as first of many blemishes to come under my ownership (kinda like breaking in the car). Too bad someone else did that for you

I had something similar happen where someone nicked the lip of the inner fender. The difference is that I didn’t notice it until the mechanic owned up to it. Unfortunately, that small issue led to painting/blending the entire fender and was never the same. They actually did a better job than factory paint so one fender looked more smoother than the rest of the car after a nice wash.

In hind sight I should’ve just asked them to give me some shop credit and had the little nick touched up by me.

So make sure they don’t “blend” in the paint toward the side/front of the bumper, but rather just spray only that spot and then PPF the car again. Just know that it’s likely the paint will come off once the PPF is taken off in the future as it takes many days for the paint to cure enough where it won’t stick to the PPF. My friend scrapped underneath the rocker panel and he sprayed it himself and I couldn’t notice it at all and he had python green.
Thanks for the advice about the PPF. That is my biggest concern. That is why I would like to speak with the PPF guy and see what he thinks. I'm very nervous about them pulling that PPF off.
Old 10-05-2024 | 03:57 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

The only way to fix the PPF right is to remove it. I wouldn't worry about the paint, since the car was in transit for many weeks, so the paint should have been fully cured by the time PPF went over it. And since it was very recently applied, and not exposed to the sun too much, it should be much easier to remove now, than if it had been a year later. What is more important is how to fix the paint issue. Like somebody else said, I wouldn't blend it where the bumper is visible, as that would probably make it noticeable. I'd just spray paint the affected area as best as possible, and since it wasn't visible to begin with, it won't be visible later. And with the PPF on top, even less. But yes, if you put the PPF soon after the paint repair job, it'd surely come off if you ever remove the PPF again... but it could be touched-up again.

By the way, if the stupid guy who damaged your car had been forthcoming with the damage, dealer would have fixed it, and you'd never know it was touched up, because dealers can fix 'transit damage' without notifying the customer when it's minor. And you'd be very happy now with your 'banged up' car. Ha ha. And for 'picky' people like us, that's the better way to deal with minor damage like that. We might find out in the future, but by that time, it wouldn't hurt nearly as bad. Ha ha. Good luck.
Kram71 (10-05-2024)
Old 10-05-2024 | 04:51 PM
Kram71
Racer

Some other thoughts about the car.

1. Really like the white face gauges. I have 3 if you include the chrono.

2. Getting the full leather was a good suggestion by a board poster. I like the stitching on the doors and the steering wheel.

3. Glad I got the Bose. I think it is plenty for me.

4. So thankful I got the 14 way seats with memory. The memory is super important to me as a short guy with a clutch. I would be lost without the memory.
breny4104 (10-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Official Waiting Room For Your New 718. Jump in here.