Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A40 vs C40 Approved Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 09:48 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 418 Likes on 204 Posts

Fcpeuro.com recycles it, just as I do if I take it to the city recycling center. After paying almost $100 for the oil and filter, enjoying doing tge change myself, I'll return it to them for about $30 and get a refund of about $90. Yes, I paid a fortune for my 718 but I was only able to afford it because I did a lot of DIY over the years and invested wisely but conservatively, not spending excessive amounts for things like first class air travel or hotel rooms. I see no shame in taking advantage of their generous return policy.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,480 Likes on 2,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Fcpeuro.com recycles it, just as I do if I take it to the city recycling center. After paying almost $100 for the oil and filter, enjoying doing tge change myself, I'll return it to them for about $30 and get a refund of about $90. Yes, I paid a fortune for my 718 but I was only able to afford it because I did a lot of DIY over the years and invested wisely but conservatively, not spending excessive amounts for things like first class air travel or hotel rooms. I see no shame in taking advantage of their generous return policy.
Bill, to me it has nothing to do with "shame", more the pretense of the action, the warranty return process is to handle defective parts, not used oil, sending used oil back to FCP is like buying a tent on Friday, camping all weekend then taking it back Monday telling the clerk you didn’t like the color!

Add to this the environmental impact of shipping used oil back when you can recycle it locally...
The following users liked this post:
slilley (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Bill, to me it has nothing to do with "shame", more the pretense of the action, the warranty return process is to handle defective parts, not used oil, sending used oil back to FCP is like buying a tent on Friday, camping all weekend then taking it back Monday telling the clerk you didn’t like the color!

Add to this the environmental impact of shipping used oil back when you can recycle it locally...
You are mistaken. Yes, they accept defective parts, but they also encourage the return of worn out parts, like brake pads, rotors, wiper blades, oil filters, and virtually everything else they sell. So I'm taking advantage of their very generous policy. Plus, I don't have an oil filter crusher which squeezes every ounce of of oil out of it, so returning it is more environmentally friendly than tossing it in the trash. If they didn't want oil returned they would state such, and would not post a YouTube video on how to do it.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:32 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You are mistaken. Yes, they accept defective parts, but they also encourage the return of worn out parts, like brake pads, rotors, wiper blades, oil filters, and virtually everything else they sell. So I'm taking advantage of their very generous policy. Plus, I don't have an oil filter crusher which squeezes every ounce of of oil out of it, so returning it is more environmentally friendly than tossing it in the trash. If they didn't want oil returned they would state such, and would not post a YouTube video on how to do it.
We all looks at things a little differently I suppose, if FCP is willing to take back used oil and refund you the amount you paid then they must have it figured out at their end in order to stay in business... As for recycling used oil and filters, we have facilities in place that do all of this properly, individuals only need to take the used oil and filter to them and it is all handled from there.
slilley (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
We all looks at things a little differently I suppose, if FCP is willing to take back used oil and refund you the amount you paid then they must have it figured out at their end in order to stay in business... As for recycling used oil and filters, we have facilities in place that do all of this properly, individuals only need to take the used oil and filter to them and it is all handled from there.
In Illinois and maybe the entire US any store that sells motor oil must take used oil in for recycling. Even oil change facilities must take in used motor oil.
slilley (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 06:25 PM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 197 Posts

By my yardstick, you are being a cheapskate. But as you say, you are just "taking advantage of their very generous policy". I'm sure you aren't alone, but I suspect most others who follow the same practice feel at least some shame so they won't chime in here to support you. After all, this isn't a forum where we talk about our love of blinged-out crap-cans with giants aftermarket wings.

Thankfully, most of us that buy from FCP and other trusted vendors don't follow the same twisted logic just to save a couple of bucks! I do all my own maintenance too, both for the savings and also for the satisfaction of doing it and knowing it was done right. You've already saved a ton of coin by doing it yourself, so even if you pay for the oil and filter you are way ahead.

As for the "environmentally friendly" angle with sending it back to FCP, that's total crap - the risk of oil leakage during shipment is VERY high given the way that the packages are routinely handled. You can take your old oil to just about any local garage or auto parts store to be properly recycled.

Last edited by slilley; 07-19-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:16 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by slilley
By my yardstick, you are being a cheapskate. But as you say, you are just "taking advantage of their very generous policy". I'm sure you aren't alone, but I suspect most others who follow the same practice feel at least some shame so they won't chime in here to support you. After all, this isn't a forum where we talk about our love of blinged-out crap-cans with giants aftermarket wings.

Thankfully, most of us that buy from FCP and other trusted vendors don't follow the same twisted logic just to save a couple of bucks! I do all my own maintenance too, both for the savings and also for the satisfaction of doing it and knowing it was done right. You've already saved a ton of coin by doing it yourself, so even if you pay for the oil and filter you are way ahead.

As for the "environmentally friendly" angle with sending it back to FCP, that's total crap - the risk of oil leakage during shipment is VERY high given the way that the packages are routinely handled. You can take your old oil to just about any local garage or auto parts store to be properly recycled.
OK, I'm done. I didn't mean to chime in for any reason other than to share my (limited) knowledge and point of view. I can find other forums to be attacked on when all I want to do is share knowledge and gain knowledge from other Porsche owners. Last time I checked it is still a free country, for how long is debatable, but I can do whatever I wish with my used oil as long as i'm not pouring it on the ground or down the sewer(I've known of both) and I am not attacking anyone else for their desired method of disposing of their oil. I've taken literally thousands of gallons to recyclers from back in the 1970's (including a lot of diesel trucks that held 6-10 gallons of oil) and cannot remember ever deliberately pouring oil out. Call me cheap if you like, you're entitled to your opinion, but BUTT OUT of my business. As I said, I'm done. Oh, and by your logic nobody here better be buying oil or any other hazardous liquid by mail, since the danger of leakage is too great.

Last edited by Bill Mitchell; 07-19-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:37 PM
slilley
Rennlist Member

OK, I'm done. I didn't mean to chime in for any reason other than to share my (limited) knowledge and point of view. I can find other forums to be attacked on when all I want to do is share knowledge and gain knowledge from other Porsche owners. Last time I checked it is still a free country, for how long is debatable, but I can do whatever I wish with my used oil as long as i'm not pouring it on the ground or down the sewer(I've known of both) and I am not attacking anyone else for their desired method of disposing of their oil. I've taken literally thousands of gallons to recyclers from back in the 1970's (including a lot of diesel trucks that held 6-10 gallons of oil) and cannot remember ever deliberately pouring oil out. Call me cheap if you like, you're entitled to your opinion, but BUTT OUT of my business. As I said, I'm done. Oh, and by your logic nobody here better be buying oil or any other hazardous liquid by mail, since the danger of leakage is too great.
Bill, please don't leave! I don't want you leaving because of my hard-headed opinion. Obviously you are a fellow enthusiast. We can agree to disagree about oil, but we all share a love of P-cars that's far stronger! The fact that you post instead of just lurking is valuable to others who I'm sure feel the same way you do. So stay involved here, if just for their sake!

If you PM me, I'll send you an Amazon gift card as my apology. Or if you happen to live in my vicinity, I'll drop off a beverage of your choice.
992Sam (07-20-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 09:32 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 114 Posts

Been reading this thread trying to find answers, I had already bought a filter and the filter socket for an upcoming oil change, but figured I would get oil locally.

My manual also says use the C40 variant of the oil and I cannot find it anywhere locally.

Two Porsche dealerships I called said they use the Mobil 1 FS European Car Formula which is the older A40 standard. Neither even hear of the C40 standard, nor seamed to care to look it up. Both dealers I did not buy from, so meh, what do they care to hear from me?

Suncoast sells the oil and I have some on order. They list the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 as C40 standard.

I just need a quart this week as my car is 1/2 way down the green bar. What do you think about adding half a quart of the A40 type oil? With pending oil change in the fall?

Mike
Old 07-22-2021, 09:06 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

It's pretty clear that a lot of dealers are unknowingly filling new P-cars with the A40 oil instead of the newer C40 oil, and to date there are no reports of any problems. The A40 oil is unlikely to be different enough to cause any damage if used short-term, like through a handful of oil changes. But it's the long-term effects where the different A40 oil *could* have some effect - although again I suspect the chances of outright problems are very slim, especially here in North America where the post-catalyst OPF/GPF filters are inactive.

Aronis, in your case I'd have zero concerns with topping up using A40-spec oil. Even if you used a full quart of A40 oil bring the level up to the proper level, that would be less than 15% of the total oil capacity - so most of the oil will still be the proper C40 spec.

But for full 7.5-quart oil changes, I'll still stick with the recommended C40 spec. Funny thing is, it's possible (though hopefully unlikely) that people that inadvertently stick with A40-spec oil instead of the recommended C40-spec could have statistically-fewer engine problems 10-15 years from now. That's how much I trust the A40 spec and know it to be good oil. The C40 spec is new, so we're taking the word of the manufacturers that it's somehow "better" - but we all know that the manufacturers sometimes have priorities that are different than us consumers (hence why there is now 0W-16 oil being used by some manufacturers, trying to eek out a tenth of a MPG improvement with thinner oil, but you can certainly go TOO thin, imho).

Last edited by slilley; 07-22-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:39 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slilley
It's pretty clear that a lot of dealers are unknowingly filling new P-cars with the A40 oil instead of the newer C40 oil, and to date there are no reports of any problems. The A40 oil is unlikely to be different enough to cause any damage if used short-term, like through a handful of oil changes. But it's the long-term effects where the different A40 oil *could* have some effect - although again I suspect the chances of outright problems are very slim, especially here in North America where the post-catalyst OPF/GPF filters are inactive.

Aronis, in your case I'd have zero concerns with topping up using A40-spec oil. Even if you used a full quart of A40 oil bring the level up to the proper level, that would be less than 15% of the total oil capacity - so most of the oil will still be the proper C40 spec.

But for full 7.5-quart oil changes, I'll still stick with the recommended C40 spec. Funny thing is, it's possible (though hopefully unlikely) that people that inadvertently stick with A40-spec oil instead of the recommended C40-spec could have statistically-fewer engine problems 10-15 years from now. That's how much I trust the A40 spec and know it to be good oil. The C40 spec is new, so we're taking the word of the manufacturers that it's somehow "better" - but we all know that the manufacturers sometimes have priorities that are different than us consumers (hence why there is now 0W-16 oil being used by some manufacturers, trying to eek out a tenth of a MPG improvement with thinner oil, but you can certainly go TOO thin, imho).
Regarding the bolded, does this picture help with the understanding that C40 is truly a different formulation?

And this explanation:

Old 07-23-2021, 08:51 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Yep, I've seen and read all those specs. But I'm also a believer that, potentially in contrast to that radar chart, it's a challenge improving oil in ALL areas without sacrificing something that isn't necessarily measured in the charts. I know that chemistry and science can create miracles, but it's good to maintain a healthy skepticism until time has proven that out (which may take 10+ years).

Did the A40 spec ever even track it's "Soot Thickening" and "Aftertreatment Compatibility" - two items featured on that radar chart? The fact that they show a zero for A40 oil for those two items make me suspect that A40 was never officially tested for those properties. If that's the case, giving them a zero in those categories is misleading (imho). So, just for sh*ts and giggles, if we take those two properties out of the radar chart, it changes pretty dramatically (excuse my poor Paint.net skills):

I'm not trying to cast any dispersion on the new C40 spec; in fact, it's what I fully intend to use in my CGTS 4.0. I just know from history that not every new oil is a real advancement, and sometimes protection is sacrificed by the oil companies in order to improve a profit margin, or by the auto manufacturers to improve fleet MPG by a fraction.

A bit about me: I'm the guy who, back around 2005, stocked up with a multi-year supply of Mobil-1 when they downgraded their formulation to use some non-synthetic base stocks, going from a Group 4 to a Group 3 oil while still labeling the new formulation "fully synthetic" (stretching the truth in my opinion, but Castrol had been doing the same thing so Mobil just followed suit). I'm no scientist, but I am an engineer who occasionally reads the "Bob is the Oil Guy" threads and stays at a Holiday Inn Express when traveling.

Last edited by slilley; 07-23-2021 at 08:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by slilley:
worf928 (07-23-2021), Z06jerry (07-23-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 07:41 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Some profit margin consideration for the new oil spec is quickly dispelled by the price per quart around 10 bucks. So they can increase their profit margin by adding 25 cents per quart. I suspect the new spec is actually better and has nothing to do with profit but rather continuing pursuit for excellence.

I put 1/2 quart of the A40 in my car. So far no explosion. My 8 quarts of C40 is due next week.

Mike
slilley (07-25-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:57 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I received my shipment of oil from Suncoast. They sent the Mobil 1 ESP Formula, EMISSION SYSTEM PROTECTION. Their site showed this as C40 oil, but it does not list this on the box or bottles. Mobil's website lists it as "GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models" and no mention of any European car. Mobil has one oil listed as the C40 standard, Mobil 1 EXP X3, which specifically shows the C40 spec.......

So screw it I'm using this stuff......

Mike
Old 07-28-2021, 09:49 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Aronis
I received my shipment of oil from Suncoast. They sent the Mobil 1 ESP Formula, EMISSION SYSTEM PROTECTION. Their site showed this as C40 oil, but it does not list this on the box or bottles. Mobil's website lists it as "GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models" and no mention of any European car. Mobil has one oil listed as the C40 standard, Mobil 1 EXP X3, which specifically shows the C40 spec.......

So screw it I'm using this stuff......

Mike
Two Porsche dealers local to me in South Florida confirmed they have the correct C40 spec oil. It was an effort to unpack the nuances. I showed them these images and after some digging one apologized for the mixup (“yes, we actually do have it but it was hiding”) and the other said “we stock it regularly now.”

I recommend you use the C40 oil if required. Educate the folks at Suncoast- you could even reference this post.

Nota bene: **only** a US Porsche dealer right now can obtain this particular oil in the US. It is not sold anywhere else.

Last edited by 348SStb; 07-28-2021 at 09:51 PM.
slilley (07-29-2021)

Quick Reply: A40 vs C40 Approved Motor Oil