Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A40 vs C40 Approved Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 11:47 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

There's still so much confusion over this oil, it's really amazing that Porsche hasn't educated their dealers better. They either don't think it's that big a deal or they are totally disorganized.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:03 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

Originally Posted by Aronis
I received my shipment of oil from Suncoast. They sent the Mobil 1 ESP Formula, EMISSION SYSTEM PROTECTION. Their site showed this as C40 oil, but it does not list this on the box or bottles. Mobil's website lists it as "GM/Opel/Vauxhall/Chevrolet Diesel and Gasoline models" and no mention of any European car. Mobil has one oil listed as the C40 standard, Mobil 1 EXP X3, which specifically shows the C40 spec.......

So screw it I'm using this stuff......

Mike
Hey Mike, It's your choice but FWIW I wouldn't put the incorrect oil in my car... they sent you the wrong stuff, they should replace it with the correct oil, shipping both ways!

​​​@348SStb shows in his post the correct oil is labeled as such, no need to guess or take one's word for it.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:26 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts

Yup been back and forth with Suncoast....just emailed them again, referencing this thread.

I am writing Porsche USA today. I want something in writing from them. If the local dealers are using the wrong oil, that is on them and Porsche USA needs to straighten that out.

I don't know if this new spec is that much of an issue, but I'd rather just use the recommended oil. It's priced about the same.

I think I will call the dealer who sold me the car, cold call them just to ask "what oil should I use" and see what they say.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Kelsey (09-16-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:34 PM
TOY4S
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup been back and forth with Suncoast....just emailed them again, referencing this thread.

I am writing Porsche USA today. I want something in writing from them. If the local dealers are using the wrong oil, that is on them and Porsche USA needs to straighten that out.

I don't know if this new spec is that much of an issue, but I'd rather just use the recommended oil. It's priced about the same.

I think I will call the dealer who sold me the car, cold call them just to ask "what oil should I use" and see what they say.

Mike
Nothing against Suncoast! I’ve gotten great service from them. But, I had the same issue with C40 oil. I finally just gave up and went the Motul route with Pelican Parts. I’m still sitting on 12 quarts of ESP. I guess I need to find a Corvette owner and unload it.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:48 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mike
Originally Posted by TOY4S
Nothing against Suncoast! I’ve gotten great service from them. But, I had the same issue with C40 oil. I finally just gave up and went the Motul route with Pelican Parts. I’m still sitting on 12 quarts of ESP. I guess I need to find a Corvette owner and unload it.
I am not sure how there could be any question, the owners manual specifically lists the spec as C40...

Last edited by Westcoast; 07-29-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:53 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I am not sure how there could be any question, the owners manual specifically lists the spec as C40...
Oh no?

The Owner’s Manual also specifically indicates 5W-40 as an acceptable viscosity at temperatures about -13 degrees Fahrenheit. Yet my local Porsche dealer told me that they wouldn’t be responsible for warranty claims if I used the 5W-40-spec C40 Motul or Liqui Moly — “Our system shows 0W-40 for this model. I have been at Porsche for 25 years and I’ve never used 5W-40.”

I mean, the Owner’s Manual shows 5W-40, but somehow that was disputed by the Porsche dealer.

This is what many of us are dealing with. Porsche: if you’re reading- please straighten this thing out.

Aronis- if able, please mention this to Porsche when you correspond- that “in some cases, Owners are being denied the opportunity to use C40-approved 5W-40 oil, which is clearly specified in the Owner’s Manual.”

Last edited by 348SStb; 07-29-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Oh no?

The Owner’s Manual also specifically indicates 5W-40 as an acceptable viscosity at temperatures about -13 degrees Fahrenheit. Yet my local Porsche dealer told me that they wouldn’t be responsible for warranty claims if I used the 5W-40-spec C40 Motul or Liqui Moly — “Our system shows 0W-40 for this model. I have been at Porsche for 25 years and I’ve never used 5W-40.”

I mean, the Owner’s Manual shows 5W-40, but somehow that was disputed by the Porsche dealer.

This is what many of us are dealing with. Porsche: if you’re reading- please straighten this thing out.

Aronis- if able, please mention this to Porsche when you correspond- that “in some cases, Owners are being denied the opportunity to use C40-approved 5W-40 oil, which is clearly specified in the Owner’s Manual.”
No, the dealer is nothing more than a re-seller, he is not the manufacturer, nor does the dealer have the final say on warranty, that too rests with Porsche, and Porsche Germany has blessed C40 spec 5W-40 Liqui Moly for use in the 9A2 4.0l engine...

So the dealer statement about what the system shows and them never using 5w-40 is laughable as is their attempt to restrict your use of manufacturer approved oils.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:12 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Absolutely, mine says the same....

Mike

Old 07-29-2021, 06:10 PM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I need to add 2 quarts of oil to my C GTS but cannot source Mobil 1 EPS 0W-40 X3. Has anyone tried Motul 8100 X-Clean Gen2 5W40? It is a C40 oil that costs $50 for 5 liters and is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Motul-8100-X-...omotive&sr=1-6
Did my oil change with it. Don't know how to report on an oil, but it poured in just fine and the motor has not blown to bits. So I guess it's doing what it was designed to do?

Most important... has the C40 rating and it's available. I figure if it's available there's no excuse or reason not to use it and I know if there ever was an issue I can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt the proper spec oil was used!
Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

FWIW, I finally got to my dealer last week and asked the parts guy at the counter if they had C40 oil. He went in the back to ask, was gone at least 10 minutes and returned to say yes, they had it in stock. Porsche still hasn't done a good job of informing all their dealers of the oil though, which is inexcusable.

However, all that said I doubt the A40 oil will harm a 4.0 engine, atleast for several thousand miles at least. No GPF "guts", no turbo, so the A40 likely will provide adequate protection. Still....
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mitchell:
HooosierDaddy (08-02-2021), slilley (07-30-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 05:44 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

More info.....Suncoast called Porsche with my VIN number and confirmed C40 spec needs to be used. Any they are shipping some to me.....

I can't understand why it's such a hassle to buy the Mobil 1 ESP X3 here. This change was made three years ago....Oh, I know......."COVID" the universal excuse....

Mike

Old 08-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
FWIW, I finally got to my dealer last week and asked the parts guy at the counter if they had C40 oil. He went in the back to ask, was gone at least 10 minutes and returned to say yes, they had it in stock. Porsche still hasn't done a good job of informing all their dealers of the oil though, which is inexcusable.

However, all that said I doubt the A40 oil will harm a 4.0 engine, atleast for several thousand miles at least. No GPF "guts", no turbo, so the A40 likely will provide adequate protection. Still....
You engine I suppose. A40 is not good enough and not warranty approved. C40 is the spec, why settle for the wrong stuff?
Old 08-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

More info.....Suncoast called Porsche with my VIN number and confirmed C40 spec needs to be used. Any they are shipping some to me.....

I can't understand why it's such a hassle to buy the Mobil 1 ESP X3 here. This change was made three years ago....Oh, I know......."COVID" the universal excuse....

Mike
Regarding the bolded, C40 has been around for a long time, look at the date code on this 1l bottle:

Old 08-01-2021, 01:01 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

You engine I suppose. A40 is not good enough and not warranty approved. C40 is the spec, why settle for the wrong stuff?
The newer emissions systems will be harmed by A40... this is why we have to use the C40 on 2020+ cars.. you're right.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:15 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

I'm not disagreeing, just saying the A40 oil will likely provide adequate engine protection to those unfortunate enough to have a dealer who installs it, and hopefully before too many oil changes occur on a given engine these dealers will get up to speed on proper engine lubrication. I'm using C40 oil myself and will continue to. One thought: this new oil has been required in flat 6 and flat 4 engines since May, 2018 I think(correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember the changeover date) but did any of those early cars have the GPF? I don't think so, nor did they have the "improved" emissions specs either, I'm guessing, but maybe they did. I've not read anything to support this.

Quick Reply: A40 vs C40 Approved Motor Oil