Sponsored by:

REPLICA!!!!!!!!!! wide body questions, thanks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default REPLICA!!!!!!!!!! wide body questions, thanks

First let me say to the raly 356 owners thank you.... for buying and maintaining a true masterpiece. Such wonderful cars and what a pleasure to see on the road. That said I am not in a position to purchase a real 356 so hoping it maybe OK to ask a few replica like questions. I have done some research and here is where I am at...

I want a wide bodied car, that is a must.... I believe the IM's are the best car out there again from the data I have gathered but cost quite a bit more. Less a kit car and more a car to its own. But I am only willing to by used and have see no wide bodied IM's out there.... Vintage speedster I have seen a couple I believe but "automotive legends" seems to make a wide body GTR version...kind of a hot rod like version with flared hips. Found one that sold in the 25K range:

http://www.motorcities.com/photo/viewer/07DGC274501553E

I am willing to spend 20K, would spend 25K for a similar like car as seen here (would swap these rims out asap) or even spend north of 30K+++ if there was a IM wide body out there in great shape.

Any advice would be great on such or other makers. I have a real p car and this iss a toy for wifey more then anything else but with the wide body it will please me a bit as well, and if I love the car I would be able to mod it later as I seem to go down that path a lot with cars....

Thanks again for any advice on the above topic...

pic of automotive legende GTR wide body attached and link above to one I found that sold...

Last edited by mickfluff; 12-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:38 PM
bd0nalds0n
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a widebody speedster replica. The body was made by Fiberfab in MN, which has long gone out of business. I believe CMC bought the molds, but they may or may not be in business any longer. I would keep checking Craigslist in your area (or big, close metro areas).

Check out www.speedsterowners.com It's a dedicated site for speedster replicas.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks

thanks for the reply...

any others?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 AM
waz356
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no such thing as a "widebody speedster replica"???
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

+1 to waz356. This is something that someone made up.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Let me help

Sorry if your confused, let me help. As I am confident your posts were indeed in search for clarification and not just being a wise ***.

Looking for a replica 356 (example, vintage speedster or other) that offers a "wide body" look to their replica cars. The true 356's did not come as such as I believe you were so kind to elude to, so technically this would not be a true and accurate rendering of a 356 but a retro mod like version of a 356 in some ways.

Thanks and hope this helps....please do not focus on the wheels... would replace with some retro fuchs style or other etc...
Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 145 Posts

That is very sharp looking. Will be following your pursuit closely. With a garage full of 911s, I dont feel the need to expend good $$ for the real thing that would be rarely driven either.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why does it have to be wide body? You just love that look?

I think they look a little ,,,off,, shall we say? (strictly IMHO)

If you're going for a replica why not buy one that actually replicates the 356? I believe most of the 356 owners here will agree. But it is your money, so you should absolutely buy the style that turns your crank.

Or maybe just go hog wild and add a whale tail, slant nose, rear brake duct scoops, chrome chain steering wheel, and top it all off with the wheels from the one in the pic you showed. J/K

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Don't mind me. No one else does.

Phil
Old 09-12-2009, 10:18 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will echo Brian's recommendation to check out www.speedsterowners.com. I spent a lot of time on there about 4-5 years ago, before I got my 993. They have a classified section, and who knows, maybe your car is sitting there for sale right now!

Personally, I don't care for the widebody Speedster look, but to each his own. IM doesn't make and never did make a widebody. JPS (www.jps-motorsports.com) makes a wide body, and it has a tube frame (not that that makes it equal to IM). Perhaps you could find a used one in your price range.

Judging by the number of very low mileage 1-2 year old replica Speedsters I've seen for sale, a lot of people buy these things without really knowing what they're getting into. So there are always lots of almost new ones available.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mick-- I don't have any personal experience with WB 356 Speedster replicas. However, I found these recent photographs from Laguna Seca's Historics, that may help in some way. Good luck with your search!

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
Widebody replica 356 speedster.... kind of cool in a dune buggy kind of way... but I would be lying if I said I didnt initially really like it... but now have second thoughts.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:37 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I want a wide bodied car, that is a must....
Any advice would be great on such or other makers.
Thanks again for any advice on the above topic...
I just stumbled upon the following. Hopefully helpful: kitCarList.com. No experience / affiliation with.
Appears to be as inclusive a listing as possible. Seems if any business has experience with other makers, they might be one for you to ask.

Sounds like what you're looking for. Regardless, lots of free entertainment :
of the 100s of different replicar manufacturer photos there (& I'm sure I missed some applicable pics)...

Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
lyc70
4th Gear

I made a model, but the remote control apparatus does not seem good. anyone could give a hand?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I love the Wide Body Speedster look.... I'd nab one in a second like the first post. Many of the kits have a weird flare, but some look perfect IMO... Like a couple pictured above. I'm curious how they drive.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

mickfluff,
did you already give up on the speedster?
You've been a no-show on your own thread.

Phil
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ Good point, Phil.

In the meantime, I keep stumbling across these in random 'Monterey Car Week'-related searches. (Sharing them at least makes me think I'm doing something productive )
Located in San Clemente, CA. Replicar, but still OK.

by MR38

Quick Reply: REPLICA!!!!!!!!!! wide body questions, thanks