Sponsored by:

Field Find 356 - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Vinny,

Before you move it into the garage, rent a power washer and go over it using sort-of-an indirect spray pattern. Open the doors and lids and hit the jambs etc..on all sides. Same thing for the wheel wells and engine compartment. It won't hurt the car but will rid yourself of any unwanted pests, knock away any loose scale, rust etc.. let it sit in the driveway afterwards to air dry.

This way when you get it into the garage to start pulling stuff off it won't be as nasty a job. Stock-up on plastic zip lock bags, and pick-up some of the hard plastic storage containers from home depot. If you've got room for shelving.. get/build some quick!

Nice find, have fun!!

Paul
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, get some heavy painter's drop cloth plastic sheets to park it over. when you strip the insulation and grimey parts, it makes cleanup much easier.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 AM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, well I've taken a moment to catch my breath... I took some photos to share.
Attached Images      
Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 AM
VinnyC
Racer

More
Attached Images     
Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Someone needs to come up with a kiln for cars........to dry em' up.
I reckon once you dig into this one its going to be a real eye opener. Before you start, ask yourself if you like the 356. Do you like it better than a 911 or another one of your favs.
This is what I am going through now. I have a '63 coupe.........I like it but my passion is my 911.
My test is when you see a car that you like vs. a car car that makes you drool.....like a good deli mustard
Old 02-05-2009, 11:56 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.
I'm not sure what to say (for a change), or even tell you how I'd proceed.
The 1600Super motor as indicated for a B/T5 in '60 & '61 was designated 616/2. It may (or may not!) still have the original. Your car appears not to be an early one (ala late '59 production), which also had a "PORSCHE" script on the nose, below the hood / above the bumper. Time to buy or borrow some books, like Kellogg's "Guide to Do-it-Yourself Restoration", Schrager's "Buying, Driving & Enjoying the Por 356" & Johnson's "... Restorer's Guide"... & the Elfrink manual, & etc etc.
Here are a few recent links on the Registry (which I'd join or at least sign up for Talk) about dealing w/ a rusty 356...
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7218
here's a thread on a "garage find" experience we'd all like to have, see the article in the new Excellence.
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
& on a similar T5 B...
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7170
& just so it is clear nothing is impossible...
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4080

Excelsior!

ps: "...ask yourself if you like the 356."
or alternatively, "do I feel lucky today? how 'bout for the next 2 yrs?" (w/ apologies to Dirty Harry)
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the car. It is an interesting project!

Keep us posted with pics!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:04 PM
VinnyC
Racer

KED -
Some good stuff, thank you.
The car is titled as a 61 and is serial number 116651. As soon as I can get the trunk lid open I will post engine information.

I'm not too confident that I can pull this off - I'm giving this a lot of thought and considering the alternatives.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:46 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

yeah, I'd guess it was built around May or June of '61.
never be in a rush to spend cash on a car project - research, some personal labor, analysis, & contemplation are very cost-effective. certainly compared to psychotherapy, heavy self-medication, divorce & etc. finding a Porsche that you can utilize as a step towards the eventual "right one" (or next one, anyway) is a valid concept for those of us who don't write Big Checks to address every whim - one progresses by doing, & one's goals are (typically) not achieved in one fell swoop.

however you proceed, it is likely that someone somewhere for god-knows-what reason wants that car for more than you've got in it (minus any blood loss). cheers!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ked
yeah, I'd guess it was built around May or June of '61.
never be in a rush to spend cash on a car project - research, some personal labor, analysis, & contemplation are very cost-effective. certainly compared to psychotherapy, heavy self-medication, divorce & etc. finding a Porsche that you can utilize as a step towards the eventual "right one" (or next one, anyway) is a valid concept for those of us who don't write Big Checks to address every whim - one progresses by doing, & one's goals are (typically) not achieved in one fell swoop.

however you proceed, it is likely that someone somewhere for god-knows-what reason wants that car for more than you've got in it (minus any blood loss). cheers!
Thats a great post.

Vinny -- thanks for the update and pics, I am checking this thread daily and feel that I would continue to do so for the next 2 or 3 years if you do decide to move forward with this. best of luck,

--Howard

Last edited by Kahdmus; 02-06-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just spent WAY too long looking at those links posted above.

Wow, that truly is inspiration and shows that almost anything is possible as Ked said...
Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howard, I've spent quite a bit on education (hard knocks dept) to derive what little wisdon I've accumulated, thanks.

The thread on the guy rebuilding the basket-case is great, esp in light of the advice proffered early on. I can imagine him reflecting on all that & thinking, "... but I've got a hammer & a torch, sheet metal laying around & some spare time... what's the big deal?" more power to 'em!

well, you've blown this much time - go ahead, take the rest of the week off.
for me, I'm going mtn bike riding... it's over 50 today & in the winter I always ride when the temp gets near my age...
cheers!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Vinny,
I envy your recent acquisition..... here's why.

Andreas
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
VinnyC
Racer

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Vinny,
I envy your recent acquisition..... here's why.

Andreas

Andreas,
I just read through your thread - and was touched by the story. I enjoyed the photos as well. Each one of these cars have a "Soul" and a story. Its what makes them so special to me.
I wish you luck in your pursuit...
Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Vinny, even if you do most of the work yourself you will be spending tens of thousands on this car. The prices on 356 cars is coming down. In some cases rather quickly. I placed my '63 coupe for sale and did not recieve one phone call. Six months ago it would have sold sight unseen. Just think about it before you jump.

Quick Reply: Field Find 356 - Need advice