Sponsored by:

Field Find 356 - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could be off by an order-of-magnitude... either way.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If for some crazy reason you choose not to buy this project car I would be willing to pay some sort of finders fee if I could make the trip down south and the asking price for the car was not crazy.

Either way good luck
Old 01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul, I think your opinion is well noted by now.

EDIT: The posts that this comment referred to have since been removed by centerpunch.

Last edited by Kahdmus; 02-13-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Paul, I think your opinion is well noted by now.
I never would have posted if there had been some balance from the other folks responding, but to me the other posts were all in the "go for it, act first, think later, you can't go wrong" category. It's easy to fall in love with a 356, but the truth is, there are some 356's that you will regret falling in love with.

Five bucks says whoever ends up with this car will regret it one year from now, unless they get it for free and part it out (that is, assuming there are any parts with any value.)

But you're right, I've said enough, and I'll shut up.

(hold your applause)
Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by centerpunch
I never would have posted if there had been some balance from the other folks responding, but to me the other posts were all in the "go for it, act first, think later, you can't go wrong" category. It's easy to fall in love with a 356, but the truth is, there are some 356's that you will regret falling in love with.

Five bucks says whoever ends up with this car will regret it one year from now, unless they get it for free and part it out (that is, assuming there are any parts with any value.)

But you're right, I've said enough, and I'll shut up.

(hold your applause)
Don't get me wrong, your points are completely valid and well balanced in terms of opinion, its maybe just the tact that's lacking........
Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by centerpunch
My wife says the same thing!

For more of my tact-less, direct comments, there was a very long and very amusing thread about a guy that bought a 993 track car sight unseen with a PPI, waited several months to pick up the car, and THEN complained that he paid too much. As with this time, I just couldn't help myself..........
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...y-scr-wed.html
HAHA...you now have me engrossed in this thread! I'm only half way through and have lost half the day!
Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Thank you all for your advice!!
As it stands now, my plan is to move the car this weekend. Sorry, but a 356 barn find is much more exciting to me than some football game!!
I have located a trailer and will be very cautious not to make any damage worse. Once I have it out of the weeds - I will take photos for you all to see.
I'm sure that I will have many more questions in the next few days.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 125 Posts

Here's a thread suggesting using straps around the rear axle tubes:
http://www.356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6953

I honestly wish you the best of luck with this project, and hope at least some parts of the car won't need replacement or extensive repair. Keep us posted on what you find!
Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

the thought is: if only this Were a "barn find".
ie, Under roof. Forgotten. Tarp-covered. Mouse-ridden & chewed. Liquids congealed to molasses. Chromes tarnished. But metals significantly, all 'there'... Nirvana. (sort of)

Unfortunately, this ain't.

Outside? in humid environment? owwwww... That body work is a reality check. Sorry.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyC
Thank you all for your advice!!
As it stands now, my plan is to move the car this weekend. Sorry, but a 356 barn find is much more exciting to me than some football game!!
I have located a trailer and will be very cautious not to make any damage worse. Once I have it out of the weeds - I will take photos for you all to see.
I'm sure that I will have many more questions in the next few days.
How did it go this weekend?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Default Field Find - 356

Well I was able to get the car out of its resting place for the past 12+years.
Once We inflated the tires and dug a little around the wheels, we were able to push her out and roll her to where the flat bed was waiting.
I was able to tie a nylon tow strap to each of the heavy duty suspension parts and the tow truck was able to ease her up while we pushed it along.
It worked out great - to my surprise, and much easier then I thought.

The body has rust issues in all those places, but overall a complete car with what I understand is the Original engine and a very exciting opportunity for me.

The car now sits in my driveway... (I'm waiting for a call from my HOA ) My plan is to let her sit outside for a few days to let any "wildlife" exit before I put her into my garage. So far I noticed a bees nest and a few spiders. As my wife would say...ewww your NOT putting THAT in our garage...

I took more pictures of the car, and will post them once I have the opportunity to resize them.
Stay tuned...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bob Rouleau; 02-03-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: user request title change for thread
Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vinny, thanks for the update I can't wait to see more. I am really crossing my fingers for you that this car can indeed be put back on the road and that things go as smoothly as they can for you given the condition, etc.

The poor old girl must be wondering what's happening after spending so many years unloved and uncared for. I expect that if you do manage to eventually pull this project off that she will undoubtedly be the love of your life!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good work!
"The poor old girl must be wondering what's happening after spending so many years unloved and uncared for." or pissed-off that she has been awaken from a comfortable & infinite repose.

your neighbors will be thrilled - what a stylish alternative to all those boring SUVs! you may be suprised what a good hand cleaning (diluted clorox &/or polishing/rubbing compound) will do for its appearance (from 50' away - neighbor range). judicous use of insecticide might be in order. washing the tires & wheels, moving it from one spot to another (at night), then a cover might fool the HOA for awhile.

best of luck - this is MUCH better than me doing this sort of thing - again!
(did you determine the engine type; N, S or S-90?)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ked
good work!
"The poor old girl must be wondering what's happening after spending so many years unloved and uncared for." or pissed-off that she has been awaken from a comfortable & infinite repose.
Haha, that made me laugh!

I am sure she doesn't even dare dream about how it would feel to be bombing along the highways with towns and countryside flashing by. Every car wants to be driven!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a personal level, I'm glad this car was rescued, and if its any concern, I've seen worse.

What are your plans for this car? Whats your budget? How do you plan on going about it?

From what it sounds like, you'll need pans, longitudinals, doors, and trunk. For a good driver, Paul's estimate at $40k is right on the mark. Its value when done, I suspect would be closer to $45k - $50k. I think you can outlaw it some for about the same money (disk brakes vs drums, EFI instead of solexes)

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Field Find 356 - Need advice