Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Considering a Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering a Cayman R

Hi Guys!

I'm not a regualr here, as my P-car experience so far has been restricted to my 98 993 and the wife's 05 Cayenna S. The reason I have jumped over here is to request opinions pertaing to using a Cayman R as a daily driver...

Right now I have an Audi S4 on order... But, the process has been horrible, and by the time the car finally comes in it will have been over a year since I first put $$ down to order the car I wanted. The S4 is a beast, and I think I would enjoy it. But, the whole process has almost soured me on the Audi brand.

I previously drove an 06 Jetta GLI (2.0 Turbo, 6-speed manual) a a daily driver. I drive about 40 miles each way to work, so putting 100 miles a day on a car is not all that uncommon for me. I sold the Jetta when I thought the S4 was going to be received within 30 days... Since then I have been driving my 08 GMC pickup...

So... Now I am considering a Cayman R... Something about the car just gets my motor running, if you know what I mean. The Cayman would not replace my 98 C2S... I'm keeping that one! I do maybe 2 DEs a year, and the Cayman might well be used in that role from time to time... My concerns are with the practicality of driving a Cayman every day, putting close to 20k per year on the car. I know maintenance costs will be high, but probably not that much higher than on the Audi. The real delimma I suppose is do I buy a $70k car knowing that in 5 years it will have 100k on it and be worth 1/4 what I paid for it?

Just wondering how many of you Cayman owners drive you cars for daily transportation? All comments are welcome!

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While I don't own a Cayman of any kind I have seen it up close and the biggest difference between the Audi and Cayman is the size. Both cars are awesome though. I think you are going to have to seriously consider the mileage you are going to put while driving whichever car you go with.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

my 2010 Cayman/PDK is about 14 months old with more than 30,000 miles

it's a great daily driver! averaged over 27 mpg during recent 2400 mile trip to Parade (includes autocross runs) and back

Cayman R will not get as good on fuel economy
question will be seats, sport buckets are a little difficult getting in and out so may not be the best for a daily driver, then get the regular sports seats
recommend you sit in both before you decide

except for oil changes, tires and brake pads (too much track time) car has worked flawlessly
Old 08-27-2011, 08:29 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

I'm waiting for my Cayman R to arrive (currently on the ship). It is replacing a daily driven from new 2001 Boxster S (sold with 128K miles). The Boxster was completely fine for DD, long trips and the occasional track/Auto-X; I expect the Cayman to be better still (more trunk space, no soft-top issues, better power and gas mileage).

To me, it's not the miles, but the quality of the miles.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 PM
jpNcos
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent some time with the Cayman R and it is a great and very addicting car.

Having said that as a DD it is a little tough. First no AC unless you add it and then whats the point of getting the R. Also it sits very low and is nearly impossible not to scrape the front spoiler. Finally the race seats take some getting used to and spending much more the 100 miles at a time in them is a work out.

Despie all that go for it I loved my time in it and went straight to Porsche website looking to build my own. Haven't pulled the trigger with an up coming wedding but I would love to add one to my garage.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the cayman r is a beautiful package that would be great for dd and some tracking too.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm considering one as well. My decision is between the Cayman R vs. a 2009 997.2. I have been extremely impressed by the Caymans I have driven, and the R only increased my desire for one of the Porsche mid engines.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:54 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Btw, the June Excellence issue's cover story is on the Cayman R.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I got that one... It's the Excellence story that has me hot for the R model... Even though I would be adding radio and A/C, the R still comes out to be a pretty good value when you look at it as a package... I like the lowered suspension and lightweight wheels a lot... and the Aqua blue with silver accent striping really trips my trigger! Dammit... decisions, decisions...
Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Norra Norra
Banned

Why not get the S? Seems like a better choice for higher mileage. You can always add PASM and a lsd for track days. I actually think it will be cheaper to maintain then an s4, those things are terrible on gas, dont believe the EPA raitings they are pure fantasy. My buddy gets about 12-15 around town and maybe 22-23 highway when he's being careful. He actually considered a lawsuit he's been so mad lol. It is a very comfortable car though and has effortless speed but an entirely different feel then a cayman.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly, because when I build-out an S the way I want it built, it ends up costing as much if not more than an R would. When you spec an S with limited slip, a bit of alcantara, a painted console and trim stripe and the aero package, all options I would want on an S, then the R becomes a pretty good value! Yes, I would add a/c, a cupholder, and a radio, but I would still get the improved (and lowered) suspension tuning, and the aluminum doors and lightweight door panels that I cannot buy on the S. I understand the argument both ways, but if you're making a practicality argument then the scale is severely tilted in the S4's favor already, right?

I don't know... I guess I'll probably stick with the Audi, since most of the arguments that led me to that choice are still valid in my messed-up mind. Something about the R just gets me going... that's all I'm sayin'
Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

+1

hear hear to Aqua Blue with silver accents...it's awesome

what color of interior are you getting?

Originally Posted by Michael S.
.. and the Aqua blue with silver accent striping really trips my trigger!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

A few months ago, I drove a Cayman R, then an S, then back to the R at an autox track setup for the Porsche Driving Experience. The R's suspension is definitely more suited for track driving, but I think it can a be a good daily driver as well. If I can only have one car for all my driving duties, a PDK Cayman R would be a top choice (a PDK Boxster Spyder may top it only if I can customize a CF hardtop).

At any rate, I got sold on the Cayman platform; I recently replaced my 996 coupe DD with a Cayman, which I found to be a much better handling car. I also get decent fuel mileage (highway at >26 mpg, average at 24 mpg). Lastly, I think the Cayman maintains more of the Porsche sporting character than the more GT feel of the water-cooled 911s (including the 997s sans GT3/GT2).
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my Cayman R since Memorial Day. I have driven it as a daily driver all summer. It has been great as a daily driver. Make sure you get the sport seats and not the fixed sport bucket seats. My MPG has been about 21 combined highway and city. The ride quality is excellent and slightly more stiff than the S. You will notice more bumps on rough roads. Porsche designed this car to be a daily driver that you can take on the track. They achieved that goal. I have also had mine on the track at Watkins Glen. The car is awesome there also. Love it every time I get in. Good Luck
Jim
Old 09-11-2011, 02:16 AM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been daily driving my Cayman R since june 25 and can unequivocaby say it is a street car with a track attitude. I have the sport buckets and have no problems getting in and out (61 years old, 215lbs). Yes it takes a little more effort than lesser seats but once in them they are very comfortable. I speced mine with PDK, sport chrono, AAC, radio and rain sensing wipers. My commute is a mix of highway and city streets and is 30 miles round trip. So far I have 2250 miles on it and am averging 20.3 mpg. Unless you need a rear seat I say go with the R. You will not be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Considering a Cayman R