Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Considering a Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered a Cayman R specifically for daily driver use. It's going to replace my '08 135 coupe, which sees 60 miles every day on my commute. My car is dark blue metallic, A/C, free radio, cupholders, mats, self-dimming, sport shifter, and graphics delete.

The way I see it, it's an involving, quick, efficient car that feels special, while still being relatively low-profile enough to park without really worrying. And I can take it to the track twice or thrice a year, and it'll be totally reliable to pound around all day. Sure an S could do all of this, but I like how the R includes the LSD and seats that I would've ordered anyway.

However I wouldn't keep it as an only car. When I need to haul any semblance of cargo or people, I have a Cayenne. The combination of these two vehicles is totally ideal I think.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
. . . However I wouldn't keep it as an only car. When I need to haul any semblance of cargo or people, I have a Cayenne. The combination of these two vehicles is totally ideal I think.
I'll second that . . .
Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

You have the same combo we have, though our Cayman is and "S" and not an "R". We daily drive both vehicles and use the Cayman S at our DE's. Even lowered with KW V3 supsension the wife does not complain about the ride.

The only thing I don't like about the Cayman R is the lack of a hood over the instruments. It looks like it fell off or they forgot to put it on, looks incomplete.....
Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
Sure an S could do all of this, but I like how the R includes the LSD and seats that I would've ordered anyway.
Search for "LSD dissected"...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
+1
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I did that and only found this thread again. Is there another way to find what you're referring to?

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

LSD dissected
I've read about the LSD issues with these cars, and frankly I neither care nor believe it will affect my regular driving. I'd rather have a factory-installed LSD and bear the risk of failing under warranty, as opposed to having no LSD and then purchasing and installing an aftermarket LSD only to have some other warranty claim denied because of the aftermarket LSD's presence. After the car goes out of warranty, if the factory LSD fails, I'll consider an aftermarket one. I just don't want to chop up the drivetrain of a new car.

Another reason for going with R as opposed to S is that I plan zero modifications, and R has all the whiz-bang stuff I would want, straight from the factory. I don't want to deal with aftermarket iPod connectors, painted trim pieces, intakes, exhausts, suspension kits, wheels, etc. I am completely done with serious modifications to street cars. The other bits like fabric door handles, alum doors, and aerokit are unnecessary but welcome bonuses.

That said, I realize I'm going to have to do a minimum of pads and fluid in order to pound the car around the track; I have no problem with this.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm just pointing out that if I were shopping for one of these cars, i would put zero added value on it coming from Porsche with an LSD because Porsche's LSD doesn't work. Not at all. Not from day 1. It's not worth spending any money for an LSD, though if you are getting an R you aren't. With the R the LSD is just part of the "trim level" package.

But do you also realize that the second you take the car onto the track you've techincally voided your warranty? I'm just saying...

Grant,
I'll find it and link it. The search engine here can be funky.
My bad, it's on IB's other Porsche forum:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...dissected.html
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM
teamb2
Advanced

Are the R's going at MSRP now or discounting?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Grant,
I'll find it and link it. The search engine here can be funky.
My bad, it's on IB's other Porsche forum:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/b...dissected.html
Thanks! BTW, the Guard LSD in my 911 is fantastic!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:08 AM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

I don't have an R, but I use my Cayman S (with GT3 LCA's and PSS9's) as my daily driver. I don't find the too harsh and don't mind the miles I'm putting on it. My car is definitely worth less now than I paid for it (earlier this year), but I plan on driving this car into the ground so I'm a bit more accepting of the decline. I don't necessarily think your CR would decline down a value of $25K in 5 years. A well-optioned 2006 Cayman S, is still worth ~$35K (about 1/2 of it's 'new' price tag) and that's for a Gen I. And I'd be hard-pressed to find an '09 Cayman S in GOOD shape under $55K.

Also, to Matt's point re: LSD, the point is that the factory LSD overtime has a tendency to show higher wear than Guard, OSGiken, etc. Just something to take note of...

Good luck. I think you'll be very happy with the CR.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teamb2
Are the R's going at MSRP now or discounting?
Depends who you call. When I was shopping about a month ago, a guy at one dealer spoke like he was doing me a great favor from Adam to even get me a CR, and refused to budge from sticker. Another dealer offered 5% off without much prodding. I find that the higher-allocation dealers are more reasonable since they're used to moving cars off the lot more quickly.

That said, I don't know what's going on with allocation these days.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael S.
The real delimma I suppose is do I buy a $70k car knowing that in 5 years it will have 100k on it and be worth 1/4 what I paid for it?
If you don't want your car to depriciate, buy a CAMRY. If you are going to enjoy yourself, get the Cayman. BTW, your S4 will also drop in value. Practially ALL $70K cars will be worth about 20-30% in another 6 years.

Not sure, as a DD (and therefore Wife hauler) you'd notice the difference between the S and the R (since you would option the "R" back up most likely with AC, Radio etc). Then again, in the 1990s folks said the same thing about the RS America vs a C2. RSA's command a resale premium, so maybe the R is the better investment?

Did I just confuse myself? Anyway, a properly options S or R would make a great Daily driver imho.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
If you don't want your car to depriciate, buy a CAMRY.
indeed. a great value.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 PM
jimmyn
3rd Gear

Default Cayman R vs Spyder

For anyone wishing to get a comparison of the Spyder vs. the Cayman R, you may want to see this video just posted via excellence magazine. It features a comparison by Johannes Van Overbeen. Frankly I was not surprised by the fact that he choose the spyder as the overall better car. I was very surprised that he choose the spyder as the better car on the track. Johannes is a true expert when it comes to racing Porsche.

Quick Reply: Considering a Cayman R