Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Considering a Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,144 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Interesting...
Old 09-16-2011, 02:55 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

While I have a lot of respect for Johannes, that video is somewhat misleading. He's driving the car on the go-kart track at Sears Point. He says that the track has a lot of 1st and 2nd gear corners. That's no measure of what the cars will do on a full size race track. His conclusion, if based largely on that track experience, it's kind of unfounded. If he told me he felt that the Spyder was likely to be a better auto-x car based on that experience, I'd buy it. But go run both cars through turns 7 through 10 at Sears Point and come back to me with more feedback. I bet the Cayman wags it's tail a whole lot less under my above proposed circumstances.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I think the point that Johannes is making is that the Spyder seems to have more predicatable handling characteristics which allow the driver to go faster. Excellence just posted a small article which goes with the video.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:58 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I'll have to go read the whole article and see what I think.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Pete from Excellence had posted this in the Boxster 987 Forum (Link) https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...er-spyder.html
Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Turn3 Autosport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems odd, I wonder if they aligned both cars the same, considering they have all the same bits in them....
Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I read the article and it still doesn't gel with me. On the racecars I've been associated with the problem with the Caymans is ALWAYS push. Johannes is talking about the car being too loose as the problem. We've always dealing with making them looser, not tighter.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,144 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I read the article and it still doesn't gel with me. On the racecars I've been associated with the problem with the Caymans is ALWAYS push. Johannes is talking about the car being too loose as the problem. We've always dealing with making them looser, not tighter.
I think the combination of a tiny radius turn taken in 1st gear with a stiff suspension/chassis (stiffer than Spyder) is responsible for the power oversteer.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
While I have a lot of respect for Johannes, that video is somewhat misleading. He's driving the car on the go-kart track at Sears Point. He says that the track has a lot of 1st and 2nd gear corners. That's no measure of what the cars will do on a full size race track. His conclusion, if based largely on that track experience, it's kind of unfounded. If he told me he felt that the Spyder was likely to be a better auto-x car based on that experience, I'd buy it. But go run both cars through turns 7 through 10 at Sears Point and come back to me with more feedback. I bet the Cayman wags it's tail a whole lot less under my above proposed circumstances.
i agree.
need a test on a proper circuit. 1st and 2nd gears are hardly used on any corner on any proper track anywhere in the world.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
MrClean
Instructor

Before pulling the trigger on a Cayman R (becoming harder to find) you may want to consider the Audi TT RS.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TT just doesn't do it for me... Though I am sure it will be a great performing automobile, I just can't get excited about it... To be honest, I am leaning towards just sticking with the original plan and waiting on my S4 (they now have an early Nov build date). It's a much more practical solution for a wife and two pups(miniature schnauzers)... No way we could all travel in the Cayman.

I do appreciate everyone's input, but for now I guess I will have to limit my thrills to my 993 and daily drive the Audi... Not a bad outcome, actually. My wife says I'm spoiled... I don't know what she's talking about!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michael S.
The TT just doesn't do it for me... Though I am sure it will be a great performing automobile, I just can't get excited about it... To be honest, I am leaning towards just sticking with the original plan and waiting on my S4 (they now have an early Nov build date). It's a much more practical solution for a wife and two pups(miniature schnauzers)... No way we could all travel in the Cayman.

I do appreciate everyone's input, but for now I guess I will have to limit my thrills to my 993 and daily drive the Audi... Not a bad outcome, actually. My wife says I'm spoiled... I don't know what she's talking about!
I don't see anything wrong with that approach.

Spoiled? Oh yeah, I hear that, too.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Among the 997s, the Coupes/Cabs seem to have the same spring rates, BUT the bar thickness is thicker on the cabriolets. I have no idea if the same holds true for the 987 Boxster/Cayman, as that information is harder to come by than for the 997.2 variant. But, if the Boxster Spyder has a fairly stiffer front bar, it's going to have more balance on entry and exit and at least feel as if it has more rear grip.

The single most powerful tuning tool on any modern era 997/987 race car is the front sway bar, without a doubt.

My $.02.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Norra Norra
Banned

I've read a few other reports on Caymans (both base, S & R) with the factory LSD oversteering a bit. It sounds like Porsche needs to do a little more fine turning, we'll probably see adjustments in later model years. If I was currently shopping an R this wouldnt deter me, because if I was truly a track junkie I'd be doing adjustments anyway or waiting for factory spec changes and updating accordingly. As others have said, the Spyder and Cayman identical in most other specs so the cars can be tuned simalarly. If anything the Cayman should have better potential given the stiffer structure.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 PM
jpccarguy
2nd Gear

I've had my Cayman R since June, with approximately 3000 miles. Spec'd the car with sport buckets, A/C & stereo. It's a truly amazing car. I've been to two DE's, including Rd ATL, with everything stock, and the car is very capable just as is. At the last DE with Carolinas at CMP, two instructors from the Porsche Sport Driving School gave rides in a Cayman R. I took my student out with me, and one of the instructors passed me. He didn't get very far ahead of me, though. He's certainly a better driver, and he wasn't trying to set a fast lap time. He wanted to show what the car is capable of, and demonstrate his own handling abilities. I, on the other hand, have been to that track twenty times, and probably know it better than either of them.

I have no problem with my R's seats or suspension. If you can still find one, you will have no regrets.

YMMV,

John

Quick Reply: Considering a Cayman R