Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
My dad couldn't afford to put his 11 kids through college or buy a new 911; but he also wouldn't come on the internet and suggest how hard he worked to pay for a toy. My 991 dismissal isn't out of hand -- on the contrary - I actually own the car equipped with the same options I'd order tomorrow so I'm in a good position to criticize it. Regardless, since you like your car - don't worry about my opinion - enjoy in good health.
Your dad couldn't put his 11 kids through college? LOL! God, this world is retarded.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I too have the 7MT and could not be happier with the new gear box. I've owned only a few auto trans cars in the last 40 years so I think I know MT cars. I came from 4 TT'S in a row of 996 & 997 heritage and this is my 12th Pcar going back a long while. I drive twisty winding roads for 15 miles every day to work and even though my 4S does not have the kick in the *** power of the TT I can't imagine a better car for challenging roads to drive on.
I first can't believe that a person would buy a $100K car not knowing they would be bored so the tag "Troll" might be appropriate. If you're not a troll then sell the car and find something that makes you feel not bored. Why come on a forum where enthusiasts go to get knowledge about their cars and slam them. If you're not a troll you're immature and unaware.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:22 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sort of understand where the OP is coming from. Waay back in '95 the motoring press was falling all over themselves about the new six cylinder BMW M3. At the time I had an '89 turbo cab that I was unable to drive fast without perspiring a qt. through each palm. I sold the turbo and bought a new M3 without even driving it. I disliked the car after a few weeks. It was so smooth and fast and quiet and capable that it wasn't much fun until you were pushing it a bit. If you are driving on public roads around these parts in an M3 and you are pushing, you will likely end up in jail. The older 911's were a more tactile experience. The wheel danced in your hand, the brake pedal was like stepping on a brick and there was an element of adventure even at 7/10ths. Ther interior was more intimate. You could touch the base of the windshield without leaning forward. I even like the floor hinged pedals. The car had a handmade, carved from stone feel about it. The new car is better in every non subjective way. It is faster, more economical, more comfortable, quieter, requires less service, safer, and if you take it to the track it will be no contest. Still there is an element of that '95 M3 in the 991. It is much more fun to drive at 6 or 7/10ths than the M3, but it is a GT car at those velocities. It can became a real state of the art sports car when conditions exist that allow it to show its stuff.
I miss my 993tt but wouldn't sell this to get another. The pisser is I sold it last August. It has gone up in value about 35K while the 991 has gone down roughly the same amount.
I think taking your car to the track is the best advice you've been given. You will learn a great deal about your car, and maybe a little something about yourself. No matter what, you should feel fortunate to own such a car....Cheers....Chris
Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
And in the category of dropping the most super car references while feigning blasé ennui bordering on disdain for everything real enthusiasts admire the winner is…
I will respond to this post right after I can find my thesaurus. Seriously, you think he's feigning his ennui? I thought it was sincere. Aside from the troll.

It's only trolling if being genuinely unhappy with the vehicle you purchased should be something you keep to yourself; perhaps the title is a bit inflammatory.
Mmmmmm...

Originally Posted by socalsteve
But, I definitely think you need to sell it to someone who will enjoy it more than you and complain less than you.
Agreed. You should trade it in on a new Stingray. Have fun on the Corvette forums. That may be more to your liking.

However...

...if you want constructive feedback, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, go do some driving schools (HPDE) with the BMW club. They put on good schools with better in-car instruction than PCA or any other marque club. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, you've been to Nurburgring. BFD. You haven't spent enough time there to learn how to properly drive a car. You need instruction, you need some experience and you need more instruction. And just when you start to think that you might be a good driver, maybe you'll know enough then to realize just how much more there is for you to learn.

When you've reached that point, feel free to share your opinion of the Porsche 911. But as long as all you are capable of is extracting maybe 20% of the car's capabilities, you should just keep your opinions to yourself.

Or as a wise man once said: better to be thought a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:06 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the OP the same guy who mentioned in another thread that he brings home two women at the same time after a night in the clubs and was asking some question about proper seat belt use?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:11 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yawn................

Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Electrico
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a base Cayman with a 6MT.

Uber fun car and way better suited to driving hard on the street.

This from a guy who traded from a 2009 Cayman base to a 2012 C2S, the latter albeit with a 7MT.

There is an element of truth to the notion that it is difficult (and irresponsible oftentimes) to scratch the potential of a 991 of any ilk in context of the typical American road system. Thus, in the absence of an American Autobahn, the many track aficionados on this site and others. In Cali, if they catch you traveling in excess of 100 mph, there is a presumption of reckless driving, which means handcuffs and an impound.

My 7MT C2S hits 110 mph when I wind out 3rd.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I sold a mildly hot-rodded '89 Carrera for my 2012 C2S. I loved the Carrera, it had character by the bushel. It was a great track or back roads car and it looked great. Its weakness was refinement and comfort. I thought I would keep it many years. Then I attended the two-day Porsche HP Sport Driving School where I spent most of my track time in a new C2S. I was so knocked out by the 991 that I found and bought one within a month. The level of competence is so high with the new cars that they feel almost effortless. Maybe the effortless nature of its performance is what you object to. If that's the case, find yourself a nice late eighties Carrera--you can't go wrong.
As for me, I enjoy the duality of the new car, it's a luxury car on the one hand, but can drive around like its hair's on fire. In a choice between character and competence, I chose the latter.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:12 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

I kinda had a similar feeling with my 911S in the beginning.
I was coming from a c63 P31pkg car that had gobs of torque and I could drift at every corner.
That was a very exciting car to drive because it was a little out of control.
I lost some of that craziness with my 911 and at first I started to "almost" regret getting my 991.
I've put almost 2000mls on my 911 now and I'm more one with the car and have figured out how to get my heart pounding.
This car is miles and miles better than the c63 as a true sports car.
I would like more power and will get into a GT3 or Turbo if I say with a p-car after my lease is up.
Or I might go somewhere else, who know--for now I'm having a lot of fun in my 991!

Drive your car more and if it doesn't excite you, go test drive a C63 or Jag f-type, or ZO6, etc.
If you're a troll, go drive your coffee can Honda into a brick wall!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:12 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Hardly what I'm saying. I was simply making the point I have experience with 911's and am well aware of the differences in models. The boring traits escaped me because my prior experience with the 991 had been driving it on the autobahn. It's a fantastic autobahn cruiser. Of note - women love it too. ...but if you want a car that's fun to fool around with on American backroads with speed limits -- the car severely disappoints.

The 991 feels like exactly what Porsche intended it to be - a grand touring sporty car for the 50y/o and rising Asian market that buys them.

I had more fun driving my boy racer 2012 WRX STI.
They are buying Cayenne, Macan, and Panamera not 911.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I hope someday I'm wealthy enough to buy cars I haven't even test-driven. It must be nice to be able to do that, even if you end up with a bunch of cars you don't like.

On the other hand, no matter how much money I ever earn, I'd like to think I wouldn't do anything that dumb with it.

You're 30 years old, you've been "driving Porsches for a decade," you can afford to throw money down the drain on a 911S that doesn't fit your needs... but you can't afford a used 458? You're doing something wrong.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:36 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
Is the OP the same guy who mentioned in another thread that he brings home two women at the same time after a night in the clubs and was asking some question about proper seat belt use?

What to do, what to do?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
… The older 911's were a more tactile experience. The wheel danced in your hand, the brake pedal was like stepping on a brick and there was an element of adventure even at 7/10ths. Ther interior was more intimate. You could touch the base of the windshield without leaning forward. I even like the floor hinged pedals. The car had a handmade, carved from stone feel about it. The new car is better in every non subjective way. It is faster, more economical, more comfortable, quieter, requires less service, safer, and if you take it to the track it will be no contest. Still there is an element of that '95 M3 in the 991. It is much more fun to drive at 6 or 7/10ths than the M3, but it is a GT car at those velocities. It can became a real state of the art sports car when conditions exist that allow it to show its stuff.
I miss my 993tt but wouldn't sell this to get another. No matter what, you should feel fortunate to own such a car....Cheers....Chris
This is what I like about these posts. Even when the OP is so vague everybody is forced to guess what the heck he's talking about (the only real reasons given are "numb" steering and lack of bj mode) we still get informative comments like this one from Chris.

'Course, it would be better still if the OP could enlighten us a lot more (or at all?) on what exactly it is he finds so boring about driving the worlds greatest driving car. Aside from it not being an orgy on wheels, I mean.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
This is what I like about these posts. Even when the OP is so vague everybody is forced to guess what the heck he's talking about (the only real reasons given are "numb" steering and lack of bj mode) we still get informative comments like this one from Chris.

'Course, it would be better still if the OP could enlighten us a lot more (or at all?) on what exactly it is he finds so boring about driving the worlds greatest driving car. Aside from it not being an orgy on wheels, I mean.
You want an orgy on wheels. Try this. Turn off traction control/porsche stability management and only use full throttle or no throttle. You aren't allowed to use anything in between. Then tell me it's a boring car.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
On the other hand, no matter how much money I ever earn, I'd like to think I wouldn't do anything that dumb with it.
Read the OP's posts carefully and I think you'll see that you've hit the issue precisely.

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore