Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:18 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know in what price range the external lap trigger is?

The lap trigger available through Porsche Tequipment allows even more precise measurement of the lap times. This can be positioned next to the start and finish line on the circuit and automatically measures and transmits the lap times.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tre
Definitely my line of logic. Too bad others haven't thought of the integrated camera like the General did with the Z06.

I actually like that the cam is used on Smartphone rather than integrated cam in the car, because over time smartphone cams get better and constantly being upgraded as a pose to having a cam permanent on the rear view mirror that can't be upgraded easily.

Edit: Also iPhone 6 plus now has optical image stabilization, rock on!
Old 09-23-2014, 11:42 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie1
Does anyone know in what price range the external lap trigger is?
I searched for it in Techquipment and it is not there..... yet.
I don't think any cars have been delivered with the additional electronics needed to use it.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH OK...
I wasn't interested in this option as no vid but now all that changes.
Vid quality off any cell out there can touch Go Pro quality?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
OH OK... I wasn't interested in this option as no vid but now all that changes. Vid quality off any cell out there can touch Go Pro quality?
IMO, no. The video quality from a gopro is much better. This is why I hope the data can be exported so I can overlay onto my gopro video. Not a fan of phone video, but that is me
Old 09-24-2014, 03:10 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

I'm getting this option. It's a must for me.

I don't mind it not having an integrated camera. Cameras evolve all the time and the quality keeps getting better, so I don't want to be stuck with a ****ty camera.

I wish it had a wifi trigger like BMW's so that I could trigger my GoPro on/off, but it's not a big deal.

What I do hope is what orthojoe said, I would love to have exportable data so that I can overlay on GoPro videos (with RaceRender).
Old 09-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orthojoe
IMO, no. The video quality from a gopro is much better. This is why I hope the data can be exported so I can overlay onto my gopro video. Not a fan of phone video, but that is me

OK fair enough! Never really played with editing a Go Pro vid. Is there software out there on the net? i once looked but could not figure it outLOL
Any recommendation on whats best would be great
Old 09-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nlpamg
I'm getting this option. It's a must for me.

I don't mind it not having an integrated camera. Cameras evolve all the time and the quality keeps getting better, so I don't want to be stuck with a ****ty camera.

I wish it had a wifi trigger like BMW's so that I could trigger my GoPro on/off, but it's not a big deal.

What I do hope is what orthojoe said, I would love to have exportable data so that I can overlay on GoPro videos (with RaceRender).
IF it's like Harry's, then you'll be able to trigger laps on your GoPro so they sync with the lap timer video & data. The current Harry's does a great job with this integration since it allows the GoPro video to do a picture-in-picture overlay with the phone captured video. And with the GoPro app, you can import the video from the GoPro over-the-air or via WiFi and then do all the processing (overlay, etc) in the Harry's app.

Again, that's IF the Porsche system is like Harry's.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 AM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

If the Porsche system is like Harry's it would be buggy and would miss triggers and not take vids of certain laps, etc.

I used Harry's for some time with the external GPS and OBD2 dongle. It was so buggy. That's why I switched to the AIM Solo DL which was always consistent and way closer to the transponder times than Harry's. I love Harry's external triggers and ease of use, but I hate its unreliability.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nlpamg
If the Porsche system is like Harry's it would be buggy and would miss triggers and not take vids of certain laps, etc. I used Harry's for some time with the external GPS and OBD2 dongle. It was so buggy. That's why I switched to the AIM Solo DL which was always consistent and way closer to the transponder times than Harry's. I love Harry's external triggers and ease of use, but I hate its unreliability.
Totally came to the same conclusion as you about 2 years ago and did the same. I blame the inconsistently of HLT on the external GPS and obd2 dongles, though. I'm assuming that a factory integrated system won't have this issue. We will see...
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
OK fair enough! Never really played with editing a Go Pro vid. Is there software out there on the net? i once looked but could not figure it outLOL Any recommendation on whats best would be great
I use dash ware and track vision. I think dash ware is easier to use, but track vision has nicer looking gauges. People with macs use race render because they have a native Mac version. I think race render gauges look horrible
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I use dash ware and track vision. I think dash ware is easier to use, but track vision has nicer looking gauges. People with macs use race render because they have a native Mac version. I think race render gauges look horrible
lol, Mac user that uses Race Render right here!

yes, you are correct, I didn't like having to go into Windows to do the overlay (although I still had to in order to extract the data from the AIM since the AIM software was Windows only).

Race Render isn't too bad:
Old 10-14-2014, 03:29 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 609 Likes on 373 Posts

Anybody get their 2015 with Sport Chrono yet?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:05 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry if a repost, but as per Macca's PH post:

"Porsche Track App is available free on the iPhone App store.... "

Anyone with a 2015 and sport chrono try this out yet?

BTW, it mentions you need the lap trigger preparation for full functionality. Any comments on how useful this is?
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing to point out, the App states very clear that the sports chrono except for the clock only works on a race track. So if you want to use this for street purposes it won't work.

Thus if you think you will not track this car you will be paying for a very high priced clock. I may change my order to remove the clock.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App