Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I have brake pressure on Aim solo with smartycam HD 2.0 on OBD11 in my 991 GT3? I use it after every track day to analyse my braking zones...
Getting brake pressure is dependent on the type of car you've got. It works with the 991 but not with the 981 Caymans (including the GT4).

Do you like the AIM Solo DL/Smartcam setup? I'm planning on holding out until the Vbox HD2 is released because it can compare the video of two laps side-by-side but I'm still considering the AIM alternative. Spring is coming...
Old 02-03-2016, 12:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Getting brake pressure is dependent on the type of car you've got. It works with the 991 but not with the 981 Caymans (including the GT4).

Do you like the AIM Solo DL/Smartcam setup? I'm planning on holding out until the Vbox HD2 is released because it can compare the video of two laps side-by-side but I'm still considering the AIM alternative. Spring is coming...
You don't get brake pressure through obd2 on both the 981 and the 991. For some reason, the GT3 is the only exception. I plan on going CAN
Old 02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You don't get brake pressure through obd2 on both the 981 and the 991. For some reason, the GT3 is the only exception. I plan on going CAN
Yeah, me too. I think that requires AIM to do some work to decode the CAN signals into something it can understand. Same issue with Vbox and neither company seems to have a schedule (at least not one they'll share) about when it's going to happen. It's surprising to me how immature all this stuff is; I guess it's a small market.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:07 PM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

When I learnt that it doesnt allow for video for open roads (non recognized preset track) i dumped it...

Ok, Porsche doesnt want us to race in any other environment, but what if our country doesnt have any track and we legally use our roads as tracks!

Bummer....

Wael
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,081 Likes on 5,256 Posts

Originally Posted by WazRS
When I learnt that it doesnt allow for video for open roads (non recognized preset track) i dumped it...

Ok, Porsche doesnt want us to race in any other environment, but what if our country doesnt have any track and we legally use our roads as tracks!

Bummer....

Wael
You can record your own track.

Just drive the road once with your iPhone and Track App set to record, then the next time the App will treat your road course just like a real "track"
Old 02-03-2016, 01:10 PM
FergusH
Pro

Bummer....

Wael
You can define your own track and then Track Precision will record video and data. What you won't get on your own tracks is the live view while you're driving. And, if you're talking about truly open roads (that is, you just want to record a random drive, with no redefined course) then Track Precision won't do it at all.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM
WazRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You can record your own track.

Just drive the road once with your iPhone and Track App set to record, then the next time the App will treat your road course just like a real "track"
You can define your own track and then Track Precision will record video and data. What you won't get on your own tracks is the live view while you're driving. And, if you're talking about truly open roads (that is, you just want to record a random drive, with no redefined course) then Track Precision won't do it at all.
I read you guys... I will try once again but would like to ask if there is any thread (which i failed to find) that will guide us thru using the App... Kind of a Track Precision App for Dummies...

I did try to 'record' a track once, by activating 'Start' - Driving the Road - 'Finish'.. Then chosing the track after to record a session and it just said 'no live view' and blocked there... Maybe I'm doing it all wrong?

Wael
Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM
FergusH
Pro

I read you guys... I will try once again but would like to ask if there is any thread (which i failed to find) that will guide us thru using the App... Kind of a Track Precision App for Dummies...

I did try to 'record' a track once, by activating 'Start' - Driving the Road - 'Finish'.. Then chosing the track after to record a session and it just said 'no live view' and blocked there... Maybe I'm doing it all wrong?

Wael
Ah! I can help you with that. Two things:

1. If you're not on a track that Track Precision knows about, then you will *always* see the message about no live data. TP will be recording; you just won't see a live display.

2. By default, TP is not configured to record video. To turn it on, tap the Video button from the home screen. Turn on "Video" and "Microphone" and be sure to tap the Confirm button. (If you instead tap the back button at the top left of the screen, you'll leave the video screen and not save your changes.)

Lastly, I find it's easier to define a track by using the Map view. If it's a loop, I'll use the Start/Finish mark; if it's not I'll put a start mark, then a finish mark.

Let me know if that works for you.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:29 PM
WazRS
Instructor

Ah! I can help you with that. Two things:

1. If you're not on a track that Track Precision knows about, then you will *always* see the message about no live data. TP will be recording; you just won't see a live display.

2. By default, TP is not configured to record video. To turn it on, tap the Video button from the home screen. Turn on "Video" and "Microphone" and be sure to tap the Confirm button. (If you instead tap the back button at the top left of the screen, you'll leave the video screen and not save your changes.)

Lastly, I find it's easier to define a track by using the Map view. If it's a loop, I'll use the Start/Finish mark; if it's not I'll put a start mark, then a finish mark.

Let me know if that works for you.

Ok well noted! Thanks... I live away from my car and visit home once a couple of month I'll save this anyway..
Karim (my son) will try it if he's reading this.....
Thanks!
Wael
Old 02-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So, for someone doing autocross, if they want video+data, do they have to 'define the track'
during their first run, then hopefully it will record everything the rest of the runs? Then, can
the 'track' be deleted? (a year of autocross will define maybe 70 one-use 'tracks'...
Old 02-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did enough searching to find some online documentation for the track app. I wanted to know how to get the best GPS input, and whether I could export the video and data in a generic way so I could view/process them on a PC using one of the full-power, full-screen analysis tools.

Good news on both fronts!

First I found:
http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-op...precision-app/

which led me to
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...chrono-package

which led me to
http://www.porsche.com/usa/app/

and
http://files2.porsche.com/filestore....e-001a64c55f5c

So, the unit can be config'ed to accept good 10hz GPS from external units:

"To be compatible with the app, the external GPS system must transmit location information using an NMEA protocol.
The following GPS receivers are compatible with iOS:
– VBOX Sport
– Dual Sky Pro (XGPS160)

The following GPS receivers are compatible with Android:
– Qstarz BT-Q1000XTM (5 Hz)
– Qstarz BT-Q1000EX (10 Hz)
– Qstarz BT-Q818XT (10 Hz)"

And the data can be exported in several forms:

"The various file formats available for export support a wide range of data analyses.
a) When the “Porsche Track Precision App” file format is selected, an export file is created, which can then be imported and analysed by other “Porsche Track Precision App” users.
b) When the “.csv” file format is selected, all of the vehicle data can be displayed on your home PC with various programs.
c) When the “.vbo” file format is selected, the vehicle data can be opened and analysed using the “Circuit Tools” program from RaceLogic. When opening the data in “Circuit Tools” please enter a lograte of 10 Hz.
d) When the “.kml” file format is selected, the track profile can be displayed on the map using Google Earth™."

HTH,
Joe
Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
I did enough searching to find some online documentation for the track app. I wanted to know how to get the best GPS input, and whether I could export the video and data in a generic way so I could view/process them on a PC using one of the full-power, full-screen analysis tools.

Good news on both fronts!

First I found:
http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-op...precision-app/

which led me to
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...chrono-package

which led me to
http://www.porsche.com/usa/app/

and
http://files2.porsche.com/filestore....e-001a64c55f5c

So, the unit can be config'ed to accept good 10hz GPS from external units:

"To be compatible with the app, the external GPS system must transmit location information using an NMEA protocol.
The following GPS receivers are compatible with iOS:
– VBOX Sport
– Dual Sky Pro (XGPS160)

The following GPS receivers are compatible with Android:
– Qstarz BT-Q1000XTM (5 Hz)
– Qstarz BT-Q1000EX (10 Hz)
– Qstarz BT-Q818XT (10 Hz)"

And the data can be exported in several forms:

"The various file formats available for export support a wide range of data analyses.
a) When the “Porsche Track Precision App” file format is selected, an export file is created, which can then be imported and analysed by other “Porsche Track Precision App” users.
b) When the “.csv” file format is selected, all of the vehicle data can be displayed on your home PC with various programs.
c) When the “.vbo” file format is selected, the vehicle data can be opened and analysed using the “Circuit Tools” program from RaceLogic. When opening the data in “Circuit Tools” please enter a lograte of 10 Hz.
d) When the “.kml” file format is selected, the track profile can be displayed on the map using Google Earth™."

HTH,
Joe
I've used my Porsche Track Precision with my XGPS160 a few times. Definitely tricky to get working and takes a few re-connects / re-launches of the app sometimes before I finally get that green light next to the external GPS icon.

That being said, all of your log exports above assume you actually still have your run data to export. What has made me ditch the app is the random deletion of my sessions on a given day (my morning session will just disappear sometimes when I go to view it in the afternoon), and deletion of older historical sessions.

It just can't be relied upon in my mind for tracking improvements over time given this.

I've been meaning to try and initiate a refund request for the option to Porsche in hopes of actually getting some attention on it... perhaps if we all do that, they will listen.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Who needs all that hassle on a busy track day? The great thing about the Aim/smarty cam and new Vbox Video2 systems is you jump in the car fire up the engine and as soon as you start moving they are recording the session on film with overlay and as data traces for later dissection. It's a track day, often busy and hot with plenty to think about and do before going out (6 points, neck restraint etc) who needs the added hassle of failed Wifi connections and deleted files. The option wasn't available when I bought my GT3 but even so I Think the 1800 I instead invested in the aim set up with can/obd2 means it can be moved from car to car and sold downstream if need be. I hope this becomes easier for owners as updates arrive and I'm sure it will. It's a great idea just not strong on the execution...
Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Who needs all that hassle on a busy track day? The great thing about the Aim/smarty cam and new Vbox Video2 systems is you jump in the car fire up the engine and as soon as you start moving they are recording the session on film with overlay and as data traces for later dissection. It's a track day, often busy and hot with plenty to think about and do before going out (6 points, neck restraint etc) who needs the added hassle of failed Wifi connections and deleted files. The option wasn't available when I bought my GT3 but even so I Think the 1800 I instead invested in the aim set up with can/obd2 means it can be moved from car to car and sold downstream if need be. I hope this becomes easier for owners as updates arrive and I'm sure it will. It's a great idea just not strong on the execution...
Agreed in principle 100%.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,081 Likes on 5,256 Posts

Technical issues aside (WiFi connections, etc.), it's actually less of a hassle using the Track App than with a Aim/Smarty Cam setup.

Mount your iPhone (or Droid device), hit record, and off you go. No ECU connection needed.

Quick Reply: Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?