Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016 | 08:56 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

I'm convinced Racer99 is one of the Porsche Track Precision app developers given his seemingly biased support of the app as the best thing ever.
Old 02-11-2016 | 10:20 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Wow, cool. I'd want the video, for sure, and likely also want to download
the data to analyze on the PC using one of the good programs....

Let me know when you next plan a B.A. autocross and I'll come to hook up and watch etc.
March 20?
Hey Joe,

I'm probably not driving on March 20th but I live close enough that I might come by.

Yes, you can definitely get video from Track Precision. You can also export in a variety of data formats, including the .vbo format that Racelogic uses for their devices and Circuit Tools software.
Old 02-11-2016 | 10:43 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Cool, yeah, do come, and I'll drive it for you! (hahahaha! I crack myself up!)
I am car-less, gussying up the Palatov for sale... I may go to that event anyway
and just instruct for the day...
Old 02-13-2016 | 11:31 PM
rookie1
Instructor

[QUOTE=Racer99;13006689]
Originally Posted by rookie1
I'm using the Android app and tried several different phones (Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Moto X, Samsung S4) and both external GPS receiver and internal GPS. Just can't get it to work.
QUOTE]

But why? On which Step?
Did you read the Help and FAQ?
As I mentioned before the app always claims that there is no track closeby and I'm stuck at the "select track closeby" step.
Old 02-14-2016 | 01:32 PM
FergusH
Pro

[QUOTE=rookie1;13015028]
Originally Posted by Racer99

As I mentioned before the app always claims that there is no track closeby and I'm stuck at the "select track closeby" step.
I'm curious: where are you when you get this message and what track do you have selected? I have other problems with Track Precision but never this one.

I did a quick test by:

1. Launching the app at home (without even being anywhere near the car)
2. Deleting any custom track near my house
3. Tapping Start; I do see the "Please select a nearby Track" message.

then I:

1. Tap Tracks > Add Track > via Map
2. Give the track a name, then tap Add Mark > Start/Finish
3. Give the sector a name, position the Start/Finish on the street outside my house, tap Confirm, tap Save.
4. Go back to the home screen and tap Tracks, tap my new track it should be at the top of the list, under "Nearby Tracks" and tap Confirm.
5. On the home screen, tap Start.
6. I no longer see "Please select a nearby Track".

The step I've sometimes forgotten is 4: choosing the track after I've made it.
Old 02-29-2016 | 07:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mech33
Odd. I assume the data is still present on the CAN bus.
It is.

Originally Posted by Macca
I have brake pressure on Aim solo with smartycam HD 2.0 on OBD11 in my 991 GT3? I use it after every track day to analyse my braking zones...
Yep. Nice tools.

Originally Posted by FergusH
Getting brake pressure is dependent on the type of car you've got. It works with the 991 but not with the 981 Caymans (including the GT4).

It works fine on the GT4 if you wire to the CAN and use the proper protocol. As a matter of fact, unlike the other 981 cars, the GT4 delivers only one brake pressure channel, on BRK_PR_4, which is fine for our purposes.

Do you like the AIM Solo DL/Smartcam setup? I'm planning on holding out until the Vbox HD2 is released because it can compare the video of two laps side-by-side but I'm still considering the AIM alternative. Spring is coming...
I like (and sell) them both, for different reasons.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You don't get brake pressure through obd2 on both the 981 and the 991. For some reason, the GT3 is the only exception. I plan on going CAN
That's odd. Your experience does not match mine. I have many standard 991 and a few 991 GT3 customers that get brake pressure just fine through the 991_981_OBDII protocol for the 991.

Originally Posted by Macca
Who needs all that hassle on a busy track day? The great thing about the Aim/smarty cam and new Vbox Video2 systems is you jump in the car fire up the engine and as soon as you start moving they are recording the session on film with overlay and as data traces for later dissection. It's a track day, often busy and hot with plenty to think about and do before going out (6 points, neck restraint etc) who needs the added hassle of failed Wifi connections and deleted files. The option wasn't available when I bought my GT3 but even so I Think the 1800 I instead invested in the aim set up with can/obd2 means it can be moved from car to car and sold downstream if need be. I hope this becomes easier for owners as updates arrive and I'm sure it will. It's a great idea just not strong on the execution...
Agreed. On all counts.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-29-2016 | 07:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That's odd. Your experience does not match mine. I have many standard 991 and a few 991 GT3 customers that get brake pressure just fine through the 991_981_OBDII protocol for the 991.
Were those standard 991s optioned with PDK? My buddy with a manual 991GTS can't get brake pressure through obd2. My friends with 981GTS in manual can't get brake pressure either. Perhaps it's an issue of PDK vs manual?

brake pressure through obd2 on 991GT3 works for me.
Old 03-04-2016 | 02:52 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Repeating what I posted in the other thread:

I tried the app again yesterday on Laguna Seca (which is in the preinstalled tracks list), this time on an iPhone. Unlike the Android version I didn't get stuck with the "select a track nearby" message but it lost at some point 3 out of my 4 sessions... just gone although they were saved and in the list during the day
So the Android version doesn't recognize that I'm near the track that was selected and the iPhone version loses the saved sessions afterwards randomly... so it's useless to me unfortunately.

If anyone found solutions to either of these problems, I'd be happy to hear about it.
Old 03-04-2016 | 03:03 PM
FergusH
Pro

Repeating what I posted in the other thread:

I tried the app again yesterday on Laguna Seca (which is in the preinstalled tracks list), this time on an iPhone. Unlike the Android version I didn't get stuck with the "select a track nearby" message but it lost at some point 3 out of my 4 sessions... just gone although they were saved and in the list during the day
So the Android version doesn't recognize that I'm near the track that was selected and the iPhone version loses the saved sessions afterwards randomly... so it's useless to me unfortunately.

If anyone found solutions to either of these problems, I'd be happy to hear about it.
The bad news is that there's no solution to the data loss problem.

The good news is that I know for a fact that Porsche is aware of the problem. I do think they will have a fix for this problem soon.

The other good news is that there's a simple workaround for this problem: export your session data after each session. Described here (go to 2:20 in the video):

Yes, it's definitely not ideal but at least for me, it's worked 100% of the time and has enabled me to use the app reliably.
Old 04-17-2016 | 02:47 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Note that the track precision app was updated (both for iOS and Android) and in the app update description for iOS they claim the update addresses the random deletion of session data.

I'll give it a try on Wednesday on Thunderhill.
Old 04-18-2016 | 01:50 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Note that the track precision app was updated (both for iOS and Android) and in the app update description for iOS they claim the update addresses the random deletion of session data.

I'll give it a try on Wednesday on Thunderhill.
I just used it since the last update. It was working fine, although I never noticed any problems before the update.
Old 04-18-2016 | 02:04 AM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

This app is hot garbage.

I downloaded the update and I used it this weekend at Chuckwalla.

The first session was ok and it actually logged my entire session.

The second session it crashed and didn't save anything.

The third session, it recorded some laps, but it didn't know the correct start stop and basically thought that two laps were one lap.

I stopped using it and went back to Harry's (which also wasn't perfect), but at least it didn't lose my data.

This is such a waste and a joke.

I hate how they force everyone to create a new track, why can't they have a database like Harry's?
Old 04-18-2016 | 02:34 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Just a tip, if you drive a open track on like a field you could do without external gps antenna. But i am always using it anyway, as then you will never get out of conection.

Like if on Nurburgring you must, due to them 300m height difference and all trees you would lose conection if not using. The small thing is magnetic and is attatched to roof and should sitt mid roof to get best signals.

As well to make god original Porsche app film quality to youtube just do as Mark do...

Old 04-18-2016 | 03:27 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nlpamg
This app is hot garbage.

I downloaded the update and I used it this weekend at Chuckwalla.

The first session was ok and it actually logged my entire session.

The second session it crashed and didn't save anything.

The third session, it recorded some laps, but it didn't know the correct start stop and basically thought that two laps were one lap.

I stopped using it and went back to Harry's (which also wasn't perfect), but at least it didn't lose my data.

This is such a waste and a joke.

I hate how they force everyone to create a new track, why can't they have a database like Harry's?
That's disappointing. They should refund everyone's Sport Chrono option cost.
Old 04-18-2016 | 03:37 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Its so easy to create your own track. Thing is, the more people start using the app and setting their track, i am sure we all can use them them? Like you guys in USA can you check if you got sweden track Gotland ring in your default track data?

Anyway this option to make own track is a must have anyway. As sometimes they get wrong start/finish, raclogicg got default wrong start/finish on BTG Nurburgring. Then you set your own correct on that thing as well.

Last edited by Nur93; 04-18-2016 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?