Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 PM
CM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I'd like to do is to use Track Precision App only for data capture (no video) + external GPS + Gopro, and generate video with Racerender or Dashware.
There's is a lot of datas recorded with Precision App and it's easy to export.

Does anyone has tried this combo ?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CM
What I'd like to do is to use Track Precision App only for data capture (no video) + external GPS + Gopro, and generate video with Racerender or Dashware.
There's is a lot of datas recorded with Precision App and it's easy to export.

Does anyone has tried this combo ?
I played around with this and it seem like it'll work just fine, because the Porsche app can export data in a variety of useful formats. However, the app is so unreliable that's it's not workable.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by Mech33
To everyone with issues, please take a minute to leave an App Store review. This is likely the only way to get through to Porsche in hopes of them trying to fix it.
Yes! Along with calling Porsche, this is the best way to make a change. In most companies, a poor score on the Google and Apple is something that gets noticed by management.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:52 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe a stupid question and OT. I have ordered Sport Chrono and the Track Precision App to the car that arrives this spring, can you do overlay from the app into a GoPro movie?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,789 Likes on 5,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus S.
Maybe a stupid question and OT. I have ordered Sport Chrono and the Track Precision App to the car that arrives this spring, can you do overlay from the app into a GoPro movie?
Yes. Just go into iTunes and download the appropriate video files, then import into your GoPro files.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 AM
CP_DXB
Intermediate

I am using the Porsche app as well. I have used it on 3 occasions, at the same track. It was a bit fussy to set up in the beginning, but it worked for me all 3 times. I first used my iPhone 6s+ and it was fine but the video was jittery due to the weight of the phone and the rubbish mount I used. I then switched to a latest-gen iPod Touch. I use the app video and have it set to use the car's GPS. In my latest session, I used a modified GoPro mount to remove most of the jitter from the video. The overlay is great but the data transfer rate is slow, so you can tell there's a slight delay between the data displayed and the video.
Twice the app would not register which track I was on (it kept prompting me to select track), the issue cleared with a typical power-off/power-on cycle of the iPod.
My friend had his GT4 at the track for the first time this weekend, he has the app/setup. I helped him enter the data and set up his device, but it didn't work at all for him. He used an iPhone 6s. I have no idea why it didn't work for him as I set it up identical to mine and mine worked perfectly. I will look into his setup at our next track event.
As far as deleted records, I have only ever lost 1 record and that was my own finger-trouble.
If I were to request changes/upgrades to the app, I would request a faster data transfer rate and the ability to record in a format that is easily shared on internet/social media.
I hope this info helps you.
CP
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CP_DXB
I am using the Porsche app as well. I have used it on 3 occasions, at the same track. It was a bit fussy to set up in the beginning, but it worked for me all 3 times. I first used my iPhone 6s+ and it was fine but the video was jittery due to the weight of the phone and the rubbish mount I used. I then switched to a latest-gen iPod Touch. I use the app video and have it set to use the car's GPS. In my latest session, I used a modified GoPro mount to remove most of the jitter from the video. The overlay is great but the data transfer rate is slow, so you can tell there's a slight delay between the data displayed and the video.
Twice the app would not register which track I was on (it kept prompting me to select track), the issue cleared with a typical power-off/power-on cycle of the iPod.
My friend had his GT4 at the track for the first time this weekend, he has the app/setup. I helped him enter the data and set up his device, but it didn't work at all for him. He used an iPhone 6s. I have no idea why it didn't work for him as I set it up identical to mine and mine worked perfectly. I will look into his setup at our next track event.
As far as deleted records, I have only ever lost 1 record and that was my own finger-trouble.
If I were to request changes/upgrades to the app, I would request a faster data transfer rate and the ability to record in a format that is easily shared on internet/social media.
I hope this info helps you.
CP
it would be interesting to see what backgrounds apps you are running on your phone, if any, vs your friends? i keep meaning to close all apps on the phone and put in aircraft mode with just wifi enabled but inevitably i forget
Old 01-28-2016, 12:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgibrit
it would be interesting to see what backgrounds apps you are running on your phone, if any, vs your friends? i keep meaning to close all apps on the phone and put in aircraft mode with just wifi enabled but inevitably i forget
Airplane mode with wifi is actually what is recommended by Porsche.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:36 AM
CP_DXB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
When I used my phone I think it was in airplane mode, perhaps that helped. I also recall manually stopping all other apps while I was using the track app. On my last track day I used the iPod Touch with only the track app active, worked great. I'll probably have to look at both those points on my friend's setup before he goes out again.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:03 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by CP_DXB
When I used my phone I think it was in airplane mode, perhaps that helped. I also recall manually stopping all other apps while I was using the track app. On my last track day I used the iPod Touch with only the track app active, worked great. I'll probably have to look at both those points on my friend's setup before he goes out again.
It worked great for me too during the sessions. It was after I was done that was the problem: one session just disappeared. That seems to be the experience of some other people too. The app will work but data gets lost later. I suppose the best idea is to export the session as soon as you're done but that shouldn't be necessary.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I wonder if that is a tech/bandwidth recommendation, or a liability one. If in airplane mode with WiFi enabled you could not make or take a call, which would of course be utterly inappropriate (understatement) on track.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Banango
I wonder if that is a tech/bandwidth recommendation, or a liability one. If in airplane mode with WiFi enabled you could not make or take a call, which would of course be utterly inappropriate (understatement) on track.
I've always wanted to use the telephone Bluetooth setup on the track as an in-car communication device for a lead-and-follow.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

While Aim Solo/Smartycam does not do brake pressure in OBD mode, you can use long accel as a good proxy until either AIM solves the issue or you get CAN hooked up.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
I think it's just that getting a call interrupts the recording (just like with Harry's Lap Timer), so Airplane mode helps prevent that.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
While Aim Solo/Smartycam does not do brake pressure in OBD mode, you can use long accel as a good proxy until either AIM solves the issue or you get CAN hooked up.
I have brake pressure on Aim solo with smartycam HD 2.0 on OBD11 in my 991 GT3? I use it after every track day to analyse my braking zones...

Quick Reply: Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?