Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016 | 01:44 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by nlpamg
This app is hot garbage.

I downloaded the update and I used it this weekend at Chuckwalla.

The first session was ok and it actually logged my entire session.

The second session it crashed and didn't save anything.

The third session, it recorded some laps, but it didn't know the correct start stop and basically thought that two laps were one lap.

I stopped using it and went back to Harry's (which also wasn't perfect), but at least it didn't lose my data.

This is such a waste and a joke.

I hate how they force everyone to create a new track, why can't they have a database like Harry's?
Wow, that's bad news! I'm going to Thunderhill this Wednesday and although I've done a bunch of testing with the new version of the app, it'll be the first time with it on the track.

Were you using an external GPS or the built-in GPS of the smart phone?
Old 04-18-2016 | 02:38 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FergusH
Wow, that's bad news! I'm going to Thunderhill this Wednesday and although I've done a bunch of testing with the new version of the app, it'll be the first time with it on the track.

Were you using an external GPS or the built-in GPS of the smart phone?
I was using the car's GPS. I have an external GPS as well (the Dual XGPS 160) and sometimes it picks it up, other times it doesn't, so I stopped really trying to use it.
Old 04-18-2016 | 03:16 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

For accurate speed and laptimes you need gps with 10-20 Hz update. iPhone 1 Hz no good. Car gps no good.

Porsche recomend vbox-sport for iPhone users. And qstarz for android. But this is not in need if you ok to have not accurate speed/timing. Still the magnetic gps receiver (you put outside on cars steel, it will not attatch on gt4 front Hood as not steel) is god to have to stay in contract with the gps satelites all time. If not used you could lose conection due to many reason. As mentioned in my post above. But aslo you could lose gps conection due to modern type of windscreen i guess as well due to location where iPhone / android is put in windscreen. Its very importent where you must put it. Porsche also mentioned this. Just under mirror mid of front windscreen is ok.

Please buy magnetic puck and put in vbox-sport 20hz device and this crap will work fine. All Racelogic products, like driftbox, vbox and what not I use this magnetic gps receiver to make sure in gps satelites conection. If i drive Racelogic on nur without magnetic receiver put outside car I will also get gps dropouts. Hence datatrace look like crap, cant be used.

It seems the major difference between me and others are this magnetic receiver. It might be a god idé to test this guys. See my gt4 thread its all in there with pics of that external magnetic divice. I never drove with out it, never. Same when on raclogic products logging.
Old 04-18-2016 | 03:42 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Consider this:

If you use a 1Hz GPS receiver it takes 1 second between each update.

If you pass start/finish line at 200km/h you will travel 55 meters on that second and the software you use might not detect that it should start recording a new lap.

If you have a 20Hz GPS receiver you get an update every 1/20th of a second. You will travel 2.75 meters during that 1/20 second. This will give the software a good chance to start recording the new lap.

And as Nur93 wrote: To get best effect of an external antenna it should be located in the middle of the surface you place it on.
Old 04-18-2016 | 03:56 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Kobalt, you going to nur this year? Would be fun to meet, I will have 500hp and 600nm. Cant wait, its like a 🔥. See you at Gotland ring as well? I will go there as well.

You get you car? Sorry, if PM is better, please.
Old 04-18-2016 | 04:19 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nur93
Kobalt, you going to nur this year? Would be fun to meet, I will have 500hp and 600nm. Cant wait, its like a 🔥. See you at Gotland ring as well? I will go there as well.

You get you car? Sorry, if PM is better, please.

In short: Car: Yes. Nur: Yes: 1-7 of May , 18-21 of May
Old 04-18-2016 | 04:31 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Nice. Ok, my dates are after , juli/aug i hope. Sorry for the highjack guys.

Originally Posted by Kobalt
In short: Car: Yes. Nur: Yes: 1-7 of May , 18-21 of May
Old 04-18-2016 | 06:04 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Alright, I'm down to try a VBOX Sport. The Dual XGPS160 has really never worked properly with my phone.

Will the magnetic antenna stick to the roof of the GT3?
Old 04-18-2016 | 06:53 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Yes, if steel that is. Not Rs roof then. Good luck. See my thread if problems, i coverd most of this way back.
Alright, I'm down to try a VBOX Sport. The Dual XGPS160 has really never worked properly with my phone.

Old 04-18-2016 | 07:25 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

This app is hot garbage.

I downloaded the update and I used it this weekend at Chuckwalla.

The first session was ok and it actually logged my entire session.

The second session it crashed and didn't save anything.

The third session, it recorded some laps, but it didn't know the correct start stop and basically thought that two laps were one lap.

I stopped using it and went back to Harry's (which also wasn't perfect), but at least it didn't lose my data.

This is such a waste and a joke.

I hate how they force everyone to create a new track, why can't they have a database like Harry's?

the reason for this is that the car gps tries to align with a road and misses going through start finish. it could also happen when you put a start finish on a map using the editor (on your phone) and the map info from goosgle is not pefect and you have start finish only on the right "lane" of the straight causing you to miss it sometimes.

marc
Old 04-18-2016 | 08:00 PM
FergusH
Pro

Yes. I've got the Racelogic antenna and it sticks very well to the roof of my GT4.

That said, I'd suggest you hold off on buying the antenna. I'm going to test the new app version, the Vbox Sport, and the antenna this week. I hope the earlier problems with the app are fixed but unlike Nur93, I'm not 100% convinced that the problems are only with the GPS. Porsche definitely fixed bugs with the app that had nothing to do with the GPS; perhaps some of those bugs are still lingering. Nur93, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you ever had a problem with the app, right?

nlpamg, the Vbox Sport is good because it can be used as a GPS feed for the Porsche app but also because it's a logging device one its own. (It records data onto an SD card.) However, the XGPS160 is good too and if it wasn't working for you, maybe there's another problem.

I'd be happy to share my results with you after my track day this Wednesday.
Old 04-18-2016 | 08:51 PM
MoeGt3
Racer

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-19-2016 | 02:34 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

I am not at all 100% its a gps thing, I kind of was thinking as it worked fine for me and I always use that extra pauck/antenna gps receiver and the vbox-sport. Well It could be worth trying.

There was a time it did not start recording For me also, and that was in sep 2015 due to Before i go to Nurburgring I did the misstake to download that(at the time new Apple softwear, dont remember wich) . Before the it was like a klock, working easy and well all on different tracks. Setting my own track, very easy working well.

Please can some One look if they got Gotland ring track as default? It must be like that when we set tracks(and the more use it on different tracks) it then is saved as other can use it as well? Or if not like that i see we can send tracks to each others, like if you dont brother set own Gotland ring i send you mine so you can use it instant.
Old 04-19-2016 | 03:56 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Originally Posted by FergusH
That said, I'd suggest you hold off on buying the antenna.
FWIW:
I've been using the VBox Sport without antenna on the Nürburgring - I have the antenna but I have not used it, yet.

It has been working fine but I use Harrys Laptimer so it might not count in this case.
Old 04-19-2016 | 05:17 AM
Leong72
Instructor

I've been persevering with this app since getting the GT4 in December having the same issues as everyone else, first using the iPhone GPS, then a vbox sport.
When the new version was released I tried it out on my "around the block" track using iPhone GPS as the vbox sport refused to connect to the phone for some reason. Everything seemed to work fine, but I lost the link to the video from the app for one session. (The "play" button greyed out)

Yesterday I received the adapter to connect my external GPS antenna to the vbox sport. Went out and did a few "around the block" sessions. Everything worked perfectly and I got the smoothest traces so could see different lines I took.

Not sure why, but everything seemed more reliable. Even the Bluetooth connection from vbox sport to iPhone seemed more stable - I did have it closer to the phone than before (in the glovebox). If it works like this at my next trackday on April 25 (first since the new version) I'll be ecstatic!!

Quick Reply: Any *good* experience with Track Precision app?