Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I decided to use the front impact bar as well. I am not racing so reducing weight is important but I don't like the idea of shedding too much weight up front.
FVD sells carbon-Kevlar versions of the front and rear impact bars. Pricey at over $1000 each though.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...arbon_964.html

I am loving this build. You need to keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell, I think I need this car!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 PM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Great thread.....
Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,

Do you think your scissor lift is adequate for this project? I've been thinking a lift for next year lately...
Old 11-18-2014, 03:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
Tony,

Do you think your scissor lift is adequate for this project? I've been thinking a lift for next year lately...
I spent up for this one. It is a Bendpak SP-7X. It is IMO the perfect DIY lift. I had it recessed into the garage floor when I built the garage. It sits flush with the floor so I can drive over it; park on top of it or use it as needed. Unlike 4 or 2 post lifts it is only in the way when I have a car on it.

It is rated at 7000 pounds. I had my Chevy Avalanche and Cayenne on it without issue. I can't tell you how many different Porsche's have been on this lift helping out friends with projects. The Ford Raptor might be pushing though but there is very little need to lift that off the ground other than changing brakes. It has crazy ground clearance.

I was able to drop the engine and tranny in one piece from the C4 by myself without a problem. Ironically the one thing it has a problem with is 964 oil changes. I had to make an apparatus to funnel the used oil away from the side since the lift pads sit directly underneath the oil drain plug and right next to the jack points.

One issue is I have a tendency to litter all my tools along the pad which at times comes in handy and my ceiling is only 115" so I can get the 911's 55" or so off the ground which is adequate but wish I could have had more ceiling height. Wasn't an option though. This unit will extend to a full 84" which is all anyone would need and is more stable than any other lift I have used.

I did make extra large blocks to rest the car on out of 4 x 5 lumber which helps access those parts otherwise I give this unit a 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default More differences between the 90 and later 964's.

So the more I get into putting this thing back together the more I am amazed at the differences between the 89-90 and 91-94 build.

For starters does anyone know why there is a bolt that threads into the hole above the outboard mounting point where the rear trailing arm bolts into? I can see no reason for it to exist and I noticed both my turbo and C2 have a plastic plug there instead.

I removed the rockers from my 93 C2 yesterday and low and behold the indents for the rocker panel covers are the same size as the turbo although the 93 C2 uses the smaller clips. So I assume the rockers for the C2 were never updated to accept the larger clips but the tub was. This would be one more reason to source a 91-94 to do a widebody build on.

Next point of frustration. Locks!!!

Apparently the mechanisms for the engine lid and doors changed in 1991. The rear is old style spring design and 91 started with the more secure latch type. Not an issue since I will be using posts and clips to hold it in place don't plan on trusting the latch to keep a fiberglass wing in place.

I know it is a track car and it doesn't need locks but I like to transport stuff in the car when I travel. Helmets, hans etc not to mention Data acquisition removable steering wheel and other expensive parts that could easily be heisted while I am grabbing some lunch in some no name town off the highway. Hat e to have some joker stroll by and just open the door and walk off with stuff.

So I always lock my doors when I travel. If they want to break in there is no stopping that but why make it easy.

What I found out is the 89-90 MY 964 has only one tang on the door lock vs the two on the 91-94 this allows you to unlock the car from the outside but requires the battery operated solenoid to lock it only. I guess they realized the mistake and made changes in 91 so that the key will do both lock and unlock the car.

So it looks like I will either need to source some door latch mechanisms from a 91-94 or make some modifications. If anyone has at least one door lock mechanism from the later years they want to sell cheap let me know otherwise I will need to make and weld or rivet another tang onto the mechanism to allow me to lock the car in transit.

Still waiting on all the hardware to return, I sent everything out to be yellow cad plated but it is taking much longer than I was told. I didn't want to reuse the old hardware in its condition and having it refinished is far cheaper than buying new factory hardware.

happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:08 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,

I think I will pass on the rennspeed gt2 lip. I've talked to the seller. it came off a narrow body car. It wont look right with my car. my car doesn't have big wing . figure if you want to take it. i will let the seller know.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyinTomato
Tony,

I think I will pass on the rennspeed gt2 lip. I've talked to the seller. it came off a narrow body car. It wont look right with my car. my car doesn't have big wing . figure if you want to take it. i will let the seller know.
I hear ya.

It looks great on these cars with the Bi wing. If you are looking for that look I have three bi-wings looking to get rid of at least one. I can make you a seriously good offer on one but it will need some work.

I am still planning on using the stock RS/turbo S splitters on my build.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Anthony,

This an absolutely amazing build so don't get depressed when I say I don't want it to end, ever

Cheers,
Paul
Old 11-26-2014, 09:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Hi Anthony,

This an absolutely amazing build so don't get depressed when I say I don't want it to end, ever

Cheers,
Paul
Thanks

I get frustrated by the road blocks sometimes but I have a tendency to overreact. There is always a solution which just drives me to push harder. Made some strides today while the snow fell.

The project keeps growing and I have made some interesting changes to the original plan which will be unveiled as I get them completed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all
Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

For starters does anyone know why there is a bolt that threads into the hole above the outboard mounting point where the rear trailing arm bolts into? I can see no reason for it to exist and I noticed both my turbo and C2 have a plastic plug there instead.
I have always wondered about the purpose of that plug too.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I found out is the 89-90 MY 964 has only one tang on the door lock vs the two on the 91-94 this allows you to unlock the car from the outside but requires the battery operated solenoid to lock it only.
Mine's a 90 and I can lock or unlock it from both the outside driver and passenger doors. So hopefully you only need to make a simple repair, rather than source a door latch mechanisms from a 91-94.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mixter
Mine's a 90 and I can lock or unlock it from both the outside driver and passenger doors. So hopefully you only need to make a simple repair, rather than source a door latch mechanisms from a 91-94.
Interesting. Mine was a mid production build number 00969 so they must have made the change sometime after or I got an oddball. The PET and manuals show it as having the two posts to work with mine has only one I will take pictures to document. I should be able to make a piece to make it work. Low on my list of things to do. I plan on having the interior areas roll cage that got damaged from welding and grinding in the roof painted and then my wife wants to alcantara headliner installed (she is helping with this PITA job if she wants it) Once that is done things should start moving quickly with the interior. Make sure all the electrics work install the gauges, lights all work etc. Than it is suspension and engine work. Might have this done ahead of schedule and the other stuff can be done as fill in.

At least I can lock the door manually by reaching inside the door and then close it for now but the option of using a key is nicer.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was a mid production build number 00969 so they must have made the change sometime after or I got an oddball.
Mine was after the mid production for 90, built on March 19, so yet again, might have been another little P-factory change.

Good luck with the headliner.....and it's a good thing when we can get our wives to take an interest in our projects.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Saint-Vieux
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos to your wife re alcantara headliner...
Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Made some progress this weekend.

Even after my triptophan coma I was able to get some work done.

Alcantara headliner installed. Took 7 hours trying to work around the roll cage and other bits out of a single piece of material. If I had to do it over I would probably pass. Looks good covers up the welded in panel and added 3 pounds to the car. Now that that part is done I can start to make some progress. Installed the dash and gauges and a few other small parts. This weeks projects will include the install of the rebuilt pedal cluster and some dash work. The Led flood light makes it look a bit rougher than it is.

Hopefully will have most of the interior done soon. RS carpet will have to wait. I need to install the harnesses and a few other parts first. I plan on working on custom door cards with openings to allow access to the poly window soon but can wait depending on what else needs to be done first. The C2 bumper should be done so that may take precedence over the track build.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: My long overdue 964 widebody track car build thread (long)