Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 02:47 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Name: Micah Jones

Hobbies: Spending time with Les, flying, lifting

How I learned about Rennlist: Found the link to the e-mail forum from Bill Underwood's site 7 years ago.

Porsche Genesis: Was going to buy a 73 'Cuda until I rolled the family van in High School. Put all the money I had saved up into repairing it (which never happened...) and had to start over. Missed out on the 'Cuda, found an 83 944 in a barn a few miles from the house. Bought it for $3200 and put over 100k on her.

Until last year (when we bought the Jetta) the only vehicles I had ever owned/driven were 944s.

Micah
Old 07-23-2004, 03:19 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name: Alen Kazarian

Hobbies: Working on car, poker

Porsche Genesis: Saw the 928 in Risky Business and Scarface.. Saw a 944 on the street and fell in love.. Not a big fan of the new 911's though, just the classics.. Love the 356, 914's, 924's 944's, and 928's..

How i heard about Rennlist: After hours and hours of searching 944 information after buying mine, somehow i got linked here... BEEST LINK EVER...
Old 07-23-2004, 04:52 AM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocking how many young people have got 944's on student budgets/parents budget for student =P

Name: Chris Riha

Occupation: 1st year law student at Case Western Reserve in about a month. (road trip to ohio fro SoCal should be fun in the S2)

Hobbies: Video Games, Drinking, Everything else mechanical that makes you go fast (developing a motorcycle longing but no money for both the S2 and a crotch rocket), and Ultimate Frisbee (yes it is a sport and played competetively)

Porsches: Was driving an '89 Volvo 740GL with a whopping 114 Hp in a 3300lb frame. Was a great car, but just not what I wanted out of a car while young. Ended up doing a lot of research on what was out there, went through some phases where I wanted to get an old mustang or something, but finally decided that there were just too damn many of them on the road. Decided I wanted a few things out of a car, they were that it was a German tourning car with rear wheel drive and a manual tranny. I pretty much narrowed my search down to an E36 BMW 325 or a 944. Looked around for a 944 in good condition and stumbled across the S2. The car was a lot more than what we were initially looking to pay for a car, but we decided that it was a very nice example and we would pay extra for that. So thats how I ended up with the S2.

Rennlist: I found the 944 FAQ online and used that to convince my dad that I had done my research and that a 944 was a really good car for the money. My car is now faster than his and everytime he drives it he kinda wants a car with a manual again (He's got a base model Mitsu 3000GT that he bought while trying to figure out what sort of car he really wants). I will be kinda put to shame when he ends up buying the C1 corvette that he is currently in the market for.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:11 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Name: Sami Asujamaa

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: not much - hanging out with friends and stuff related to that.

Porsche Genesis: I was looking for my first car, and a friend pointed out one 924 for sale.. that particular car was in really bad shape, but it sparked the interest, and few month later I was the happy owner of one cool 944S. That car served me well for three years.. until it was totalled it in an unlucky accident. This didn't turn out too bad, as it enabled me to get that 951, which I've now been driving for around one and a half years.

How I found Out About Rennlist:can't remember really. When I was new to the 944S, I subscribed to the e-mail lists for a while... then forgot about it, and came back later to discover these forums ... and I'm glad I did, this had been a truly invaluable source of information! I'll never be able to contribute as much as I've received, but whatever little I can, I'll do...

Oh yeah, here's the car.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:07 AM
rihaa
Racer

That is an absolutely gorgeous 951 you got there.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:21 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name. Anders Hansson

When I was 2½ years old I got a ride in a 924 by a friend of the family. Then 17 years later a good friend and I went for a drive in his parents 944 N/A and something strange happened - I felt right at home.

I liked the Rennlist Forums from the start and signed up a couple of months after having bought my first 944 that I wrecked in a black ice incident.. After that I've had a few 944's and a 928GT. Now I have a 944 turbo Cup and a 944 N/A in the stable..

Don't really have any other hobbies than Porsches and I would like to make a living out of the hobby somehow. Have visited the Nürburgring once and plan on going back soon, that place in a Porsche isn't better than sex but more exciting and nervewrecking - adrenalin for a week after a fast lap.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:25 AM
kyle robert moore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kyle moore

age 27

location hawaii

Occupation Us Military

Non porsche hobbies, guns, more guns, yet more guns,shooting, hunting fishing, biking, sports athletics, and surfing **** on the internet (atleast im honest!!)

the porsche story....age 16 i borrow my brothers 82 924 to take a girl to the prom inhis car drives like a go-cart, has no a/c but handles curves like a dream. a year and half later i am working in nj when a super shiny 1979 944 is for sale. $1200.00. i give the guy the last of my gas money as a down payment and return two days later with cash in hand as promised to buy the car. turns out my 944/924/931/??? was three tone. super shiny red on the outside with brown under the back carpet and white under the front carpet. for about 2 years i had my shiny red 944 look alike that was really fun to drive. i lost it in a fire as i was trying to wire in a universal windshield washer pump. something under the dash caught fire and poof my baby was rolling balck smoke. i sold her to my mech for like 200 dollars and he got bored one winter and decied to rewire it and sell it for something to do. his bread winning is in real estate and his wife pull down some loot too so he PLAYS in porsches to pass his time. i later bought my brothers 924 in hopes of fixing a blown headgasket and driving it. well that weekend project was one that was never finished and i later sold that car to my mech who brought it back to life for something to do. FFWD to feb 1999 when i drive from va beach to wisconsin to pick up my red 911 targa and drive her home in the snow and cold. (with no heat) she sat in my garage a few weeks until my wife gave me permission to get it our and get it ready for summer. it was my mech in va beach at eurosport that told me about rennlist. i was asking about things to do to my 911 and how tos and things new owners do. 8 months later i was in need of a car here in hawaii and waiting for the 911 to be shipped over. i was biking (yes riding my bike) to car lots and i came across a decent 87 924s that was sold. the guy ahd put moeny down on it but had not called or returned ina few days so i offered $100 more than the selling price and drove off. $2277.00 later (tax and rear brake pads) i was happy as a pig in .....well you get the point.

i was home last sept and my old shiny red 924/944/931/???? was still being driver. the mech had made a fortune on that car as he had sold and re-sold and re-sold the car about 4 times. each time $3995 and she was a gonner in less than a week!! it was a great stepping stone for alot of people. he actually stumbled on the story of how the car came to be. a wrench in nj had pieced it together on a dime in his spare time and with parts from the shop. we had always thought it was stolen, but it was just pices of parted out cars assembled together nicely and painted all nice and purdy.

currently my 911 is in for resto and when that nightmare ends, i plan on putting my 924s up on blocks and doing soem work on it. it will be a learning paltform and i plan to invest labor not much materials into her resto. luckily i have place on base i can do the work and help from teh guy painting the 911 to show me how to spray it. until then teh 924s has been old faithful and is due again for some new slow downers!!

kyle
Old 07-23-2004, 08:27 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Name: Karl Wilen
Occupation: 3rd year Chiropractic student, (Graduate in december thank god)
Hobbies: Girlfreind, the car, girlfreind, the car, hunting, fishing, yada yada yada
Porsche Genesis: Uh....i dont know what that means really, but i saved the car from dying a slow death with a PO. It spends a lot of time on the operating table....err stands.
Rennlist: People like sh944 puts out a good word.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

rockfan4-

you are my hero.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:01 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Name: Pete Laches
Occupation: Naval Officer (18 years in, thinking of making it a career)
Hobbies: Porsche, Golf, Thinking
Porsche Genesis: Wanted a 944 since I was commissioned in 86. Finally got one when I was promoted to LCDR in 97.
Rennlist: Found Porschelist shortly after getting my car, been here ever since.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Name: Conor Griffin
Occupation: Student (electrical engineering), working in Marketing for the summer

I just kinda decided one day that I really waned a 944/24, so I saved my money all summer and got one. That car is curretnly sitting in my yard with a blown engine, but I've sold it to my friend and were gonna rebuild it. I have an Audi 90 now, but I'm hoping to have another P-car within the next year.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:14 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

name: Dan Jauch

non- porsche related hobbies- ??????????? i do paint/body/mechanical work on the side to help out my friends and custom paintjobs on cars and motorcycles for car money when i need it. I used to race bmx and mountain bikes, but now i race autox on the weekends for fun.

porsche genesis- my father/grandfather used to race dune buggies and build beefed up vw motors to run them. Eventually they started building karman ghias and such before my dad turned into a pontiac guy. The third word i knew as a baby- volkswagon! Nine-44- my best friend since third grade- bought a 44 and after working on the black beast project for a year, i decided i needed to have one. He directed me to rennlist and i was registered before i bought my 89.
Then i bought a 924 for the gf, which soon turned into a big project, then traded my 89 for a 924s and a 914 which is my new toy. I have been racing the 924s but im thinking of giving it to the g/f since we sold the 82. Now im trying to turn her into a vw/porsche nut too!

Last edited by xsboost90; 11-04-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Name: Matt Harrison

Occupation: Manager, Sales Forecast and Store Supply - I manage inventories and plan new products.

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Who knows, between work and cars, I dont have a lot of time. Kind of a car nut, have too many projects

Porsche Genesis: Was living in England when I graduated High School. Saw a 944 one day and decided I was buying one. Bought my first when I was 17, an 85.5 in Guards Red, I have since had many. Currently a 951 project that has taken too much time and money (do the mods never stop??), planned about 400 RWHP or so. Mostly done....if the other cars would stop adding up.

How I found Out About Rennlist: spent a lot of time on the internet in college. Came across Porschefiles, which became Porschelist (which some unnamed company tried to sue over, bastards), which became rennlist. I took a break for a few years, did a lot of Rotary tuning and came back.

ETC: I bleed Baylor U green and Gold.....some of you will have a good time razzing me during college football season (and a few during baseball season!)!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Name: Devon Michael Yablonski

Occupation: Patient sitting at a hospital (every once in a while).. Ebay - mostly selling Range Rover parts. Soon to be student at URI!!

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Hmm lots. I am a computer enthusiast, I build them, fix them, own them, etc... I play basketball. Working on cars. Range Rovers. Dirtbikes. Bowling, music and concerts, hanging out with friends, same old.

Porsche Genesis: Always wanted a 911 since I was as young as I can remember. Saved up from then till last year thinking i'd get like a 5,000 dollar 911 summer before college, but I decided that wouldn't be the brightest idea. Bought my 944 while watching ebay for one near me under 3k and jumped on the first one that looked good. It was from Pennsylvania but the guy drove it 7 hours to bring it to me!! That was in November of 2003, so I got a porsche earlier than I expected!!

How I found Out About Rennlist: Just searched for porsche mailing lists...

SAMI!!! - How come I never see you posting pics of your car?! That's up in the ranks of pete's and tifo's!! (of course,,, yours is a real turbo, which is better. )
Old 07-23-2004, 09:35 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Name: Judd Campbell

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: German Cars in General, Military Firearms, Travel, and Snowboarding (I have only gone 3 times in the last 3 years .....directly related to porsche ownership time)
Porsche Genesis: My father saw a 83 944 for sale that was beat up and said he had a dream about buying it for me. I test drove it and it had blue exhaust smoke, thrashed interior, and bad paint, 3k and I still wanted it. I took the next 3 months researching cars and bought one off of ebay out of Chicago. 15k later and it is almost where I want it. (arent they all?) I bought and sold / parted 4 more 944's over the last 2 years.

How I found Out About Rennlist: First week with the porsche, When I signed up with the PCA the Membership chair told me about it. I have been hooked ever since!
Attached Images  

Last edited by judd944; 07-23-2004 at 01:23 PM. Reason: pic included!

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!