Notices

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 07:39 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Added the following to the top-post...

East Bay
Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 03-18-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:38 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Ah, that's why the GTS is a bit beaten up!!

If a drive on Sunday the 22d works, we can probably get more folk out. We could do Skyline, or Mt Hamilton, or Hwy 25 out of Hollister. These are not Marin way (north), but maybe that leaves that for Monday!!
If anyone is doing Marin on the 23rd, please let me know... I need to stop by this forum more (spend all my time in the 996 forum).
Old 03-23-2020, 03:15 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Added the following to the top-post...

="3"%East Bay
Karl.
I drive Marsh Creek road between Brentwood and Clayton regularly and, if there isn't a slow poke in front of you, it can be a fun road to drive.

However, I would discourage anyone from driving Morgan Territory Road which I've even bailed out on while riding a motorcycle.

Just too narrow and twisty for any 4wheeled vehicle (including my MR2); not enough "road" to really let any sports car get up to speed and a generally poor road surface (at least the last time I drove it which was admittedly a long time ago). It's the road that got washed out a couple of years ago preventing locals from getting to Livermore; just like Hwy 1 just to closed due to mudslides between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay before they built the tunnel.

If you're looking for that kind of drive Mines Road from Livermore to SJ is much better IMO.

Last edited by sgt1372; 03-26-2020 at 04:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Boxsterjbc (03-26-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 06:21 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Tweaked the summary in the top post as follows...

East Bay
Karl.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

RugbyBro just drove Morgan Territory Rd again and agrees with sgt1372 that it's simply too tight and narrow for a spirited drive in a car.

So I've moved it into the following category in the East Bay section.
Karl.
Boxsterjbc (03-26-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 02:38 AM
Jartin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While this may be too far from the bay area for this thread, I believe it fits best here. I just moved to Yuba County a few months ago and have been scouting good driving roads for the 911 I'm looking to pick up in the next few months.

Pleasant Valley Road and Marysville Road:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.2...m1!3e0!5m1!1e1 (~69 miles)

Mooney Flat Road is optional, since it is quite narrow and some of the asphalt quality is poor. Also, a stretch of Pleasant Valley Road has a poor surface north of the South Yuba River State Park.

Overall this is a good way to spend a couple hours since the roads have everything from long straights to hairpin corners.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:17 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jartin
While this may be too far from the bay area for this thread...

There is a section for points further away from the Bay Area. Have added your recommendation (and another) as follows.

East Bay
Points further away from the SF Bay Area
  • North

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:03 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Was just on what's listed as Tesla Road in the East Bay section on 1st page, which I think would be better identified as the Tesla/Corral Hollow Road, the other day.

Haven't been on this road for awhile and was surprised to find that the county had installed "humps" (speed bumps w/flat spots on top) in the roadway for about the 1st 5 miles (east of Greenville Road) in order to slow traffic in this more commercial/residential portion of the road. With the soft suspension on my MB, I could probably take these humps at 55-65 but in my MR2 (which I was driving at the time) I found it best to slow down to around 45 before hitting the hump; the same would probably be the case for my 911 and 335i.

After the last hump, the middle twisty section of the road is not far and it's still as fun as it always was before it transitions into the last section (which is where it apparently is called Corral Hollow) w/a few moderate turns and mod/long straight a-ways leading to Hwy 5, where you can really push your car.

I usually continue up Corral Hollow thru Tracy and then head back "home" via Tracy Blvd or Byron Road but for some reason, Corral Hollow just east of I-5 was closed and I had to double back to I-5 to take Mt. House to Bryon Road to get back home instead. The closure was probably temporary (most likely due to construction) but, if you are headed that way any time soon and want to drive into Tracy, just be aware that a detour may be required.

Last edited by sgt1372; 04-07-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:07 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgt1372
Was just on what's listed as Tesla Road in the East Bay section...
Thanks, duly noted in the top-post.

Karl.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:02 AM
propchef
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Great thread. There are some great drives here.

Just a note of caution if you're headed towards the North Bay/Wine Country during the COVID shutdown. PG&E is taking advantage of lower traffic and has crews out cutting trees away from the lines. Several times I've been caught on one drive! 128 through Knights Valley (near Calistoga), Petrified Forest Rd and Porter Creek Rd., and the Mark West area. Similar work is going on around Lake Sonoma. The work closes one lane and I've waited for 20+ minutes to get through.

BTW, the drive from Lake Sonoma to the coast using Skaggs Springs Road is a blast but a well-known area for "fun runs" so is sometimes under scrutiny.

Geysers Rd is a great hillclimb and you're rewarded with great views of the Alexander Valley from the high point. Be aware this road can be rough, unpaved, or on fire at any given time.
RobPosha (04-27-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 03:29 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As regards adding recommended roads to the top post for those not very familiar with the area (like myself)...

Originally Posted by propchef
128 through Knights Valley (near Calistoga), Petrified Forest Rd and Porter Creek Rd., and the Mark West area.
Would be starting in Geyserville, down 128, then right on Petrified Forest Rd, over to Mark West and stop there? Or some variant of that?

Sharing a Google Map link is the best way to describe the route

...the drive from Lake Sonoma to the coast using Skaggs Springs Road is a blast
Does this capture it?

https://goo.gl/maps/TigZHm2J7wR4oZa5A

Geysers Rd is a great hillclimb and you're rewarded with great views of the Alexander Valley from the high point
Is there a specific start/end point you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:34 PM
sgt1372
Pro

As regards adding recommended roads to the top post for those not very familiar with the area (like myself)...

Would be starting in Geyserville, down 128, then right on Petrified Forest Rd, over to Mark West and stop there? Or some variant of that?

Sharing a Google Map link is the best way to describe the route

Does this capture it?

https://goo.gl/maps/TigZHm2J7wR4oZa5A

Is there a specific start/end point you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Karl.
Without taking into consideration road closures and road conditions, I would suggest the following loop from Cloverdale south to Calistoga, west to Jenner via Guerneville, north to Stewarts Point and then back to Cloverdale:

https://goo.gl/maps/xVkjU2WkR9FTCPGH6

It would be an all day drive for me w/a stop to gas up, rest and eat in/near Guerneville. If it is still open (even if just for take out), I'd suggest stopping at the Northwood Golf Course (just west of "downtown" Guerneville) to get food at the restaurant which you can eat outdoors while enjoying views of the golf course.

I am most familiar w/the section between Guerneville and Calistoga in this route, having driven it many times before, mainly from the south to north from SF to Occidental and then Guerneville, east to Calistoga, south thru Napa Valley via Silverado Trail or over Howell Mt Road to Pope Valley and then south back to Hwy via the series of back roads that I believe I've mentioned here before leading to Cordelia.

I've never driven on Skaggs Springs Road between Stewarts Point and Cloverdale but from the look of it it is similar to Comptche Ukiah/Orrs Springs road between Mendocino and Ukiah, that I have driven several times over the years, albeit probably a bit more twisty which may make it a bit less fun, because I find endless turns more tiring than fun.

Please give us a report if you decide to take this route.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:50 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Added...

North Bay
Karl.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:13 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Earlier today I finally got to drive some of the Marin roads recommended in this thread as part of a PCA GGR fun run to The Racers Group.

https://goo.gl/maps/qWAkSpSe2wS2 (~67-miles)

Starting at a Safeway in San Rafael, the first leg took us west along Lucas Valley Rd. to Nicasio Valley Rd., up to Pt. Reyes - Petaluma Rd., west again to Shoreline / Hwy-1, up to the community of Marshall. Nice roads, good surfaces, and lots of scenery. Because we left at 9:30 am we did encounter typical traffic, and there's not an insignificant amount of residential in parts along the way. But I'd imagine a crack-of-dawn run would be great.

The second leg took us inland on Marshall-Petaluma Rd. over to Chileno Valley Rd., then up to Tomales Rd. Here the road surfaces were quite a bit rougher, but not horrible. The upside was far less traffic, so the cars could be given free rein.

Tomales Rd. took us over to Petaluma where The Racers Group is located. There we met Kevin Buckler, got a shop tour & tech talk, had lunch, did a little wine tasting - a very nice way to spend a Saturday.

Karl.
100% guilty of skim reading this thread, and not seeing multiple other references to it - but I'll add to the others recommending that Marshall-Petaluma Rd. is one of those roads honestly better taken in a Macan or a Safari build - if you take it in a low/stiff e.g. GT car, you're gonna have a bad time. On a side note, I just realized the first post in this thread is kept current with all the routes AND the warnings derp. Great resource on the whole.

Last edited by ducktails; 06-21-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:34 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ducktails
...I'll add to the others recommending that Marshall-Petaluma Rd. is one of those roads honestly better taken in a Macan or a Safari build - if you take it in a low/stiff e.g. GT car, you're gonna have a bad time.
Thanks Duck.

Have added the feedback to the top post.

Karl.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?