Notices

S. CA Timing belt Party!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool S. CA Timing belt Party!

Okay guys, I need to know who and where people are interested in this, here in Southern California!

I work most weekends except the 2nd Sat. and Sunday of every month. Other than that, I am available on Fridays.

I believe someone in Costa Mesa offered to help one of th guys this past or next weekend?

We can probably handle a few cars at a time in reality, unrealist to expect us to do more than that, unless we have lots of equipment.

In my garage we are missing ramps; the roommate's ramps got toasted (my shin has a small dent from my car tossing one).

What is realistic that we can really do?

Since I've never done this, or know that many people here, the person that I'd feel comfortable heading this is Legoland951; he has the experience on both 944s and 951s, and has taken both engines apart innumerable times.

I think it would be more realist to have more than one get together to do this if it's too many people. I don't need mine done, but I can assist others.

Also, tools are needed, and on my car we used a few oddball sizes of things, ie, I believe a 24mm rachet.

Let's get organized, Dudes and Dudettes and see what we can do to help each other, hands on!

My double car garage has:

0) It's own stereo system.
1) air tank and hose; we'd have to supply the air tools.
2) space.
3) guest parking.
4) little caesers pizza across the street! Also a Pizza hut.

I'm right by the Orange Crush (57, 22 and 5 freeways), and several car part stores for emergencies.

I would say we'd need to keep it to a few, in case bad things come up (waterpump emergency, would have to get that finished the same day).

Anyone else have a place we could use, also? I'm in a Townhouse complex, so limited on work space; simple jobs could be done in guest parking, bigger ones in garage.

Let's see what we can accomplish, let's rumble!

- Julie
Old 09-23-2003, 08:31 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Julie, I like the idea. I'm down off of the 405 and Fairview Road. Just south by a couple of blocks. I was the one that found a fellow 944'rs improperly installed balance belt pulley last weekend.

As to tools; the 24 mm is for the crank nut, two 17 mm and one 15 mm open end wrenches for the AC/alternator tensioning strut and a 10 mm deep socket for the cover bolts. Think the power steering tensioning strut requires two 15 mm and one 13 mm open end wrenches but will have to check in the morning.

For those that are a bit paranoid we will have to find the belt tensioning gauge. At least one that is acceptable.

Could even have surprise party favors!

Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:41 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

I don't need belts done. but want to watch, I have the factory manuals, and can bring some hand tools and some ramps, they are the cheapo metal types with preforations...

I live in Sierra Madre/Pasadena area, right on the 210 between the 134 and the 605. If you guys are doing belts, please tell, me I'd like to watch and possibly help, will need to do that on my car eventually.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:45 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I forget now... do you need a flywheel lock for this as well? I don't have one (I think it's in my dad's basement in NY), but I think it's missing from the list.

-Kevin
Old 09-23-2003, 02:17 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Fly wheel lock = large craftsman screwdriver.

IMO you don't need one if you are only doing the belts and idlers.

Now that 24 mm nut on the end of the crank is another story!

As well as the loose nut behind the steering wheel!!!!

Old 09-23-2003, 02:19 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Fly wheel lock = large craftsman screwdriver.

As well as the loose nut behind the steering wheel!!!!

Does this mean the belt party will not include any front seal changes?
Old 09-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Fly wheel lock = large craftsman screwdriver.

As well as the loose nut behind the steering wheel!!!!"

Concerning front seals - I have to let the experts have a say on that; I didn't do any on mine, too good of compression to mess with!

Legoland951, what do you think?

I was thinking of the simple stuff, you know - balance belt, timing belt, rollers, pulley tensioner /automatic one, depending on model.

Also checking enging compression, if anyone brings the tools for that.

Flywheel lock? We didn't use one on my car, got it just fine.

So, we can have the people to watch and learn; anyone who needs it done?

- Julie
Old 09-23-2003, 02:37 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Devia
"Fly wheel lock = large craftsman screwdriver.

As well as the loose nut behind the steering wheel!!!!"

Concerning front seals - I have to let the experts have a say on that; I didn't do any on mine, too good of compression to mess with!

Legoland951, what do you think?

I was thinking of the simple stuff, you know - balance belt, timing belt, rollers, pulley tensioner /automatic one, depending on model.

Also checking enging compression, if anyone brings the tools for that.

Flywheel lock? We didn't use one on my car, got it just fine.

So, we can have the people to watch and learn; anyone who needs it done?

- Julie
Julie,

I don't think you really need the flywheel lock unless you are taking off the crankshaft pulley, and that would be for the seal change.

In the case of my car, the most urgent need is a valve cover gasket change, which would involve some of the same work as the timing belt change. If I had the fuel rail off, I might be tempted to send out the 4 spare fuel injectors I had for a rebuild (get them cleaned and flow tested, change the o-rings, etc.) and put them in at the same time.

I had belts/rollers/front seals/water pump done ~20,000 miles ago - I need to check my records tonight.

-Kevin
Old 09-23-2003, 02:53 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Anything behind the rear plastic belt cover would add many hours to each car. True this would be a great learning experiance and there could be many slices of pizza and bottles of (your favorite adult beverage inserted here>>)!!! So I would go for just a belt inspection, change or retension. Then set up another week end for seals.

The one tool that I would get for your cam cover gasket replacement is a 6mm allen bit holder that has a set screw to hold in the allen wrench bit. You will need to buy a hardened long reach 6 mm allen and cut it down to fit the holder so that it just reaches the bolts inside the cam galley. I think mine is a craftsman. Sears is just two miles away -- walking/biking distance -- if I brake it.

The socket head bolt (allen) under the dist rotor is a PITA too.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Julie you know that i am down... if you need any help organizing let me know via PM... i would totally be willing to drive up to have this done... I dont' know how to do it, but i am totally willing to try and learn... what materials would i need to bring? The belts obviously.... is it any different on an S??? But yeah, i am totally down... let me knwo when and where!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:54 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

P.S. I have a compression gauge.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:58 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Jonas,

Besides the belts you should also get the valve cover gasket set and the plastic pressure pad for the cam chain. Depening on the mileage the cam chain too.

If you really want to be through then you should also get one each of the tensioner pulleys for the belts.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:59 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

OK Julie where did you get the image for your avatar?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

hey, where is the best place to get all of that stuff?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:33 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Here in Costa Mesa I use Mesa Performance. Father and two sons parts outlet primarily for the BMW's.

They have perisables; belts, plugs, filters, wiper blades, on the shelf and can order most anything else. Typical wait on ordered parts is a day. Sometimes only hours.

I would shop this site sponsers first. If the order is from out of state what you save on a discount and taxes is more than the shipping.

Quick Reply: S. CA Timing belt Party!