Notices

Good twisty roads near Rancho Cucamonga, CA?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Good twisty roads near Rancho Cucamonga, CA?

I'm new to the area and can't seem to find any scenic twisty roads nearby. I just ordered a couple of books today from Amazon but was wondering if anyone in the area can recommend any roads.

I'm from MA where I could find twisty roads 5 minutes from my house. All the roads nearby (that I have found) are straight as an arrow and littered with traffic lights.

Thanks in advance!
Charlie
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 AM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been over 25 years since I was in school in Claremont, but when I was there, I would head up to the Mt. Baldy Ski Area for a "quick" get-away. Not seriously twisty, but some nice turns and the roads were pretty open back then. It's a little west of you, but not too far. Also can skirt along up in the San Gabriels to the west of Baldy - don't know the name of any of those roads, but you should be able to find them on a map....
Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM
5:04
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMR, if you'd like to go for a drive some time PM me. I live in Upland right off of Mountain road which takes you to through GRR to GMR. 3 roads that are fun with just about any corner you'd want and can be driven in under an hour.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 AM
jwalz
Rennlist Member

Charlie, I live in San Dimas, so if you want to take a drive, let me know...I've been up to Arrowhead, Big Bear, and Mt. Baldy...there are some curves but some are pretty dangerous with nothing on one side! Naturally, PCH near Monterrey is a great stretch...
Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwalz
Charlie, I live in San Dimas, so if you want to take a drive, let me know...I've been up to Arrowhead, Big Bear, and Mt. Baldy...there are some curves but some are pretty dangerous with nothing on one side! Naturally, PCH near Monterrey is a great stretch...
I went over Mt. Baldy (at least part of it) and yes, pretty dangerous at times. My feeling was it was great scenery but if you looked at the scenery, you'd become part of it!

I really like country type roads, scenic with some nice curves, not dangerous. In other words, not arrow straights and no traffic lights. I found some in the Temecula area but ideally, I'd like some a little closer for the occasional impromptu drive.

I'd definitely be interested in a drive. I'm back in MA for 2 weeks (for Christmas) but will be back before New Years. I'm PM you with my email.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie, if you're interested in a drive with allot of Porsche's, then check out this link for a New Years Day drive;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...al-2011-a.html
Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
Charlie, if you're interested in a drive with allot of Porsche's, then check out this link for a New Years Day drive;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...al-2011-a.html
That sounds like fun but I promised my wife we'd see the Rose Parade. Gotta keep her happy too!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie C
That sounds like fun but I promised my wife we'd see the Rose Parade. Gotta keep her happy too!
I understand. I'm happily married for 25 years. My solution is to put her in the front seat as my navigator.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

I wish I knew there were so many of you guys nearby!

My favorite road out here is Rim of the World, it's CA-18 the route you'd take to get to Lake Arrowhead and eventually Bigbear. There are several offshoot roads along the way to various mountain communities that are all very curvy, well-maintained and have beautiful scenery. Be careful though as it does get snowy sometimes!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM
jwalz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I wish I knew there were so many of you guys nearby!

My favorite road out here is Rim of the World, it's CA-18 the route you'd take to get to Lake Arrowhead and eventually Bigbear. There are several offshoot roads along the way to various mountain communities that are all very curvy, well-maintained and have beautiful scenery. Be careful though as it does get snowy sometimes!
It is a great road to drive but you can't afford to make a mistake on the way up! It's a long way down, if you do!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Winston711
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out www.lateralg.org. Heard about this yesterday in another blog. Haven't checked it out yet, but plan to...good luck.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Winston711
Check out www.lateralg.org. Heard about this yesterday in another blog. Haven't checked it out yet, but plan to...good luck.
Thanks! Definitely an interesting site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good twisty roads near Rancho Cucamonga, CA?