Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

2005 Boxster S w/unique color combination

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:24 PM
carlshome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Boxster S w/unique color combination

Year: 2005
Make: Porsche
Model: Boxster
Cont. Porsche Models: Boxster S
Mileage (numbers only please): 48500
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Traction Control
Color: Seal Grey
VIN: WP0CB29845U731459
Price (no $ sign please): $22900
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorCal
Body Style: Cabriolet
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

Boxster S with a unique*color combination of Seal Grey Metallic,*Cocoa top,*Special Cocoa Leather Interior, the Makassar Wood Package and*19" Carrera S Wheels, makes this a*stunning*Porsche. Fully loaded with Six-Speed Manual,*Sport Chrono Package, Bose Surround Sound System, Power Seat Package, Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package, Self-Dim Mirrors, Rain Sensor for*wipers, heated seats, wind stop and more.*All service records since new. Always garaged, no smoking, no pets, no track time, California car that has never seen snow. Includes car cover, original window sticker and "Boxster" and "S" emblems from Porsche for the rear of the car.

Go to this website for 50+ pictures and a complete description:
http://carlshome.wix.com/boxster
Attached Images           
Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Really nice, unique color combo! I'm interested. I've been trying to stay away from 05s because of IMS blah blah blah. Has it been addressed? Is it on the original clutch? What can you add regarding any major maintenance that it's had?

Great website BTW.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:12 PM
carlshome
Rennlist Member

Scott,

I haven't done anything with IMS. However I've read that keeping the RPM up and regular service is key. So I always keep the RPM at 2,500 or higher and service as prescribed by Porsche. All service records since new are in hand. Last major service was at 40,000 miles for $1,690. Included oil, brake fluid flush, air filter, pollen filter, plugs, etc. Clutch is original. I drive it easy.

Selling because I just took delivery of a Tesla Model X.

Carl
Old 03-24-2016, 01:09 AM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. As much as I like the package, I think I'll have to hold out for an 05 with the IMS upgrade performed or an 06+.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 PM
carlshome
Rennlist Member

Default 05 Boxster S IMS

Scott,

This exchange reminded me that I was once told that ’05 Boxster “S” models got the upgraded IMS which appeared in all ’06 models. Attached is a photo of the engine number: M96/2662504409. Of the last eight digits 62504409, the first digit "6" = 6 cylinders; second digit "2" = engine version; third digit "5" = model year, remaining digits are the engine sequence.

Is there a way to determine if a "S" model with a version 2 engine has the last IMS design?

Lastly, when under the car taking this picture, it was dry as a bone under there.

Any idea if I'm right about the IMS?

Carl
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Carl, I recall seeing at least a few M96 engines on eBay in your year and engine number range. Both did not have serviceable bearings as they had the larger 22mm nut. Unless you remove the transmission to see what you have, my guess is it could be either a serviceable bearing or a nonserviceable, the latter which would require taking case apart. Question for folks reading this: Are the nonserviceable bearings more reliable (fewer documented failures) than the serviceable bearing?

Thanks. Tom.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Scott2.0
Advanced

It's my understanding that all 05s and even some early 06s had the old (serviceable) bearing. Hopefully someone else can chime in that has more knowledge on this.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:08 PM
windracer
Track Day

Default IMS problem

Beautiful Boxster, but I am also am looking for a Boxster with IMS refit.
GLWS.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:25 PM
carlshome
Rennlist Member

So what does a IMS retrofit cost? Should I just lower the price to cover the expense?
Old 03-29-2016, 04:50 PM
sequel95
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Carl, your car was built right at time Porsche was moving to the larger, non-serviceable bearing. I saw an engine on eBay (31347) with a smaller, serviceable bearing. I also saw one with the larger bearing (31442). Your VIN is right in that range and could have either. The only way to know is to drop transmission to see. If car needs a clutch, now is the time. If it were me selling/buying the car, I would want to know which bearing it has. Total cost would be about $3500 for new clutch and new IMS bearing from LNE. Good luck. There is a nice 2006 sitting here in Brookfield WI that is not selling probably due to the concern over IMS and our weather. It is selling for $22900.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Curiosity got to me and I just called a local shop here in Scottsdale. I was quoted $3,500 for the LN IMS retrofit, parts and labor. That does not include the clutch and flywheel although it may make sense to also do that while in there. Admittedly, that price seems high and it may be able to be taken care of for less.

Interestingly, he told me that if the engine is stamped with M96, that it is the older, serviceable bearing. I'm not sure if that's completely accurate or not.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:44 PM
carlshome
Rennlist Member

sequel95,

Given your engine number observations, and with my engine number ending in 04409, being 27,000 units earlier, implies I have the earlier serviceable IMS.

All that said, maybe I should lower the price by $2,900. Anyone interested is a nice Boxster S for $20,000?

Carl
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl,
having been through this once, my advice is get it done or lower the price until someone takes the risk. The real issue is nobody knows if any damage has already been done. As others said, they only way to know is to look. Unfortunately, you will be pissed when you see the bearing is like a 20 buck item, but it can cause a 17K repair...and costs 3,500 to repair....If you are original owner, and you are close to 50K miles, maybe jut do the clutch now and IMS and get it over with. GLWS. It's a great looking car.

Quick Reply: 2005 Boxster S w/unique color combination