Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

2008 911 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Year: 2008
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: GT2
Mileage (numbers only please): 35612
Color: Meteor Grey Metallic
VIN: WP0AD29978S796297
Price (no $ sign please): $129991
Private or Dealer Listing: Dealer Listing
Location (Region): Texas
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

Originally Posted by pirahna
I wonder if it is possible to get a Fidelity or similar warranty on a car like this?
Yes, both fidelity and preferred will do it via the dealer.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Range one is still the rev limiter regardless of what RPM that is...I'm in the camp of people who don't mind range 1's at all. However, Range 2 and above all represent mechanical over-revs no matter what the car which shouldn't be able to be achieved by just running the car to redline. Only exception I've seen in turbos is cars flashed with higher rev limiter which is why I'm curious if this car is or was flashed.
Correct, all flashed cars with raised RL will exhibit wildly exaggerated type 1-2s.
996 type 1-2 do not correlate with 997 values. 996 type 1 is like a mix of 997 type 1-2 and type 2 a mix of 997 3-4s.
Btw, 7900 rpm is nothing for these engines, my old small block chevy with hydrolic lifters bounced off 8200 all the time.
C
Old 12-23-2015, 12:31 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this car not selling because of the accident history? Or because it isn't a GT3 / GT3 RS?
Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To clear up some misinformation on the GT2, you can easily and all day long, get range 1-3 from a simple rev limiter bounce with stock ECU. Some have even claimed a brief range 4 from stock RL but I have not experienced anything above a 3 on my car. The thresholds are obviously different between a GT2 and GT3/RS. Most accidental RL bounces will happen in 1st or 2nd (particularly when you are first learning to drive the beast). I say accidental because I never "try" to bounce it. For those who like to bang the RL with every shift, range 1-3's will be super high (like this car). 1's-3's (and even a few 4's) should be no cause for concern from an engine standpoint.

Not taking a position on this car one way or the other. Just wanted to clear up misconceptions about range 1-3 on GT2's.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:08 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I have been in communication with John about purchasing this beast...could happen if its still around next week. Its a bargain IMHO.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Reid55
Racer

My thoughts.

- PPI.
- Have them check motor out related to any concerns on the range 4-5.
- Have them determine:
a) if ECU has stock map.
b) If not stock, and they have no records of the tuner and previous owner did not include stock file, software, cables, etc. for the current flash, have them return to stock file (my recommendation).
c) If it were me, even if they have some record of the tuner, I would want it returned to stock file by Porsche. If I decided to mod, I would want to do my own research/mods and be in control of my stock file and changes made.
d) If ECU is stock, determine how many times (if any) it has been flashed (DME), at least you will have some history.
e) If not done recently, have plugs replaced (especially if the ECU is not stock - and given the amount of high revs). Have them look for any signs of detonation with plugs and related anomalies in DME records.
f) if heavy on the accelerator, previous owner may have been heavy on brakes. Check the life on the PCCB rotors and pads.
g) Test drive it on cool day (later this week), and make sure clutch does not slip on WOT 3rd and 4th.

If those things check out, you are probably in good shape and will be getting a rare piece of Porsche greatness and a beast of machine for square deal (assuming some usual negotiation on asking prices or any fixes). The GT2's will continue to appreciate from here and even the ones that do not have a perfect history will get some tag-along rights in appreciation from your starting point today. Others may have additional items to point out but those are my initial thoughts.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:23 PM
jakeg
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got to drive this beast today! I've been in the market for a GT3 and this is getting close to the same money, so decided to check it out.

John, as usual was fantastic and very open about the car, great guy to deal with and highly recommended! I got to walk the car for a while (for anyone interested in specifics on the body, please PM me) and then drive it.

The drive-oooh, the drive! Holy sh*t! Its is beastly fast. Power is downright insane. Scared me silly.

Car tracks perfectly, no weird wandering or pulling at all. Engine didn't have any weird noises or behaviors. Power was delivery was great.

Clutch felt strong, no slippage even at WOT in 3rd.

Interior is in great condition, again, for those wanting specifics, pm me.

I think for the price they are asking, its a very rare opportunity to own a Porsche icon for a damn good price. Also, John did state that it might be possible to purchase an EasyCare warranty for the car (we didn't get into pricing, etc), but with a warranty, to me its almost a no brainer.

For me personally, the car is too much power (I'm getting old!) and I plan on sticking with my original decision with getting a GT3.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:55 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Is there such a thing as to fast??? I am down to this car and one local car...will decide when I get back from vacation. Thanks for guidance Reid55 and jakeg.

Also agree John is a pleasure to deal with...plus a good friend in LA is pals with the dealer principal so I am sure that I will be in good hands. No question to me its a great deal.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

I saw it in person last week. Of all their 997 gt's on lot, it looked to be one of best condition cosmetically. I wasn't in the market for a gt2 given I just picked up a 2rs, but it really was in good shape.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:32 AM
PorscheJake
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeg
I got to drive this beast today! I've been in the market for a GT3 and this is getting close to the same money, so decided to check it out.

John, as usual was fantastic and very open about the car, great guy to deal with and highly recommended! I got to walk the car for a while (for anyone interested in specifics on the body, please PM me) and then drive it.

The drive-oooh, the drive! Holy sh*t! Its is beastly fast. Power is downright insane. Scared me silly.

Car tracks perfectly, no weird wandering or pulling at all. Engine didn't have any weird noises or behaviors. Power was delivery was great.

Clutch felt strong, no slippage even at WOT in 3rd.

Interior is in great condition, again, for those wanting specifics, pm me.

I think for the price they are asking, its a very rare opportunity to own a Porsche icon for a damn good price. Also, John did state that it might be possible to purchase an EasyCare warranty for the car (we didn't get into pricing, etc), but with a warranty, to me its almost a no brainer.

For me personally, the car is too much power (I'm getting old!) and I plan on sticking with my original decision with getting a GT3.
Originally Posted by richk
Is there such a thing as to fast??? I am down to this car and one local car...will decide when I get back from vacation. Thanks for guidance Reid55 and jakeg.

Also agree John is a pleasure to deal with...plus a good friend in LA is pals with the dealer principal so I am sure that I will be in good hands. No question to me its a great deal.
Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I saw it in person last week. Of all their 997 gt's on lot, it looked to be one of best condition cosmetically. I wasn't in the market for a gt2 given I just picked up a 2rs, but it really was in good shape.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate the feed back!

Jake, it was really great seeing you again and I'm on the lookout for your next GT3.

Rich, you've had eyes on the car now and all agree that it's a nice car.
Let's get together when you get back from vacation.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:31 PM
fwharvey
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate Reid55 descriptive rev summary on the GT2 DME. Very well stated and informative. I've driven my GT2 ~2,300 miles in last couple years and yes...it's an absolute rocket! And...it's also very easy to occasionally bump lower edge of RL @ only 6,800 rpm.

If there's a 997 GT2 out there with zero in all 6 ranges, the owner has more self control than I.

The '08 at John's place would be a blast to drive without worrying about devaluation due to rev range blemishes on DME.

GLWS
Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Reid55
Racer

RichK -

you will not be disappointed in any way with GT2 ownership. On the question of "is there such a thing as too fast?"...I once thought a 32" TV might be too big. :-)

Good luck and feel free to give a shout if you want to talk about my experiences with the car. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:12 AM
PorscheJake
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default SOLD

This car has SOLD, off to another Rennlisters garage!

Happy New Years everyone!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Reid55
Racer

Congrats to the new owner! Strap in for lots of smiles. What a way to start the new year.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:44 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Will I be seeing this GT2 in the Los Angeles area? Congrats to the new owner.

Quick Reply: 2008 911 GT2