Notices

How much trailer to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021 | 02:25 PM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Default How much trailer to buy?

I'm taking some time off work this summer, and want to drive around the US and hit up as many tracks as possible. I've been looking for a 24' enclosed aluminum trailer, and a half ton to tow it. I have absolutely no experience with trailers, so thought I'd ask.

How much trailer should I buy? Do we all really need all those cabinets, electronics, etc?

Ideally I'd like something that I can sell for not a great loss in a year or two (not sure if I'll do enough track days post break to justify the cost), and I would like something that I can comfortably tow with a half ton.
Old 04-07-2021 | 03:41 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,543 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I could probably write 4 pages in this but i think the most important item is the up size the axles. The base trailers will be 2-3500lb axles and that will probably handle a porsche but u r approaching its usable limit.

If u upgrade to a 5k axle u get bigger breaks, bearings and higher tire rating options. All these things give u better relability for longer.

My 24' steel framed featherlight has 7k axles and load range e tires. I never worry about being over weight.
Old 04-07-2021 | 05:20 PM
PierreP3
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're dragging it all over the countryside, and not just up the road an hour or two to the local track, a 24' box is right on the edge of the capacity for an F150 or whatever 1/2 ton you like. Assume 1500# of additional stuff besides the car and that trailer will be close to 10k#.
You'll want a 3/4 ton diesel. I have the exact setup you are wondering about. Ford F150 and 24' box with a 1400# sports racer. Trailer is 7000# without the golf cart. Cart is another 1000#. I don't bring the golf cart if towing more than 200 miles because the F150 has to work a bit too hard for my liking. If emergency braking or incident avoidance is required, it's reasonable. Ford and others love to brag that their 1/2 tons will pull over 11k, but I wouldn't do it. You certainly can, and it will do it, but it's not comfortable. In fact, it's pretty sketchy. The box is the issue. Lot's of drag, big surface areas for wind.
Old 04-07-2021 | 11:38 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 843 Posts

Most reputable aluminum 24' trailers are in the 3500 lbs neighborhood base without cabinets. That 7000lbs trailer PierreP3 is talking about with a 1400lbs sports racer must be steel, full of cabinets and such. ATC and Intech seem to hold their value pretty well. It might hard to find one on short notice unless you are willing to compromise on options.
Old 04-08-2021 | 01:37 AM
PierreP3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Most reputable aluminum 24' trailers are in the 3500 lbs neighborhood base without cabinets. That 7000lbs trailer PierreP3 is talking about with a 1400lbs sports racer must be steel, full of cabinets and such. ATC and Intech seem to hold their value pretty well. It might hard to find one on short notice unless you are willing to compromise on options.
This is partly true. It's a steel trailer with nothing inside. it weighs 4400# empty. Your 3500# AL trailer will weigh the same 7000# my steel trailer weighs behind a pick up truck when you put a GT3, a set of wheels and other support bits inside.
Old 04-08-2021 | 09:32 AM
argonaut95
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pewpewpew3000
I've been looking for a 24' enclosed aluminum trailer, and a half ton to tow it. I have absolutely no experience with trailers....
My 2 cents: I had a 1/2 ton tow vehicle and for several year towed an open trailer. I didn't use a WD hitch nor sway control. It was easy to learn and really I never felt any anxiety or concern when towing several hundred miles. Then I bought a used 24 ft enclosed, steel frame trailer. The trailer was in Charlotte NC and I drove down from PA to pick it up in the same 1/2 ton and used same hitch, etc. Driving back home was one of the worst drives of my life. Going down hills with traffic and semi's passing me (with their huge wind load) made the trailer sway furiously - I'm telling you it was freaking scary. When I got home I found the trailer had actually bent my hitch (it wasn't some cheapy hitch either).

Towing a big enclosed is no joke - you need to really think about this and prepare. I'm assuming you already have the 1/2 pickup and thus 3/4 isn't an option. Therefore in my opinion you should be looking for the lightest weight and lowest profile trailer that will work for your car and you should also invest in a proper heavy duty hitch, weight distribution and sway controller.
Old 04-08-2021 | 02:17 PM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting a 22' ATC enclosed that weighs 2700lb. Custom order that someone back away from.
Old 04-10-2021 | 11:53 PM
PierreP3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pewpewpew3000
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting a 22' ATC enclosed that weighs 2700lb. Custom order that someone back away from.
Nice. Try to keep yourself under 7500# and get a weight distribution hitch and i think you'll be comfortable.

Quick Reply: How much trailer to buy?