Notices

Tire Pressure Monitoring System/ Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020 | 03:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System/ Trailers

After a near disaster with trailer tire failure (See horror story "Trailer Tire Caper Rev3.docx), I vowed to do two things:
  • Replace the Westlake tires with Goodyear Enduro (Made in the USA) trailer tires, done! Sold all 5 of these tires for $200 delivered.
  • Buy and install a trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System, done!
After researching the topic, I selected EEZ-RV-TPMS4 System, ordered off of Amazon with four (4) sensors (It has the capacity to \monitor up to 18 sensors). Cost about $300, delivered. It is just plain slick, and you could say SICK. It monitors each tire every 5 seconds. When the parameters you have set for low and high pressure, and low and high temp are exceeded, an alarm sounds.

EEZ-RV recommends this install video found on their web site: www.eezrvproducts.com I watched it and found it helpful....but there were questions I had....I called the help line 928-317-8888, immediately spoke to a Tech (In Ontario, CA), he had time for me and answered my questions. I was up and running in a matter of minutes.

You won't drive a car without TPMS, so why would you pull a trailer without TPMS?
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Trailer Tire Caper Rev 3.docx (86.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-12-2020 | 05:44 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

Good call on switching to Good Year Endurance! If you ever run long distance, you should consider 2 spares wheel/tires.
We run a lot of tractor/trailers and typically on duallies when one goes flat and the driver does not catch it fast enough it takes out there one as well due to rubbing, excessive pressure/temp on the good tire, shrapnels, etc.

I remember reading about your Tundra tow vehicle. It sounds like it did well? Since from the sound of it trailer did not steer your tow vehicle?
Old 06-12-2020 | 05:54 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default TPMS: Don't Leave Home Without It.

Originally Posted by Igooz
Good call on switching to Good Year Endurance! If you ever run long distance, you should consider 2 spares wheel/tires.
We run a lot of tractor/trailers and typically on duallies when one goes flat and the driver does not catch it fast enough it takes out there one as well due to rubbing, excessive pressure/temp on the good tire, shrapnels, etc. ( I have my second spare tire mount on order, two spares is the only way to fly!)

I remember reading about your Tundra tow vehicle. It sounds like it did well? Since from the sound of it trailer did not steer your tow vehicle?
The Tundra did well...in fact I didn't even know I was running on a shredded tire and its companion nearly flat tire on the passenger side of the trailer until a passerby flagged me with the waving of hands. A potential disaster was just around the corner.

The Tundra has worked out very well. Enough power for the hills I encounter runs cool while towing irrespective of ambient temp, , but just like the previous Tundra, mileage sucks....about 9 mpg towing
. But gas is cheaper these days. It will run on 87 Octane but I don't have the heart..I run 89 Octane, and save the 91 Octane for the racecar. I can live with the mileage. The adaptive cruise control is awesome. It has a really nice trailer towing package as well, and a trailer towing mode, changes shift points, etc....

I wrote a little article relating the near disaster I avoided....you may find some irony and humor in there. Trailer Tire Caper (Attached below)
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Trailer Tire Caper Rev 3.docx (86.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-13-2020 | 10:32 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 818 Likes on 470 Posts

I always carry 2 spares and if I have to use one I look to have the bad tire replaced as soon as I can. I run the GY on the trailer but the spares are generic and removed as soon as I get the bad GY replaced. A shredded tire is bad but a catastrophic blow out will usually destroy the removable fender if you have those.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020 | 11:50 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 286 Posts

^OP, it sounds like the Tundra did well and you stopped just in time.
Old 06-26-2020 | 09:02 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default First trip with TPM on trailer

I felt much more confident pulling the trailer knowing that I have a handle on. tire pressures and temperatures. I am adding a second spare before my next trip to Laguna Seca...that blessed track is a mere 2 hours away. Here are a few pics from my last trip there.

Old 07-04-2020 | 10:44 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Really enjoying the peace of mind from the TPMS on the trailer. Next step, add that second spare just in case.
Old 07-06-2020 | 10:02 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for posting again on your own thread - and reminding us all of how much you're enjoying the "piece of mind" you're getting from your tire pressure monitoring system. Tell us more about your next step!
Old 07-06-2020 | 01:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking A little sarcasm here?

Originally Posted by 177mph
Thanks for posting again on your own thread - and reminding us all of how much you're enjoying the "piece of mind" you're getting from your tire pressure monitoring system. Tell us more about your next step!
Assuming this is a snarky post, don't you have anything better to do? Piece of mind,,,yes indeed, a little piece of my mind is at peace, knowing that I have done everything possible to protect my that $100,000 I am towing behind my truck.

I didn't feel reluctant to post to my own thread based on the disaster that can occur with tire failure on a trailer.

My next step you ask? I needed a nudge to stop wasting my time posting. Thanks for that!
Old 07-06-2020 | 05:18 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Assuming this is a snarky post, don't you have anything better to do? Piece of mind,,,yes indeed, a little piece of my mind is at peace, knowing that I have done everything possible to protect my that $100,000 I am towing behind my truck.

I didn't feel reluctant to post to my own thread based on the disaster that can occur with tire failure on a trailer.

My next step you ask? I needed a nudge to stop wasting my time posting. Thanks for that!
I'd call that a win/win.....

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System/ Trailers