Hoping they make some available in the charging wasteland that is West Virginia
The following users liked this post:
CodyBigdog (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 10:22 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
In fact the 3 and Y outsold Camry and RAV4 respectively in California last year. There is a reason Toyoda got sacked.

Or maybe, it’s the exceedingly high price of gas in California. 🤔 Toyota’s been pretty late to the EV (not hybrid) game.

Met a few of those ICE to EV converts, while visiting a EA charging station in San Diego. Had time to kill, so took an informal poll, asking them why they bought EV’s? One guy said, “simple, man, look at the price of gas in Cali”

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 01-30-2024 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:06 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Or maybe, it’s the exceedingly high price of gas in California. 🤔 Toyota’s been pretty late to the EV (not hybrid) game.

Met a few of those ICE to EV converts, while visiting a EA charging station in San Diego. Had time to kill, so took an informal poll, asking them why they bought EV’s? One guy said, “simple, man, look at the price of gas in Cali”
I believe it. Especially with all the ID.4s coming with a "free" three year EA "charging plan".

It is a lot cheaper to charge at home than to pay at a Supercharger. However the 12 stall Supercharger site I showed up in post #6 is in an area where there are a lot of apartment buildings. When I drive by there, it is usually at least 2/3rds and often full. Guessing it is mainly the nearby renters who otherwise don't have a place to charge.

Same parking lot has three EA chargers and a EA L2 station. I met some friends there a few months ago. Walked by the EA, and five of the six DCFC "hoses" were off line. Ironically only the lone CHAdeMO seemed like it might work. The L2 station was also down.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:25 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
I believe it. Especially with all the ID.4s coming with a "free" three year EA "charging plan".

It is a lot cheaper to charge at home than to pay at a Supercharger. However the 12 stall Supercharger site I showed up in post #6 is in an area where there are a lot of apartment buildings. When I drive by there, it is usually at least 2/3rds and often full. Guessing it is mainly the nearby renters who otherwise don't have a place to charge.

Same parking lot has three EA chargers and a EA L2 station. I met some friends there a few months ago. Walked by the EA, and five of the six DCFC "hoses" were off line. Ironically only the lone CHAdeMO seemed like it might work. The L2 station was also down.
Unless Tesla opens things up for non-Tesla cars, the non-Tesla charging stations are going to have longgggggggg waits. I now mostly charge my EV at home but when I do go to the local ones by my house I either go early in the morning or late at night. Charging between Vegas and SoCal is no problem and I've never had to wait.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:42 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Unless Tesla opens things up for non-Tesla cars, the non-Tesla charging stations are going to have longgggggggg waits. I now mostly charge my EV at home but when I do go to the local ones by my house I either go early in the morning or late at night. Charging between Vegas and SoCal is no problem and I've never had to wait.
Supposedly Ford and GM owners will start gaining access next month (Feb), since their respective companies were first to sign up.

Meanwhile, over at EA on the NEVI front:

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/we-...ce-wasnt-great
AlexCeres (02-02-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
What will really fix is this stopping free fast charging.

At this point the freebie isn't even worth it given the wait times.

I just looked and I fast charged 10 times in the last 12 months. For me personally, not a thing.

I think anyone buying an EV that doesn't have easy access to home or work charging is insane right now to get an EV, even in CA.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:39 PM
2012Neunelf
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After enrollment in this Plan, you can redeem your 30 minutes of DC fast (CCS) charging

VW charging is free for 30 minutes then owner has to wait 60 minutes to charge again, this is for 2 years vs Porsche 3.

Porsche gives 30 minutes free up to 3 years for Taycan Owners.
Loved my Taycan w/93.4 KWH battery BUT horrible PCNA support, charging network and range caused me to reconsider.

Now have a 2020 Macan S, 2020 Tesla S Long Range and 2018 Mini Cooper 4 door S.
With the announced 2025 Taycan improvements and access to NACS charging I may return to the Taycan.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:56 PM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

3 months later, 75 sites operational and 10 more under construction.

daveo4porsche (04-19-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 02:24 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 313 Posts

Man - almost none in California or Texas, which both have to be big markets for Porsche. The charging network is why Tesla wins, not necessarily the cars.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:04 AM
limbo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The cars used to be decent. I had an MY16 MS P90DL. It was screwed together right, and wasn’t painted in a tent. They no longer make decent cars.
subaru335i (04-26-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 09:00 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 313 Posts

My 22 Plaid is good but they too often deliver cars that should never pass QA. It’s definitely a weird company when it comes to what they seem to think of their customers.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:05 PM
johnarpy
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 75 Posts

Let's be clear. In California there are only 2 Magic Dock locations. In the most populace part of the state, Southern California, there are none. Nevada none. Arizona 1. This has not changed from the beginning. This was all about Tesla getting government funding and never about opening up the chargers. This doesn't excuse Electrify America's appalling record of inoperable chargers.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:34 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
My 22 Plaid is good but they too often deliver cars that should never pass QA. It’s definitely a weird company when it comes to what they seem to think of their customers.
I think they got really spoiled by their cult following and being able to treat their customers like **** and still have people champing at the bit to buy their vehicles.
It seems that time has ended with strong competition and most people waking up to the hype and vaporware. If they want to continue growing they will have to completely pivot and be more customer-centric but with the layoffs and Musk's ego it sure feels like they arrogantly don't think they have to change...lets see how that plays out lol.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:32 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 116 Posts

My 2021 Model S Plaid was TERRIBLE... I had a 2017 Model S that was fantastic, but the paint quality, noises (like riding on an old wooden sailing ship), and sloppy handling on my Plaid was so bad, it was the last Tesla I'll buy.

I am enjoying the Taycan GTS Sport Turismo I replaced it with though (ignoring any depreciation!)
Der-Schwabe (04-27-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 03:13 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i
I think they got really spoiled by their cult following and being able to treat their customers like **** and still have people champing at the bit to buy their vehicles.
It seems that time has ended with strong competition and most people waking up to the hype and vaporware. If they want to continue growing they will have to completely pivot and be more customer-centric but with the layoffs and Musk's ego it sure feels like they arrogantly don't think they have to change...lets see how that plays out lol.
Dunno, the new Model 3 had positive reviews. The Performance spec released this week also appears to be receiving strong praise - including value for money.

It is true that Tesla owners have tolerated sub standard quality, a price that many early adopters seemed willing to be accept in order to access the technology. The next wave of buyers will not be so forgiving.

I don't see how the layoffs have anything to do with a reluctance to change (or arrogance for that matter).

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 04-26-2024 at 03:18 PM.
daveo4porsche (04-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Taycan Charging at Tesla Supercharger = NOT ready for Prime Time