Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taycan Charging at Tesla Supercharger = NOT ready for Prime Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 02:57 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

People are realizing they don't have to put up with Tesla's minimalism.
No solid white paint option, no CarPlay, no HUD, nor even a line of sight instrument cluster in the less expensive models.
Uninspired styling, cheap interior materials, a transportation module for those who hate cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by d00d:
CodyBigdog (01-30-2024), thebishman (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
People are realizing they don't have to put up with Tesla's minimalism.
No solid white paint option, no CarPlay, no HUD, nor even a line of sight instrument cluster in the less expensive models.
Uninspired styling, cheap interior materials, a transportation module for those who hate cars.
yeah total failure - selling more model 3/Y's about every 2-3 weeks than Porsche makes annually in Taycan's - might as well shut down.

personally I don't care how I have to park to use that station - so far Tesla is only adding support to non-congested stations - so most of the time even though you have to park funny it doesn't matter if you're gone by the time someone who needed the stall arrives...

personally I'd be fine with Tesla onlly adding the MagicDock to the non-urban road trip locations - I don't need the extra CCS network support in congested urban location - but I'll happily use a Tesla 16 stall station in the middle of nevada vs. a 4 stall EA site w/3 stalls unavailable and the one workings stall only delivering 38 kW…

would it be better if the cables were perfect? - no doubt!
will it get fixed over time?- yeah it will!
does it matter at a site that only sees 50% utilization? no!
have I had to park funny at a other CCS stations? 100% true!
does an EA site exists if all the stalls are down? no! (like a tree falling in the woods with no one to hear it)

when I need to charge I need to charge - and the Tesla sites actually work most of the time vs. other CCS alternatives - personallly I'm going with the site that works regardless of how one has to park…

parking correctly at a non-functional EA stations doesn't really work all that well.
The following 3 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Drifting (03-18-2023), earl pottinger (03-14-2023), thebishman (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:36 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I apologize for my lack of gratitude. Seriously. Any additional charger is better than none. And Tesla (I've heard) chargers/stations are reliabile.
I've visited well over 200 Supercharger sites. I can count the number of fails on one hand. In recent memory, one plug had a bent pin - so I moved over to the next stall. Also encountered a site where a bank of four stalls (one power cabinet) was temporarily down. But there were eight other stalls available. Back in 2019, I hit a couple of sites in Wyoming that had a couple of bad stalls. Again, there were plenty of working stalls.

My beef was that doing level 2 chargers is not getting the bang for the buck.

"so he has a monetary incentive to continue to roll out more and more CCS adapted S/c locations."

But also means more people will look at other than Tesla for their EV experience.
My complaint with public L2 charging stations is that they are generally 30-32 amps max @ 208 volts - ~6 kW. I think the 30 amp thing was a minimum requirement for some government grants back in 2010 or so - and never bothered to up the number. These days it should be at least 48 amps. And it would be nice if sites with commercial power, thus the 208 volts, could add buck-boost transformers to get them up to 240 volts. (Better yet would be 277 volts - which is another common commercial voltage. Especially for parking lot lighting. But the short-sighted J1772 Standard didn't include 277V. It is under-documented, but Teslas on-board chargers do support 277V. I don't know of anyone else who does.)

Elon has occasionally stated that he thinks Tesla Energy may eventually grow larger than the car business. Right now Tesla Energy is basically the solar and battery storage business. It ranges from individual homeowners to full grid-scale solutions, including micro-grids and virtual power plants. The Supercharging network is still under the automotive portion of the business. I'd guess that at some point it will move over to the Energy part.

We live in interesting times!
Old 03-14-2023, 03:54 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
yeah total failure - selling more model 3/Y's about every 2-3 weeks than Porsche makes annually in Taycan's - might as well shut down...
In fact the 3 and Y outsold Camry and RAV4 respectively in California last year. There is a reason Toyoda got sacked.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

yeah total failure - selling more model 3/Y's about every 2-3 weeks than Porsche makes annually in Taycan's - might as well shut down.

personally I don't care how I have to park to use that station - so far Tesla is only adding support to non-congested stations - so most of the time even though you have to park funny it doesn't matter if you're gone by the time someone who needed the stall arrives...

personally I'd be fine with Tesla onlly adding the MagicDock to the non-urban road trip locations - I don't need the extra CCS network support in congested urban location - but I'll happily use a Tesla 16 stall station in the middle of nevada vs. a 4 stall EA site w/3 stalls unavailable and the one workings stall only delivering 38 kW…

would it be better if the cables were perfect? - no doubt!
will it get fixed over time?- yeah it will!
does it matter at a site that only sees 50% utilization? no!
have I had to park funny at a other CCS stations? 100% true!
does an EA site exists if all the stalls are down? no! (like a tree falling in the woods with no one to hear it)

when I need to charge I need to charge - and the Tesla sites actually work most of the time vs. other CCS alternatives - personallly I'm going with the site that works regardless of how one has to park…

parking correctly at a non-functional EA stations doesn't really work all that well.
https://apple.news/AihoJs_uVRUOi7hwUuXnjgQ

v4 stations have longer cables…

Tesla will have v4 stations with longer cords working and deployed long before EA figures out how make 4 stall sites reliable or even activate

this past monday in willows, CA EA site - 4 stalls - 1 stall functional (24 kW) - the other 3 stalls "unavailable"

one company has the tech working, and the other guys, well they are the other guys and don't have their hearts in the game.

remember to check the 400V/150kW box if you plan to drive your Taycan any distance what so ever - one of the charging networks will actually work…but you'll be limited to 50 kW max rate i you don't spend the $460

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 03-14-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:29 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

https://apple.news/AihoJs_uVRUOi7hwUuXnjgQ

v4 stations have longer cables…

Tesla will have v4 stations with longer cords working and deployed long before EA figures out how make 4 stall sites reliable or even activate

this past monday in willows, CA EA site - 4 stalls - 1 stall functional (24 kW) - the other 3 stalls "unavailable"

one company has the tech working, and the other guys, well they are the other guys and don't have their hearts in the game.

remember to check the 400V/150kW box if you plan to drive your Taycan any distance what so ever - one of the charging networks will actually work…but you'll be limited to 50 kW max rate i you don't spend the $460
From the horses mouth. First V4 install is in the Netherlands. Longer cables, but Tesla cars only for the moment.

The following users liked this post:
abatis (07-11-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 01:05 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944
From the horses mouth. First V4 install is in the Netherlands. Longer cables, but Tesla cars only for the moment.

https://twitter.com/TeslaCharging/st...15536969760769
The EU mandated that Tesla equip all S/Cs in their territory with CCS2 terminals. Did they not also mandate that any brand could use them, or is that coming soon?
Old 03-16-2023, 03:51 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thebishman
The EU mandated that Tesla equip all S/Cs in their territory with CCS2 terminals. Did they not also mandate that any brand could use them, or is that coming soon?
As I understand it, the EU mandated all "public" DCFC charging stations support CCS2. The Tesla Superchargers have been considered a "private" network, so could do anything they want.

The situation in Europe is different than in N America. Tesla always used the European Mennekes connector for AC charging, and extended it to reuse the AC power pins for DC fast charging. CCS2 separated the DC power pins out - like J1772->CCS 1 did. The European connectors, like the Tesla/NACS connectors, also have a much better/safer locking mechanism than J1772/CCS1.

Electrically, CHAdeMO, Tesla Superchargers, and even the Chinese GB/T DC fast charging all use CANbus communications between the car and the charger. So of course the SAE chose to use PLC communications (and a MUCH more complex high level protocol) for CCS instead. This is why the Teslas that support CCS have a different charge port ECU. Has to have the additional PLC capability. Obviously the Tesla Superchargers that speak both Supercharging and CCS need to, and do, support both CAN and PLC communications at the lower level, and both protocol stacks at the higher levels.

Last edited by whiz944; 03-16-2023 at 03:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whiz944:
daveo4porsche (03-16-2023), thebishman (03-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 06:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

so call me an ******* or whatever, but I have to put-up with the heads up you know what Tesla drivers all over south OC and you can bet I'll be that a-hole who does what's needed to get some juice. payback time.

btw... EA is so awesome. my buddy @usctrojanGT3 got his gts spec car a few weeks ago... we did a little track time at the experience center, that was fun, the taycan at pace was impressive, but you DO feel the weight, especially in transition, anyway... so I told him I'd show him how the charging works at EA... so Monday had day off, we roll the dice. First, the porsche guys didn't get all his services setup right, so we rectified all that, make sure charging account active, etc.

So we pull up to EA at a Walmart in Irvine. They had 3 150kw stalls, not the old old ones, but the middle grade ones with the longer cables. So, handle one on unit 1, it failed to connect 3x with plug and charge, and manually activating wouldn't work in the porsche app. Handle 2 on unit one, it connected first time, charged at a good rate for 10kw, then stopped, and then wouldn't reconnect. We then used handle 1 on unit two, and it connected first go, and charged ok. he then visited again, and unit 3 seemed to work ok.

So like all EA, it's a friggen crap shoot. And I don't know about you, but I do not win at craps over the long haul.

Oh, one more thing: What the HELL is with the ID4 and Ionic drivers charging to 100%? WTF. Just parked. Don't GAF. Don't care. NO etiquette. No self awareness.

Last edited by Spyerx; 03-16-2023 at 07:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Spyerx:
AlexCeres (03-19-2023), mdrobc1213 (02-03-2024), Oberst (04-11-2023), usctrojanGT3 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 07:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
so call me an ******* or whatever, but I have to put-up with the heads up you know what Tesla drivers all over south OC and you can bet I'll be that a-hole who does what's needed to get some juice. payback time.

btw... EA is so awesome. my buddy @usctrojanGT3 got his gts spec car a few weeks ago... we did a little track time at the experience center, that was fun, the taycan at pace was impressive, but you DO feel the weight, especially in transition, anyway... so I told him I'd show him how the charging works at EA... so Monday had day off, we roll the dice. First, the porsche guys didn't get all his services setup right, so we rectified all that, make sure charging account active, etc.

So we pull up to EA at a Walmart in Irvine. They had 3 150kw stalls, not the old old ones, but the middle grade ones with the longer cables. So, handle one on unit 1, it failed to connect 3x with plug and charge, and manually activating wouldn't work in the porsche app. Handle 2 on unit one, it connected first time, charged at a good rate for 10kw, then stopped, and then wouldn't reconnect. We then used handle 1 on unit two, and it connected first go, and charged ok. he then visited again, and unit 3 seemed to work ok.

So like all EA, it's a friggen crap shoot. And I don't know about you, but I do not win at craps over the long haul.

Oh, one more thing: What the HELL is with the ID4 and Ionic drivers charging to 100%? WTF. Just parked. Don't GAF. Don't care. NO etiquette. No self awareness.
I did a few laps @ Thunderhill west in my 2020 Taycan Turbo 2 weeks ago - short track with no long straights is kinda awesome for a Taycan - no battery overheating - and instant power _EVERYWHERE_ you're not on the brakes…vs. ICE cars that can't ramp power that quickly on short straights - I was eating everything alive in the Taycan - cause while it's big and heavy and not ideal for a twisty track - it's got a low CG and once you can go to power you can go to FULL power almost everywhere the steering wheel is straight - it's like a continous series of Nitris "hits" - burst, brake, turn, burst, brake, turn - it was really really quick, and a couple of buddy/GT3/fellow-instructors came up after my session and were like -OMG that thing is mind blowing…

Taycan is an interesting beast - I'm looking forward to the Mission-R/718EV and it shoudl be a hoot - even with the weight…but the Taycan on a short track is a surprisingly fast/quick/fun toy…
The following 6 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
AlexCeres (03-19-2023), Drifting (02-03-2024), PierreTT (04-30-2024), thebishman (03-17-2023), usctrojanGT3 (03-16-2023), whiz944 (03-17-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Taycan is an interesting beast - I'm looking forward to the Mission-R/718EV and it shoudl be a hoot - even with the weight…but the Taycan on a short track is a surprisingly fast/quick/fun toy…
Yeah that's the PEC track, I've driven the TH short track but only as it's linked into the big track, so the PEC is kinda similar, about 1.3mi I think, pretty tight, some good transitions. It was fun. If I'm nice maybe he'll invite me to take delivery of his ST :-) FWIW, the PEC is the best deal going with porsche, fancy delivery, some track time, simulator time, and a really good lunch...

Yeah, same, I really am looking forward to a small electric sports car by Porsche. I think it's going to be great. I know people get all wound up about the noise, but when you're trying to drive at pace the last thing you think about is the noise of the car ... !!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyerx:
daveo4porsche (03-16-2023), earl pottinger (03-17-2023), usctrojanGT3 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 10:25 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Yeah that's the PEC track, I've driven the TH short track but only as it's linked into the big track, so the PEC is kinda similar, about 1.3mi I think, pretty tight, some good transitions. It was fun. If I'm nice maybe he'll invite me to take delivery of his ST :-) FWIW, the PEC is the best deal going with porsche, fancy delivery, some track time, simulator time, and a really good lunch...

Yeah, same, I really am looking forward to a small electric sports car by Porsche. I think it's going to be great. I know people get all wound up about the noise, but when you're trying to drive at pace the last thing you think about is the noise of the car ... !!!!
Hey, as long as you help me set up the ST you gotta yourself another invite to PEC when the car comes sometime this summer. Next time save room for dessert because as you know it was delish. I was great out there and I probably saved myself $1,500+ by not having to ship the car from the east coast dealer, the launch control in the Taycan Turbo that they gave us was insane.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (03-16-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Because charging is free, Bruh!

Asshats.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:20 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Hope they upgrade the Superchargers in Conway to V4 before the Cayman EV arrives.
It's 1000V will accommodate Porsche's 800V/270kW, without needing the 400V/150kW option to charge faster than 50kW at a V3;
https://insideevs.com/news/661540/te...-nontesla-evs/
Old 01-29-2024, 10:27 PM
Psu82Eric
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Checked the Tesla site and supercharger stations with Magic Docks is now 43, slow but surely improving across the U.S.

Quick Reply: Taycan Charging at Tesla Supercharger = NOT ready for Prime Time