Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EA: We need a class action attorney

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023 | 03:07 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kort677
you are correct, the owners of EVs would see little monetary compensation but a lawsuit could inspire EA to hire more/better techs and get the system more reliable.
Exactly!!
Old 01-23-2023 | 04:17 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
I cannot see Tesla opening up their charger network for non Tesla. They know the only advantage Tesla has is their superior supercharger network. The day Bolts, Kia EV6 etc can use the Tesla superchargers will be the day Tesla will be taught exactly who they are, a shoddy Lada/Moskvitch.
Musk is all about the money. If he can get Fed money for opening up the Tesla network to other makes by providing a CCS adapter, he will do it. He has done so in the EU.

Plus he can make money by over changing us for a kWhr, and we’ll pay it just for the convenience.
The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023 | 06:10 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Costs

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Hell I'd pay 50c+ / kwh to have access to the Tesla network for road trips. Really no different than road trip gas stations and their high charges.
Driving Toronto to Miami, I noticed once I was on a toll road so I could not turn off without paying that the gas prices were higher than on the non-toll highways.

Add in the part that if Tesla can keep it's reliability up, anyone doing a long trip will rather aim for their chargers than the hit and miss that too many of the other charging companies have.
Old 01-23-2023 | 10:55 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I don’t think DOT is the responsible agency.

Through a series of three partial settlements, the EPA has resolved a civil enforcement case against Volkswagen AG, Audi AG, Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., “

Maybe it is EPA or the enforcement agency?

Again, this is the reason we need a big class action legal team.
I'm amazed to read here that the wording of the Dieselgate settlement (original post of this thread) says that EA is bound to maintain their stations. They have indeed failed in this, and should be sued for compliance.

EA should have built out their charging stations at gas stations (or similar, convenience stores) with on-site people there most of the day (if not 24 hr/day) to be trained to handle problems and/or call for help when any one charger goes down. Mind-boggling how inept the management has been at EA.

Last edited by cometguy; 01-23-2023 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2023 | 01:02 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Finally:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ccountability/
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
abatis (02-01-2023), whiz944 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023 | 02:05 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

I cannot see Tesla opening up their charger network for non Tesla. They know the only advantage Tesla has is their superior supercharger network...
Actually, they already have at many locations in Europe. And there will be a few here in the U.S. this year. My guess is new stations that are partially funded by state/fed money. At least four such sites have already been announced here in California.

The day Bolts, Kia EV6 etc can use the Tesla superchargers will be the day Tesla will be taught exactly who they are, a shoddy Lada/Moskvitch.
LOL!
Old 01-24-2023 | 06:43 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Huh?

I cannot see Tesla opening up their charger network for non Tesla. They know the only advantage Tesla has is their superior supercharger network. The day Bolts, Kia EV6 etc can use the Tesla superchargers will be the day Tesla will be taught exactly who they are, a shoddy Lada/Moskvitch.
If those other cars are so good, why do they still have such a smaller share of the BEVs market?

Most non-long distance drivers do not need superchargers, so they would be buying non-Teslas if the cars were so much better. Or are you claiming three quarters of the driving public is driving long distance?
Old 02-01-2023 | 02:50 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This might actually be worthy of a class action lawsuit agains EA.

https://insideevs.com/news/642914/el...-easy-hacking/
Old 02-01-2023 | 02:52 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earl pottinger
If those other cars are so good, why do they still have such a smaller share of the BEVs market?

Most non-long distance drivers do not need superchargers, so they would be buying non-Teslas if the cars were so much better. Or are you claiming three quarters of the driving public is driving long distance?
Lots of people, believe it or not, own BEV and do not have home chargers. Either b/c they don't want to spend the $$$ or they live in condos/apartments.

And even if you do charge at home, there is always going to be range anxiety. No matter how slight, it's always going to be extant.
daveo4porsche (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 09:27 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Lots of people, believe it or not, own BEV and do not have home chargers. Either b/c they don't want to spend the $$$ or they live in condos/apartments.

And even if you do charge at home, there is always going to be range anxiety. No matter how slight, it's always going to be extant.
range anxiety is usually an affliction for newbies. once you get familiar with the car range anxiety goes away.
as for not having a charger at home, that severely impacts the the experience of owning an EV, the biggest benefit is that when you have a home charger you plug in when you arrive at home and the next morning your car is full of "juice" and ready to go. relying on public chargers is a huge waste of time.
to sum this up, if someone does not have their own dedicated place to charge, either at home or work, then maybe an EV is not the right choice for a car.
earl pottinger (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 10:47 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Tom brings up some good points in this video:

daveo4porsche (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 10:47 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kort677
range anxiety is usually an affliction for newbies. once you get familiar with the car range anxiety goes away.
as for not having a charger at home, that severely impacts the the experience of owning an EV, the biggest benefit is that when you have a home charger you plug in when you arrive at home and the next morning your car is full of "juice" and ready to go. relying on public chargers is a huge waste of time.
to sum this up, if someone does not have their own dedicated place to charge, either at home or work, then maybe an EV is not the right choice for a car.
while I agree with and espouse this perspective myself (you can check my history) - it's a bit of a bad look then for most govt's to be on a path of outlawing ICE's and mandating EV's…this is a real problem and one that so far the EV industry is failing to address…

but the govt. mandated migration away from ICE's has some lack of perspective if home charging is not a thing…
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Tupper (02-01-2023), whiz944 (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023 | 01:59 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Tom brings up some good points in this video...
Yet another reason to avoid EA, I guess. Free anything is an excuse for abuse.

One of my neighbors has an older Model S with free unlimited Supercharging. Even though she had a 14-50 installed next to her car, she rarely charges at home. When I tease her about it, she says she uses the charging as an excuse to get out and walk around for a bit. (In retrospect, she should have just shared the existing 30 amp clothes dryer receptacle in her garage, and not even bothered installing the 14-50.)
Old 02-02-2023 | 08:55 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whiz944
Yet another reason to avoid EA, I guess. Free anything is an excuse for abuse.
avoiding EA?

what is the alternative?

here in Florida there are few chargers that can match the speeds of the EA units and the other two popular brands, chargepoint and EVGO have their own issues.

last year I was in tampa/St.pete and there are numerous EVGO units and not one was operational.
Old 02-24-2023 | 12:21 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

I tried out EA in Manchester, NH at one 350 with a screen saying something about reduced charge due to software update.
Charge rate dropped quickly to 8.7kW, moved to the other 350 which didn't have the alert screen and got the same rate.
Used a 150 and got around 50kW, a Volvo pulled up to the other 150 and was getting same.
Was happy with 50kW because it's close to the ideal rate for battery life, and it didn't take long to get the 20% I needed.

Quick Reply: EA: We need a class action attorney