Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrify America - Worse Than Range Anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022 | 03:29 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

I doubt the infrastructure for actually using the car for a "road trip" will ever be reliable in my lifetime. I'm beginning to wonder if it makes sense to spend this much $$$ for a car (GTS ST allocation) my wife will realistically only use around the greater PHX area... never have to worry about this with her RS5 sportback, and we could jump in that tomorrow for a stress free trip to Durango!
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 03:58 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skl
I doubt the infrastructure for actually using the car for a "road trip" will ever be reliable in my lifetime. I'm beginning to wonder if it makes sense to spend this much $$$ for a car (GTS ST allocation) my wife will realistically only use around the greater PHX area... never have to worry about this with her RS5 sportback, and we could jump in that tomorrow for a stress free trip to Durango!
life expectancy in the US is around 78....

so are you, like, 68? or older? cuz yeah, you'd then be right about infrastructure not being in place during your lifetime.

​​​​​​Tesla superchargers (open to non-teslas) and other networks should be pretty fleshed out by 2032.

just say you don't like EVs, it's ok. instead of making up BS.

i drive to NJ from DC all the time, i have zero range anxiety. Certain interstate corridors have plenty of reliable charging options right NOW. and i forsee that only improving.
Old 09-12-2022 | 04:44 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OldJedi
I’m considering purchasing a Taycan but after reading all of these problems trying to charge a car, I am not sure that the infrastructure is ready yet. Is there an adapter that would allow the Taycan to use a Tesla charger?
Infrastructure prolly not be ready for decades.

It is not just an adapter you need to connect to a tesla charger.
Dgags (04-08-2023)
Old 09-12-2022 | 04:44 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zcd1
A question for those of you who have used the EA network: The EA mobile app appears to show real-time charger availability - is that information accurate, in your experience?
It is NOT accurate.
Old 09-12-2022 | 04:47 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
...Certain interstate corridors have plenty of reliable charging options right NOW.
Operative words are "certain interstate corridors..."
Dgags (04-08-2023)
Old 09-12-2022 | 04:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
I could easily road trip my Tesla, today.

If they can do it, so can someone else. Just no one sees the business case for doing so. Clearly ElectrifyAmerica was done in response to dieselgate and has not been given the proper resources for maintenance and upgrades. You don't see this crap for Tesla, or in Scandinavia.

So I completely reject your sentiment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
daveo4porsche (09-13-2022), whiz944 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-12-2022 | 05:04 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I could easily road trip my Tesla, today.
I hate to admit...Tesla got it right with the supercharger network. IMHO, their cars are junk...but the supercharger network is A+++

Just no one sees the business case for doing so.
There is no money in this charger business. Unlike gas stations. Price for gas is a loss leader. Gas stations make money on beer, cigarettes and snickers.

Clearly ElectrifyAmerica was done in response to dieselgate and has not been given the proper resources for maintenance and upgrades. .
From what I've gathered, EA (as part of the dieselgate settlement) was given the mandate to implement chargers. Not to maintain or support.
Old 09-12-2022 | 07:59 PM
earl pottinger
Racer

Default Why not the same

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
There is no money in this charger business. Unlike gas stations. Price for gas is a loss leader. Gas stations make money on beer, cigarettes and snickers.
Considering that at the moment charging takes more time than gas in most long distance cases, why can they not sell the same things at a charging station?

Earl Colby Pottinger (BEV Lover)
Old 09-13-2022 | 12:33 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

A question for those of you who have used the EA network: The EA mobile app appears to show real-time charger availability - is that information accurate, in your experience?
not in my experience - it is in fact misleading - almost stranding me in Halfmoon Bay, CA once.
Dmakhija (04-07-2023)
Old 09-13-2022 | 12:38 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
it's already better - and will get better year over year - but you're welcome to your opinion - the TEsla network is "ready now" - it only took about 3 years - if there is a need it could be done in about 5 years or less - deploying EV chargers is easier than gas stations - no toxic tanks, deep digging or pumps

it's actually fairly affordable and easy - we just lack incentive.

it could all work and work well if we wanted it to - electrical equipment run reliably all over the world all the time, and has for 100's of years - when it's not working it's because of lack of motivation to keep it working - pure and simple - not due to any actual difficulties.

EA lacks any motivation to care about it working - Tesla runs superchargers with 100's of stalls (yes 100's of stalls) with a very high degree of reliability

it can all work - it's just not working because the existing guys really really hope this EV stuff will just go away and it's all a bad dream.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
kort677 (09-13-2022), whojoemama (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022 | 07:20 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
I doubt the infrastructure for actually using the car for a "road trip" will ever be reliable in my lifetime.
I have taken numerous long distance road trips in my tesla, taycan and shorter ones using my Ipace, I haven't a clue as to what facts you are relying on for your comment.
The following 2 users liked this post by kort677:
chillindrdude (09-13-2022), daveo4porsche (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022 | 10:01 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
not in my experience - it is in fact misleading - almost stranding me in Halfmoon Bay, CA once.
I appreciate the input.

A friend takes delivery of a VW iD4 this week and so is learning to navigate the EV fast-charging space. He has opted for an EA home charging station, reasoning that one account will work across both home and travel charging scenarios.

We are also considering a Genesis GV60 for my wife, and so will have the same types of questions should we actually make that purchase.

Where can one see user ratings for various fast-charging charging stations, other than PlugShare?
Old 09-13-2022 | 10:53 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the input.

A friend takes delivery of a VW iD4 this week and so is learning to navigate the EV fast-charging space. He has opted for an EA home charging station, reasoning that one account will work across both home and travel charging scenarios.

We are also considering a Genesis GV60 for my wife, and so will have the same types of questions should we actually make that purchase.

Where can one see user ratings for various fast-charging charging stations, other than PlugShare?
plugshare is the only source I've personally found - that does not mean there are not others - I just haven't found them.
Old 09-13-2022 | 11:39 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Infrastructure prolly not be ready for decades.

It is not just an adapter you need to connect to a tesla charger.
It is just an adapter - in europe where no adapter is required it's already working - billing is handled via the Tesla App - so no sure what you're referring to - underneath the covers electricity is electricity - so the Supercharger network not working for CCS vehicles is an adapter away from "just working"

and this article says Tesla is buidling 4 "mega-site" superchargers with Govt. money - which requires at least 50% of the stalls to support CCS vehicles - so yeah we're making progress

https://driveteslacanada.ca/supercha...orlds-largest/
Old 09-13-2022 | 11:40 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

yeah there is virtually NO fast charging infrastructure - and this picture is mostly the same as it was 2 years ago - no massive growth at all - it will never be ready - plan for failure that's always the best approach.

The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
Booth9999 (01-02-2023), Dgags (04-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Electrify America - Worse Than Range Anxiety