Sponsored by:

Electrify America - Worse Than Range Anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 04:05 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Electrify America - Worse Than Range Anxiety

I intentionally wanted to experience the charging infrastructure from LA to Monterey for Car Week. I had to stop in Paso Robles, then again in Pacific Grove to fill up for my local driving. Same again for way back - Pacific Grove to top up the ‘tank’ and then Paso Robles about 1/2 way back to LA. I made four or five charging stops in all, outside the home. I made a number of ‘friends’ out there while charging. My experience was that there is only a 50% chance that when you plug the Taycan into the EA charger that it will work. On several occasions, I had to try four or five times, before switching ‘hoses’ and parking spots to get it to work. That burns 20-30 minutes, sometimes in the hot sun.

Range anxiety is one thing, but way way worse is driving up to a ‘must charge’ situation with 30 miles of range left, and going into light panic hoping that EA infrastructure will work. I’m not sure what the timing difference would be using Chargepoint setup, or if their works better with the Taycan. Photo here for attention….random identical car in Paso Robles.

my charging buddy from car week.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 06:29 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by whojoemama
I intentionally wanted to experience the charging infrastructure from LA to Monterey for Car Week. I had to stop in Paso Robles, then again in Pacific Grove to fill up for my local driving. Same again for way back - Pacific Grove to top up the ‘tank’ and then Paso Robles about 1/2 way back to LA. I made four or five charging stops in all, outside the home. I made a number of ‘friends’ out there while charging. My experience was that there is only a 50% chance that when you plug the Taycan into the EA charger that it will work. On several occasions, I had to try four or five times, before switching ‘hoses’ and parking spots to get it to work. That burns 20-30 minutes, sometimes in the hot sun.

Range anxiety is one thing, but way way worse is driving up to a ‘must charge’ situation with 30 miles of range left, and going into light panic hoping that EA infrastructure will work. I’m not sure what the timing difference would be using Chargepoint setup, or if their works better with the Taycan. Photo here for attention….random identical car in Paso Robles.

my charging buddy from car week.
And CA has the best charger network. It is wild west (in reverse) for the rest of the country.
EA = took the money and ran. Not concerned about charger network working.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G7:
Dgags (04-08-2023), shrimp money (08-28-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 02:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Make sure you have the latest “my Porsche” app on your phone. If plug and charge isn’t starting, open the app, click map at bottom, click middle charging icon, select the charging station you’re at, then choose the plug type and the charger you are plugged into, click start.

This worked for me other day at a station that wasn’t detecting the auto start. A guy in another car with plug and charge said he was having same issue.

FWIW, I’ve had this car since January, I’ve only had 3 or 4 fast charging attempts not work, but was able to use a different handle or start manually, i use them every couple/few weeks.

But yes, it’s irritating. Time will fix these issues… or tesla opens their network up for a piece of the action. They seem to have better reliability.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyerx:
Assad Jarrahian (01-04-2023), whojoemama (08-29-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 07:23 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

We really can't expect more from Level 1 technology. The Eurozone is starting to upgrade their CI to Level 3. The powers to be would rather prohibit your using disposable bags, rather than work on CI.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:22 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

My belief is that this is a software problem that should be pretty easy to fix. The communication breakdown between the vehicle and the charger is the biggest issue I saw. Turns out petrol will pump the gas as long as you pay. Not so with Electrify America. Is Chargepoint any better?
Webfiero (09-16-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 10:54 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

The mandates and incentives are all about building the infrastructure

............not so much about maintaining it.
StuM (09-16-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 11:07 AM
911miami
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and have varios EA stations near me, I have had no issues charging, there is always an open spot, charger works and never gives issues, I haven't had the bad experiences I read about here but maybe it's a South Florida thing. I have yet to charge at my house, all EA.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:48 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
We really can't expect more from Level 1 technology. The Eurozone is starting to upgrade their CI to Level 3. The powers to be would rather prohibit your using disposable bags, rather than work on CI.
EA is (almost all?) level 3 charging.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by whojoemama
My belief is that this is a software problem that should be pretty easy to fix. The communication breakdown between the vehicle and the charger is the biggest issue I saw. Turns out petrol will pump the gas as long as you pay. Not so with Electrify America. Is Chargepoint any better?
All are prolly the same. The cluster is more complex than software. The charger network (maybe except So CA) is a wild-west hodgepodge, a mishmash held together with baling wire and bubble gum

The wallyworld chargers (for example) do not have capacity to run more than two at level 3. One can see the tinny 1kV transformers supplying the power. The physical units itself are tinker toys.

nerdtalker (09-04-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 08:25 AM
Dyefrog
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

The complexity of the handful of suppliers to the EA network don't help. Trying to communicate with a score of various manufacturers, each with a dozen separate software developer's contributions probably doesn't help. Curious how Tesla has avoided that boondogle in Europe and if they will have the same excellent reliability in the US when it opens up. Using the Tesla app doesn't appear to be any advantage vs. the EA app. But looking at the internals, it becomes a bit more clear that the best part is no part has merit.

If you can see the link above, it's unfairly comparing a V2 Supercharger pedestal with a high powered liquid cooled EA unit. But still.

Last edited by Dyefrog; 09-03-2022 at 08:39 AM. Reason: description
Old 09-12-2022, 09:10 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 597 Likes on 292 Posts

I’m considering purchasing a Taycan but after reading all of these problems trying to charge a car, I am not sure that the infrastructure is ready yet. Is there an adapter that would allow the Taycan to use a Tesla charger?
Old 09-12-2022, 09:55 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

A question for those of you who have used the EA network: The EA mobile app appears to show real-time charger availability - is that information accurate, in your experience?
Old 09-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
I’m considering purchasing a Taycan but after reading all of these problems trying to charge a car, I am not sure that the infrastructure is ready yet. Is there an adapter that would allow the Taycan to use a Tesla charger?
A Tesla Wall / L2 charger, yes. A L3 DC Fast Charger / Supercharger, no.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:59 AM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
The Tesla Supercharger network in the US is not yet open to other makes. There's been discussion about this happening eventually, but no timeline AFAIK.

If you want to use Tesla Destination Chargers (L2 charging - think 8-12KW) then you can buy a "TeslaTap" converter, but those chargers aren't really suitable for road-tripping because they're slow (20-40 miles added per hour of charging).
Old 09-12-2022, 01:26 PM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
The Tesla Supercharger network in the US is not yet open to other makes. There's been discussion about this happening eventually, but no timeline AFAIK.

If you want to use Tesla Destination Chargers (L2 charging - think 8-12KW) then you can buy a "TeslaTap" converter, but those chargers aren't really suitable for road-tripping because they're slow (20-40 miles added per hour of charging).
they are very well suited for overnight charging while at the many hotels that have tesla L2 chargers

Quick Reply: Electrify America - Worse Than Range Anxiety