Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrify America - Worse Than Range Anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 02:30 PM
Don40
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I just experienced my first EA fiasco after owning an EV for over a year. The EA station in Naples FL, Walmart has 4 stalls 3-350kw and 1- 150kw stall. The weather was cool for Florida 40 degrees and it seem like battery performance was less than optimum for crossing alligator alley on I-75 so numerous people stopped for a charge. The next closest EA charger was 60 miles to the north which I passed and 58 miles to the south across alligator alley a perfect choke point. The story continues 2 of the 3 - 350 kw charges were down, and the 150 kw charger only worked after going to the porsche app and using station 4, but it was labeled as number 1 on the charger plus plug and charge was not working then the charger timed out after 18 minutes. The 350 kw charger was held up by Chevy volts sucking 52kw and taking over 1 hour to charge. This stop alone added 2 hours to my trip to Fort Lauderdale as I was luckily the 4 person in line. As I waited numerous Fords, Mercedes, Chevy were. in line waiting on a charge. A Tesla even pulled up, but left and I am sure found a Tesla supercharger down the road. EA on the app showed there were 4 chargers working so this fooled numerous drivers including myself on the availability. To make matters worse the other Jewel super charger in the area was down.
Sad to say as more people buy EV the infrastructure has to improve or the growth will slow, car manufacturers cannot expect EA alone to support everyone without a massive change in the numbers of charging stations. Why can’t Ford, GM look for the choke points like this and others in the country and invest in a charging station for a few hundred thousand to make these situations less so. Funny I was warned about Naples, but the app showed 4 working charges with 2 occupied. I met a number of sales people in line saying how bad it is in Naples all the time. Not sure how people in really cold weather deal with the loss of distance and slow charging, would definitely make me think twice about buying an EV up north for long distance driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don40:
abatis (12-27-2022), Dr. G7 (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 03:25 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Don40
...car manufacturers cannot expect EA alone to support everyone without a massive change in the numbers of charging stations. .
EA was given the money (dieselgate settlement) to develop the charger network. Develop but not maintain. They took the money and ran. It is good to state your displeasure of the EA network on forums...better yet if you complain directly to Giovanni Palazzo President & CEO of Electrify America, LLC. Someone on these forums can get his direct email and phone number?

Originally Posted by Don40
Why can’t Ford, GM look for the choke points like this and others in the country and invest in a charging stations...
Ever seen a gas station owned and operated by Ford or GM?

BTW, I've driven the alligator ally. Even with a 1/2 full tank of gas, this drive can be nerve wracking!

Last edited by Dr. G7; 12-27-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:17 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
EA was given the money (dieselgate settlement) to develop the charger network. Develop but not maintain.
Agree. The only metric in the contract might have been to establish "x" number of sites, while also maybe stating by "y" date. Quality metrics were non-existent. "Each stall operating at 95+ percent of the time, at 80+ percent of rated maximum capacity" should have been mandatory language.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 09:34 AM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
Agree. The only metric in the contract might have been to establish "x" number of sites, while also maybe stating by "y" date. Quality metrics were non-existent. "Each stall operating at 95+ percent of the time, at 80+ percent of rated maximum capacity" should have been mandatory language.
Apparently EA is one of leading companies getting our $$ as in the Infrastructure Development billions
Old 12-28-2022, 04:16 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 117 Posts

This guy rented a Taycan on Turo while traveling and came to regret it very quickly.

The following 2 users liked this post by sonicworld:
Dr. G7 (12-28-2022), earl pottinger (01-06-2023)
Old 12-28-2022, 05:15 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sonicworld
This guy rented a Taycan on Turo while traveling and came to regret it very quickly.

A Look At The Porsche Taycan | And then things go horribly wrong
Absolutely true.

I do like the unique pronunciation of "Porsh." And that he was impressed with CarPlay
Old 01-02-2023, 11:49 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

The one issue that no one has brought up about non Tesla charging locations is personal security. I recently visited an EA location in Riverhead NY during the afternoon in daylight. I knew the area was a bit sketchy but had no choice - I could not make another location. I was absolutely terrified of being carjacked. Including failed starts, I was there about 35 minutes. In that time, I witnessed what could only have been three drug deals going down 20 feet from me. It was terribly upsetting to my partner who was with me. Unfortunately, this is not a one off, some of these sites are behind big box stores, not well lit and terrifying at night, especially for a female. Last night we were driving back to NYC area from eastern long island. I told her we would have to make a charging stop and she went into a panic. It was dark already and all she could think about was the last experience we had in Riverhead. As it turned out, this location was well lit and had several open stores with folks driving in and out. She said to me that she will only buy an EV when there is no legal alternative. The charging experience has done her in for good. I suspect that is the part of the reason that 1/3 of EV owners don't repurchase an EV.

Last edited by 991carreradriver; 01-02-2023 at 11:51 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 991carreradriver:
Booth9999 (01-02-2023), Drifting (01-02-2023), Edward911 (01-04-2023), sonicworld (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 12:47 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
The one issue that no one has brought up about non Tesla charging locations is personal security. I suspect that is the part of the reason that 1/3 of EV owners don't repurchase an EV.
Only one charging station (in my cross country trip) was dodgy. Others were well lit malls or Wallyworlds. Tesla (that I’ve seen) are always is secure locations. Biggest challenge was non working, out of service stations.

About the 1/3 non repeat, it means majority (2/3) will repeat purchase EV. Tesla is similarly 70% repeat.
https://www.carpro.com/blog/survey-m...es?hs_amp=true
Old 01-02-2023, 06:51 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

The one issue that no one has brought up about non Tesla charging locations is personal security. I recently visited an EA location in Riverhead NY during the afternoon in daylight. I knew the area was a bit sketchy but had no choice - I could not make another location. I was absolutely terrified of being carjacked. Including failed starts, I was there about 35 minutes. In that time, I witnessed what could only have been three drug deals going down 20 feet from me. It was terribly upsetting to my partner who was with me. Unfortunately, this is not a one off, some of these sites are behind big box stores, not well lit and terrifying at night, especially for a female. Last night we were driving back to NYC area from eastern long island. I told her we would have to make a charging stop and she went into a panic. It was dark already and all she could think about was the last experience we had in Riverhead. As it turned out, this location was well lit and had several open stores with folks driving in and out. She said to me that she will only buy an EV when there is no legal alternative. The charging experience has done her in for good. I suspect that is the part of the reason that 1/3 of EV owners don't repurchase an EV.
Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Only one charging station (in my cross country trip) was dodgy. Others were well lit malls or Wallyworlds. Tesla (that I’ve seen) are always is secure locations. Biggest challenge was non working, out of service stations.

About the 1/3 non repeat, it means majority (2/3) will repeat purchase EV. Tesla is similarly 70% repeat.
https://www.carpro.com/blog/survey-m...es?hs_amp=true

I've never had an issue getting the charger to work or feeling safe at a Tesla charging station. I've never had to wait to charge at a Tesla charger other than in LA.
There is much to love about the Taycan, but I will stick with my modified Tesla model 3 performance (did coilovers, brakes) until the charging network is acceptable for non tesla EVs.

I hope to swap out my M3P for a Cayman EV in a couple of years, but I'm still not encouraged by the non tesla charging options.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:47 PM
Zcd1
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

We would have liked to drive our new EV to Phoenix this past weekend but weren’t willing to risk chance of an EA misadventure. (drove the Tesla instead)

Last edited by Zcd1; 01-02-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:05 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcd1
We would have liked to drive our new EV to Phoenix this past weekend but weren’t willing to risk chance of an EA misadventure. (drove the Tesla instead)
Unfortunately, this says it all.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:31 AM
kort677
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 165 Posts

The one issue that no one has brought up about non Tesla charging locations is personal security. I recently visited an EA location in Riverhead NY during the afternoon in daylight. I knew the area was a bit sketchy but had no choice - I could not make another location. I was absolutely terrified of being carjacked. Including failed starts, I was there about 35 minutes. In that time, I witnessed what could only have been three drug deals going down 20 feet from me. It was terribly upsetting to my partner who was with me. Unfortunately, this is not a one off, some of these sites are behind big box stores, not well lit and terrifying at night, especially for a female. Last night we were driving back to NYC area from eastern long island. I told her we would have to make a charging stop and she went into a panic. It was dark already and all she could think about was the last experience we had in Riverhead. As it turned out, this location was well lit and had several open stores with folks driving in and out. She said to me that she will only buy an EV when there is no legal alternative. The charging experience has done her in for good.
not to diminish your remarks but there are many tesla supercharger locations that are in very nasty places as well.
I remember the one in mobile AL being in a mall parking lot that had a sign to call security to safely walk the 300 yards to the mall it was in.

there are many gas stations in nasty locations as well so driving an ICE won't always shield you from the nasty world out there.
The following users liked this post:
Der-Schwabe (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 12:40 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 2022992guy
Realistically how many of guys want to be in a Walmart parking lot charging your Taycan.

It would make sense to build a charging station with multiple banks of chargers and an area like a food court.

That would make a long distance trip enjoyable!
Of course. So I'm wondering why the old automakers who are all now building out their BEV line-ups don't get together in alliance to build out the EA/Chargepoint/etc. infrastructure to better than Tesla's, and have it maintained by having gas-station-like shops/restrooms with attendants full-time. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Working together would lower the cost to individual automakers and help everybody transition, and encourage people to buy their BEVs. Not working together, we get the current situation, which is hard to see improving quickly in the coming years.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:05 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Of course. So I'm wondering why the old automakers who are all now building out their BEV line-ups don't get together in alliance to build out the EA/Chargepoint/etc. infrastructure to better than Tesla's, and have it maintained by having gas-station-like shops/restrooms with attendants full-time. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Working together would lower the cost to individual automakers and help everybody transition, and encourage people to buy their BEVs. Not working together, we get the current situation, which is hard to see improving quickly in the coming years.
It is almost as though the legacy automakers don't want their customers to buy EVs. Nor the oil companies, the entire ICE parts supplier industry, all the factory and independent mechanics who've spent their lives working on ICE, the legacy automotive press who are dependent on all of the above to push new ICE cars, etc. EVs are hugely disruptive to the status quo.

Last edited by whiz944; 01-03-2023 at 07:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by whiz944:
Dr. G7 (01-16-2023), Edward911 (01-04-2023), Zcd1 (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 09:51 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Porsche should kiss Elon musks *** and ink an exclusive
Deal for their chargers. Pay whatever he wants.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyerx:
Dr. G7 (01-16-2023), Noah Fect (01-05-2023), usctrojanGT3 (01-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Electrify America - Worse Than Range Anxiety