daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,733 Likes on 1,828 Posts

@Drifting thank you that means a lot to me - you are most kind
Old 07-18-2021, 05:17 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

to the original question? Are EV chargers safe to use outdoors - answer is maybe - some are and some aren't.

If you want to simply dispense with the question - I recommend the very high quality ClipperCreek products - which when installed with waterproof wiring are simply the highest quality most reliable EV chargers I've found…and both their standard and ruggedized versions are super durable and completely safe/effective in extreme outdoor installs:

If you just want to be one & done with an EVSE install I recommend the following:
  • ignore the Porsche charger - put it on the shelf and only carry it in the car when traveling
  • install a ClipperCreek HCS-60 (60 amp breaker) - this WILL charge your Taycan faster than 9.6 kW provide by any NEMA 14-50 charger (including porsche) - it will charge at 11 kW
    • specify to your electrician outdoor sealed conduit wiring for the ClipperCreek EVSE that you order
  • install the ClipperCreek charger and then just be done - it will last years with virtually no reputation for any faults or failures
  • you can literally
    and they stand up to the abuse
    • I simply can't imagine taking a baseball pat to either of the Porsche chargers and having it come out well for the charger
    • you want outdoor fault free service - and only buy one EVSE ever - simply get a ClipperCreek and be done with it
  • clipper creek chargers also support a feature called "share2" - which lets you add a 2nd clipper creek charger to share a single breaker but charge 2 EV's at once on a single breaker/circuit
    • when one cars is chargers it gets the full capacity of the entire circuit
    • when two EV's are charging it splits the load between the two cars - until one finishes - and then ramps up the charge rate to let the 2nd car finish faster
  • 60 amps will maximum your Taycan charge rate - but feel free to install an 80/100 amp ClipperCreek charger and be done for the future…but your Taycan will still be limited to 60/48 amps - but future EV's may charge faster.
  • ClipperCreek chargers are simple, reliable, and nearly bulletproof and ugly - but they do one and only one thing - they charge EV's - that's it! nothing more - and they sit outside in the rain/snow/heat/sleat and just take it!
    • they also do not overheat while charging your Taycan like the PMCC does because Porsche decided to save $0.77 in copper wire cost on the NEMA 14-50 supply cable…and ship it with 10 gauge wire instead of a more robust and better 8 or 6 gauge wire option
    • https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/th...erheated.2365/
https://store.clippercreek.com/level...arging-station
https://store.clippercreek.com/level...-2-rugged-evse

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-18-2021 at 05:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Juan.Valencia (07-24-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 06:26 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

another potential benefit to over doing an EV install is that any and all cost for the first year you purchase an EV related to EV charging infrastructure you do to your home is tax advantaged - consult your local CPA for details and your personal tax situation - so it will never be cheaper to upgrade your home’s electrical system if you do it as part of installing an EV charger.

https://clippercreek.com/tax-credits/

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-18-2021 at 06:28 AM.
donutcritic (08-11-2022)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:56 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 480 Posts

The 25’ cable is only for the PMCC, to replace the 8’ cable.

The PMC+ only has the 15’ cable.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhenson29:
daveo4porsche (07-18-2021), W8MM (07-20-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 10:08 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Wow, thank you daveo for all the information. A lot to go through and I’m sure I will have questions. Unfortunately my charger will have to be outdoors, as we have only a small one car garage and the GT4 gets it.
daveo4porsche (11-20-2022)
Old 07-18-2021, 11:08 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

if you intend to put the charger outdoors I beliefve the PMC+/PMCC will need to be a water proof enclosure/box - the charging cable itself is fine for outdoor use - one of the teh EVSE’s safety features is the the charging cord is not electrified unless it’s actually plugged into a vehicle - and NEMA plugs are not water rated.

while I believe teh PMC+/PMCC could be make water proof - you best choice will be a water proof install - hardwirted/water tight - so clippercreek or some other outdoor EVSE would most likely be your best bet.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:10 PM
knowspin
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I can't like every post Dave, can I just like the whole thread!
daveo4porsche (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:59 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

@knowspin thanks.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
if you intend to put the charger outdoors I beliefve the PMC+/PMCC will need to be a water proof enclosure/box - the charging cable itself is fine for outdoor use - one of the teh EVSE’s safety features is the the charging cord is not electrified unless it’s actually plugged into a vehicle - and NEMA plugs are not water rated.

while I believe teh PMC+/PMCC could be make water proof - you best choice will be a water proof install - hardwirted/water tight - so clippercreek or some other outdoor EVSE would most likely be your best bet.
I think I would just hardwire it and weatherproof everything in conduit. I'm looking at the Clipper Creek, Wallbox, and Juicebox. I'm going to call an electrician tomorrow to see what it would take to do the install.
daveo4porsche (07-18-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 05:12 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 443 Posts

the complexity of adding an EVSE to your home isn't really the EVSE - it's the building codes for any 240 volt circuit and the fact that residential home vary wildly in their existing electrical setup and capacity - so it comes down to:
  • you most likely need an electrician
  • you need a permit
  • you need to see if there is physical room in your homes main panel to add another high amp 240 volt circuit
    • adding an EVSE to your home is no different than adding a hot tub to your home - can your home handle another 240 volt 50 amp circuit?
  • if there is physical room for a new breaker - there may be not "capacity" in your panel to add another 240 volt circuit (local building codes require certain ratios of AMP's vs. the main feed from your power provider)
  • once you find room and AMP capacity in your panel - you now have the labor/materials cost to "install" the new circuit
    • high amp wire and labor to pull the wire are the majority cost - the NEMA plug type and EVSE are the cheap part of the equation - NEMA plugs are $12 + the $12 box to put them in.
    • if your panel is "full" and you have to "upgrade" - 70% of the total cost will be the panel upgrade and labor to do the panel upgrade - again the EVSE cost will melt away vs the cost to upgrade your home's main electrical panel.
  • most electricians don't know how to advise clients in this space
  • all dealers are clueless in this space
  • and people don't know what to ask for
but really installing an EVSE is like any other 240 volt appliance - it's a big deal - but at the same time it's not.

how do you decide what to "ask" for from your electrician?

well that depends on what EVSE you're going to use.

so the process in my opinion is:
  1. Decide which EVSE vendor you are going to go with.
  2. Review the EVSE vendors options for AMP requirements - Porsche supports 30 or 50 amps via 4 NEMA plug choices (2 50 amp plugs and 2 30 amp plugs)
    1. more amps = faster charger - up to the limit of the EV you plan to purchase
    2. for home use it doesn't matter which plug you specify
    3. the only reason plug type matters is if you want to use the Porsche EVSES while away from home - and that requires you to "guess" what type of plug you might encounter in your travels
      1. you might for example get a NEMA 6-30 plug because you know your Uncle Mark has one of those at his cabin, and you use the cabin twice a year - so it would be good if you had that type of plug so you could charge the Taycan at Uncle Mark's cabin.
    4. But really the plug type doesn't matter for your home charging - you will tell the Electrician what plug type you want to match what you order from Porsche - they do not electrically matter - and the only difference between the 4 plugs is 30 vs. 50 amps - 30 amps is slower, 50 amps is faster
    5. NEMA 14-50 is the most common choice (50 amps 240 volts)
  3. while there are a wide range of choices - 4 240 volt breaker sizes are the most common
    1. 30/40/50/60
  4. Have your electrician review your home's existing electrical configuration - they will advise you on if your home can handle your requested 240 volt circuit based on their knowledge of local building codes
    1. install cost will be heavy variable based on your existing home's electrical system and the distance from the main panel to your requested charger location (normally in your garage)
      1. home's on a slab - no crawl space - and there is no good "path" from the main panel to the garage…{sigh} this is going to be costly.
    2. sometimes adding the capacity is trivial - but running the wire form the main panel to the garage is just ridiculous expensive
    3. other times it's trivial to add a circuit form the main panel to the garage because the main panel is like 6 ft away form the garage and shares a wall
    4. some times the main panel is "full" both physically and capacity wise - and it requires you to install a whole new home panel an possibility upgrade your home's 100 amp service to 200 amp service to meet local building codes to add a new 40 amp circuit
      1. bonus cost up the wazzooo if your electrical service is underground and therefore requires trenching to add a 60 amp circuit which required upgrading from 125 amp service to 200 amp service…
      2. if you live in California and PG&E is your power provider - good luck getting PG&E underground service division to respond to your request for service upgrade in less than a decade - they studied at the Soviet Beaucratic School of Customer Service, and they graduated top of their class for Soviet era style customer service focus - really really awesome to deal with these folks.
  5. If the electrician can install your requested 240 volt circuit then you need to make a choice with regards to hardwired or plug type
  6. Mostly you're going to request a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 plug type
  7. if you're going with 60/80 amps or more you'll be going hardwired (clipper creek HCS-60 or HCS-80 for the win)
once you've added the breaker/wire/junction-box or NEMA plug - that actual installation of the EVSE is trivial - it's the complexity of adding a whole new 240 volt circuit to your existing home - and sometimes that's trivial - and sometimes that's just ridiculous because of local building codes, when your home was built and what existing 240 volts circuits you already have - honestly it's no different that adding a hot tub - your home either has the capacity or it doesn't - if it doesn't there are options, but it could be expensive to upgrade your residential electrical system to handle that one extra 240 volt circuit.

Sample Phone Call #1:
Hello Electrician - I'm purchasing a brand new EV and want to installed an EV charger in my garage. I'd like to use a NEMA 14-50 plug - and have it installed in my garage. when can you come to my home and evaluate the cost/complexity to add a NEMA 14-50 plug to my garage. I know it cost will vary based on my home's existing main electrical panel and it's distance from my garage. Great! You'll be here next tuesday - I look forward to it.

Once they've installed the new circuit - the actually installation of the EVSE is trivial - simply plug it in - the complexity is getting the new 50 amp circuit form the main panel to your garage.
Sample Phone Call #2:
Hello Electrician - I'm purchasing a brand new EV and want to installed an EV charger in my garage. I'd like to use a ClipperCreek HCS-60 EV chargers - and have it installed in my garage. when can you come to my home and evaluate the cost/complexity to add a hardwired 240 volt 60 amp circuit to my garage. I know it cost will vary based on my home's existing main electrical panel and it's distance from my garage. Great! You'll be here next tuesday - I look forward to it.

Once they've installed the new circuit - the actually installation of the EVSE is trivial - simply wire it I to the 60 amp junction box where the electrical 'left' the 3 bare wires for the circuit - the complexity is getting the new 60 amp circuit form the main panel to your garage.
Sample Phone Call #3
Hello Electrician - I'm purchasing a brand new EV and want to installed an EV charger in my garage. I'd like to plan for the future and get a whole dedicated 125/100 amp sub panel in my garage. From this sub panel I'd like to also have one NEMA 14-50 plug added to the Subpanel for my 1st EVSE. I'd like to make sure the sub panel has extra capacity for future 40 or 50 amp breakers for a 2nd EVSE in the future. I know it cost will vary based on my home's existing main electrical panel and it's distance from my garage. Great! You'll be here next tuesday - I look forward to it.

Once they've installed the new circuit - the actually installation of the EVSE is trivial - simply plug it in - the complexity is getting the new 100 amp sub panel in the garage and the NEMA 14-50 from the sub panel.

you may be surprised to find out that the cost difference between phone call #1, #2 and #3 isn't all that great - which is why I recommend #3 if your home can handle it - the cost isn't the EVSE or the number of AMPS you're requesting - it's the entire hassle of adding ANY 240 volt circuit to your existing setup - but in for a penny in for pound - you should seriously consider getting a bigger circuit to the garage to make the 2nd EVSE easier and cheaper in the future. One doesn't want to pay an electrician $1000 to pull 40 amp wire form the main box to the garage - and then 2 years later when you get your 2nd EVSE pay them again to pull another 40 amp circuit for another $1000 - better to pay $1400 and pull 100 amps in the first place - then adding the 2nd EVSE won't require the 2nd visit.
Originally Posted by Drifting
I always appreciate all of your posts, dave. You really add a great deal to the forum.
This should be a sticky! Outstanding info to help us all as we move into the EV world. Thanks man. Great job! Some much knowledge to digest here!

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think I would just hardwire it and weatherproof everything in conduit. I'm looking at the Clipper Creek, Wallbox, and Juicebox. I'm going to call an electrician tomorrow to see what it would take to do the install.
Yeah. I think it could...great post!
daveo4porsche (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 11:26 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Damn, Dave. Those are excellent posts! Thank you
daveo4porsche (07-19-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:53 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts

Dave,

I have an EE degree, but I'm NOT a licensed electrician.

Your thorough and easy to understand posts about EVSE installation and use are the best I've seen on the subject.

Thanks for your efforts in contributing this to a public forum so all may benefit.
The following 2 users liked this post by W8MM:
daveo4porsche (07-20-2021), Needsdecaf (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:57 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

@W8MM thank you that means a lot to me - as do other's feedback - it's a difficult subject and it needs to be simpler - people should not require this much data to understand it - but it's where we are right now…

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 07-20-2021 at 04:11 PM.
W8MM (07-22-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 07:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I've got the electrician coming Thursday to see what's doable at my house and the cost. Leaning towards a hardwired Juicebox outdoors on the wall in front of my garage. I'm gonna pass along daveo's recommendations about over engineering everything for safety. My biggest concern/question is whether my current fusebox can handle it or whether I'll need to upgrade that.
daveo4porsche (07-30-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 06:52 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 443 Posts

specify the high quality Hubble NEMA 14-50 plug type - it's heavy duty and will handle years of plugging and unplugging your EVSE - it's like $90 but it will outlast the crap $12 Leviton 14-50 plug most electricians will install - if you hold both in your hands you will feel the difference in quality (weight)

240 volts @ 50 amps is a LOT of power - this is not the place to shave costs…this plug will transmit power for HOURS continuously every night while you sleep - every night - you really really don't want sone cheap plug that may melt in your garage below your bedroom shorting out a 3 am while it charges your EV - this is not the place to shave costs…

EVSE's are unique in the 240V appliance realm - few if any 240V appliances run at steady state maximum power for hours on end with NO break - if you bring your Taycan home at 5% battery and plug in - you will pull 9.6 kW (240 volts at 40 amps) for close to 10 solid hours with _NO_ break or dip in current demand - virtually no other 240 volt appliance will run at full capacity - most will cycle on/off/on/off/on/off - your oven may pull 9.6 kW but it will only do it for like 20 min - and when it reaches temp it will stop pulling power, then pull again for 2 min to maintain temp - but it will cycle on/off/on/off/on/off - EVSE's run flat line at full power until the battery reaches it's target capacity - that could take 10 hours of continuous use to fill a Taycan battery - again the is NOT the place to cheap out on wire gauge, wire quality (copper vs. aluminum other other alloy) or quality of the components - specify and demand the best…cheaping out in this area could lead to shorts and fires and melting.

https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wirin...ustrial&sr=1-1

you really really don't want this thing shorting or melting - the higher quality plug will be better over time - and will need to last for years…
Previous home owner had a Tesla Model S I think. Looking in garage already plug wired into the wall and to the box like this one but no writing on it. Circuit board has 50 amp breaker in it named Tesla. Which one would I need for myself if ordering a new Taycan 4 CT and wife's BMW X4 hybrid (to be purchased soon?). LMK. Thanks

Quick Reply: School Me On Home Charging