Sponsored by:

Kudos Oto Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:36 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts
Default Kudos Oto Porsche!

congrats to Porsche on the Taycan - we may have quibbles, we may disagree....but honestly WOW - step back and look at what they've done - the 1st serious alternative EV entry - not a poor rehash, but a real honest to good ness choice, and a choice we sorely need.

this is the best non-Tesla brought to market that was clearly not an afterthought - top to bottom rethink and effort, EV taking seriously

note: I'm using non-Tesla in a non-pejorative sense I am NOT asserting Tesla is still better - not the purpose of this post! and still highly debatable.

I want to honestly acknowledge Porsche for taking this project so seriously and doing honestly an outstanding job. If I told you Porsche would be doing a world class EV that than run the ring in 2013 you would've laughed you asses off and banned me from the forums (some of you still want to).

But the Taycan is simply the best EV done by one of the transitional automative firms that I've seen to date - truly world class and fully EV top to bottom - not an EV hack into a exiting ICE car, a full EV and a clear path forward.

CONGRATULATIONS and OMG what a great car! And it's a full BEV that clearly receive their "a-team" commitment.

I simply can't say enough about how good this car is when you really step back - finally an honest to goodness nearly no compromises choice vs. that Silicon Valley bunch.

thank you Porsche - love the company - looking forward to more.

PLEASE no debate in this tread - we have plenty of other threads for that.

Let's all step back and acknowledge Porsches very strong and credible entry into the EV market - they took it seriously and really delivered! Especially compared to other transitional car manufactures, really really much more serious.

feel free to pile on the kudos - debate about this accomplishment if for other threads....

but honestly the Taycan is amazing vs. virtually every other manufacture…good job Porsche - you haven't let us down - bright future.

like signing the office birthday card - please fellow Porsche enthusiasts pile on and thank Porsche for taking this so seriously and doing such an outstanding job!

Extra credit to those "signing the congratulations card" by actually buying a Taycan - I can't wait to hear your impressions.
The following 2 users liked this post by daveo4porsche:
RCJFC888 (09-18-2019), W8MM (09-19-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 03:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I agree. This is a solid effort. It's certainly no Panamera with some motors and a battery.

Moreover, range aside, it'll be a fabulous car. I believe it will drive like a true Porsche and better than any EV on the market. Not necessarily faster, but it'll just have that Porsche magic.

Reminds me of when we bought our Cayenne. We were looking at the corresponding VW Touareg. Drove that and the Cayenne back to back and even my wife could readily tell the difference in the drive. No, not just the interior, looks, etc. But in the way it drove and rode. She liked it enough to part with the extra $25k, no big thing from her. And now she has threatened to Bobbit me if I try to get rid of it.

Porsche has a big bag of magic dust and, when applied, it rocks.
The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 05:42 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Great post, and thanks for your posts about the different charging options, especially for multi EV households. Would you buy a first generation Taycan, or wait for the second generation?

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
congrats to Porsche on the Taycan - we may have quibbles, we may disagree....but honestly WOW - step back and look at what they've done - the 1st serious alternative EV entry - not a poor rehash, but a real honest to good ness choice, and a choice we sorely need.

this is the best non-Tesla brought to market that was clearly not an afterthought - top to bottom rethink and effort, EV taking seriously

note: I'm using non-Tesla in a non-pejorative sense I am NOT asserting Tesla is still better - not the purpose of this post! and still highly debatable.

I want to honestly acknowledge Porsche for taking this project so seriously and doing honestly an outstanding job. If I told you Porsche would be doing a world class EV that than run the ring in 2013 you would've laughed you asses off and banned me from the forums (some of you still want to).

But the Taycan is simply the best EV done by one of the transitional automative firms that I've seen to date - truly world class and fully EV top to bottom - not an EV hack into a exiting ICE car, a full EV and a clear path forward.

CONGRATULATIONS and OMG what a great car! And it's a full BEV that clearly receive their "a-team" commitment.

I simply can't say enough about how good this car is when you really step back - finally an honest to goodness nearly no compromises choice vs. that Silicon Valley bunch.

thank you Porsche - love the company - looking forward to more.

PLEASE no debate in this tread - we have plenty of other threads for that.

Let's all step back and acknowledge Porsches very strong and credible entry into the EV market - they took it seriously and really delivered! Especially compared to other transitional car manufactures, really really much more serious.

feel free to pile on the kudos - debate about this accomplishment if for other threads....

but honestly the Taycan is amazing vs. virtually every other manufacture…good job Porsche - you haven't let us down - bright future.

like signing the office birthday card - please fellow Porsche enthusiasts pile on and thank Porsche for taking this so seriously and doing such an outstanding job!

Extra credit to those "signing the congratulations card" by actually buying a Taycan - I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Last edited by MM3.9GT3; 09-18-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

deleted - sent in PM form.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

nice trolling.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

really trolling? the Taycan is awesome {sigh} people see what they want to see.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartleby7334
nice trolling.
Why yes, you are trolling quite nicely.

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

daveo4porsche - I could not agree more! I've waited for the car to become real since the reveal of the Mission e show car. I love the looks of the car, and wish I had the financial means to acquire the Turbo. Alas, my spouse would likely collect much, much sooner on my life insurance policies if I did order one of these cars!!! I'm now #6 on the list at my local dealer and am pestering the poor man every other day on announcement dates for the 4S. I can't wait!! This car is an amazing vehicle.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:20 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

I guess it wasn't a surprise to many of us - however, it is worth noting Porsche not only designed the Taycan from the ground up (largely), they built a production line and delivered the first vehicle on time, on budget and with the QAQC you would expect from this company - no histrionics, they just went out and did it.

The Taycan is not the achievement, its merely a manifestation and reflection of the quality of Porsche systems, engineering, RnD, employees and management. In essence its a validation of Porsche excellence.

In my view there are a number of areas where they have been very switched on (1) adoption of 800V system (2) addition of gears (3) retention of the best aspects of ice cars particularly around suspension and brakes (4) motor design - specifically in areas that maximise torque.

Note the capital intensity and note the fact there is a pipeline of products ready to go.

Porsche have met my expectations as they generally do and as I have said many times there is nothing particularly challenging about the technology - its been understood for a long time - getting the packaging right presents design and engineering challenges and thats about it outside of the batteries. Unfortunately batteries are quite limited by the electrochemical physics that control and limit what can and can't move electrons and thereby the ability to store and deliver energy.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-18-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:24 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartleby7334
nice trolling.
^This
Old 09-19-2019, 11:16 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a beauty but I was expecting more from Porsche.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:04 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
really trolling? the Taycan is awesome {sigh} people see what they want to see.
Give Porsche engineers a clean sheet of paper, a super flexible new platform and 80+ years of heritage to draw from and they produce a pint sized Panamera with a Tesla Roadster price tag. It is probably a great car, but I remember when Porsche was a sports car company which let other brands in the VW group shoulder the sedan and truck sales. Now the Porsche dealers lot is filled with sports ubiquity vehicles and stretched out 911s with four doors - what happened? IMO, Porsche has become a “premium luxury brand” meaning they put a Porsche sticker on a VW SUV and sell it for 2x the price. Porsche still makes awesome sports cars as well, of course, but I do feel like the Taycan is trying to be all things to all people rather than focusing on Porsche core sports car values. Hopefully, future Porsche EVs will use the engineering prowess of the company to make compelling electric sports cars rather than porky sedans, SUVs and station wagons. At least VW and Audi are coming through with creative EVs such as the ID.Buzz, AI:Race and ID.Buggy. Imagine the possibilities!
destaccado (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 01:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
Give Porsche engineers a clean sheet of paper, a super flexible new platform and 80+ years of heritage to draw from and they produce a pint sized Panamera with a Tesla Roadster price tag. It is probably a great car, but I remember when Porsche was a sports car company which let other brands in the VW group shoulder the sedan and truck sales. Now the Porsche dealers lot is filled with sports ubiquity vehicles and stretched out 911s with four doors - what happened? IMO, Porsche has become a “premium luxury brand” meaning they put a Porsche sticker on a VW SUV and sell it for 2x the price. Porsche still makes awesome sports cars as well, of course, but I do feel like the Taycan is trying to be all things to all people rather than focusing on Porsche core sports car values.
^This
Old 09-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Adk46
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 166 Posts

"Trolling" comes from "troll", a disagreeable fellow that pops out from under a bridge to disrupt travelers.

This particular sub-forum is for travelers seeking information about the Taycan. The trolls are the people who have no real interest except in causing disruption. They don't want Porsche departing from tradition. They may not welcome EVs of any kind. They may be angry over what they perceive as a massive hoax. They particularly hate Tesla and Elon Musk for their prominent role in this hoax. I can imagine their consternation that Tesla is being regarded - here of all places - as the gold standard that Porsche has not clearly met.

It really is a head-spinning moment, for all of us.

Dave is not a troll. He's a pleasant automotive enthusiastic excited - not frightened - about the future.
4pipes (09-20-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 PM
unclewill
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Go trolling, catch a troll! Ask and ye shall receive...

Quick Reply: Kudos Oto Porsche!