Kudos Oto Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by unclewill
Give Porsche engineers a clean sheet of paper, a super flexible new platform and 80+ years of heritage to draw from and they produce a pint sized Panamera with a Tesla Roadster price tag. It is probably a great car, but I remember when Porsche was a sports car company which let other brands in the VW group shoulder the sedan and truck sales. Now the Porsche dealers lot is filled with sports ubiquity vehicles and stretched out 911s with four doors - what happened? IMO, Porsche has become a “premium luxury brand” meaning they put a Porsche sticker on a VW SUV and sell it for 2x the price. Porsche still makes awesome sports cars as well, of course, but I do feel like the Taycan is trying to be all things to all people rather than focusing on Porsche core sports car values. Hopefully, future Porsche EVs will use the engineering prowess of the company to make compelling electric sports cars rather than porky sedans, SUVs and station wagons. At least VW and Audi are coming through with creative EVs such as the ID.Buzz, AI:Race and ID.Buggy. Imagine the possibilities!
Old 09-20-2019, 03:24 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Adk46
"Trolling" comes from "troll", a disagreeable fellow that pops out from under a bridge to disrupt travelers.

This particular sub-forum is for travelers seeking information about the Taycan. The trolls are the people who have no real interest except in causing disruption. They don't want Porsche departing from tradition. They may not welcome EVs of any kind. They may be angry over what they perceive as a massive hoax. They particularly hate Tesla and Elon Musk for their prominent role in this hoax. I can imagine their consternation that Tesla is being regarded - here of all places - as the gold standard that Porsche has not clearly met.

It really is a head-spinning moment, for all of us.

Dave is not a troll. He's a pleasant automotive enthusiastic excited - not frightened - about the future.
Thats not my experience........

and no current Tesla EV has been able to achieve what the Taycan has in terms of performance and repeatable performance. As you may have seen the Plaid (or what ever it was) went home on a flatbed truck.

Porsche took a clean sheet approach to the the design and ultimately building something from the ground up. Some of us can see that and appreciate that effort and also recognise in a genuine way what the Taycan has been able to do. This is largely because of the 800V architecture combined with a whole vehicle approach to cooling - those of us that understand the physics understand why this is important.

Porsche also kept key elements of ice design to build a car that is not only quick, but handles extremely and drives extremely well. A lot of Porsche sports car owners and drivers are looking for both a quality driving experience and performance - so well done to Porsche, it appears they have delivered both.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:54 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Great job by Porsche, and it appears that this is a developable platform with a great deal of potential as time moves forward.

Most of us cringed at the fact that they built the Taycan factory in the heart of Zuffenhausen and tore down the old Special Wishes/Exclusive facility. Now we see why! EV's are Porsche's future and will for the core of their vehicle lineup. Hmmmmm - None of us thought the 911 would become water cooled when the 993 came out and sure enough, in only four years there were no more air-cooled Porsches. My water cooled Turbo eclipses any of my air cooled Porsches by a wide margin and early 911's are relegated to collector status...

I loved the suicide door concept and when the mules came out was very concerned that this was going t be a warmed over Panamera body and that the elements of the Mission e prototype would be lost. Now that it is out I see a beautiful sedan that I am looking forward to owning. There are continuing rumors of a 2 door version of the Taycan, so I'm watching for one of them to be announced as a true GT.

Congratulations Porsche!

This is one of my configurator shots...

>
Old 09-20-2019, 07:34 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
Great job by Porsche, and it appears that this is a developable platform with a great deal of potential as time moves forward.

Most of us cringed at the fact that they built the Taycan factory in the heart of Zuffenhausen and tore down the old Special Wishes/Exclusive facility. Now we see why! EV's are Porsche's future and will for the core of their vehicle lineup. Hmmmmm - None of us thought the 911 would become water cooled when the 993 came out and sure enough, in only four years there were no more air-cooled Porsches. My water cooled Turbo eclipses any of my air cooled Porsches by a wide margin and early 911's are relegated to collector status...

I loved the suicide door concept and when the mules came out was very concerned that this was going t be a warmed over Panamera body and that the elements of the Mission e prototype would be lost. Now that it is out I see a beautiful sedan that I am looking forward to owning. There are continuing rumors of a 2 door version of the Taycan, so I'm watching for one of them to be announced as a true GT.

Congratulations Porsche!

This is one of my configurator shots...

>
Nice, very classy
Old 09-20-2019, 11:41 AM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, Kudos to Porsche, they a better job than their cousin Audi in their first attempt. No its not a Tesla,if you are hung up on spec, go to Tesla.com and order one. But Porsche accomplished their goals and designed a beautiful car that does not look like a Panamera which was my initial fear.

The following users liked this post:
daveo4porsche (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I guess it wasn't a surprise to many of us - however, it is worth noting Porsche not only designed the Taycan from the ground up (largely), they built a production line and delivered the first vehicle on time, on budget and with the QAQC you would expect from this company - no histrionics, they just went out and did it.
The sheer competence to pull this off so effectively is impressive.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:11 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

BMW did the same thing over 5 years ago with the i3.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
BMW did the same thing over 5 years ago with the i3.
Did what? The i3 was a small 4 seater that cost to much and had about 85 miles of rated range, 65-70 real world. I'm not seeing how that's comparable.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:42 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I read the title; was thinking, "who's Oto Porsche?"
Old 09-20-2019, 05:11 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,886 Posts

typo on the title - to lazy to figure out how to change the title.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:26 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
typo on the title - to lazy to figure out how to change the title.
all good. I'm liking the Taycan, too.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by 500
The sheer competence to pull this off so effectively is impressive.
Absolutely, and they deliberately avoided a number of shortcuts and did the hard yards on the 800V architecture to in part to help future proof the car. The culture of excellence shines through.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:06 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Did what? The i3 was a small 4 seater that cost to much and had about 85 miles of rated range, 65-70 real world. I'm not seeing how that's comparable.
Designed an electric car from the ground up along with a dedicated, green powered production line.
Geez, I must remember to not post on this forum.

Last edited by 4pipes; 09-21-2019 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 09-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Designed an electric car from the ground up along with a dedicated, green powered production line.
Geez, I must remember to not post on this forum.
Sorry, was t sure what you were referring to. Yes, you’re of course correct that they did that. Shame they didn’t / couldn’t give it more range, I quite like the i3.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:33 AM
freqflyer
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Kudos to Porsche on the sound, inside and outside. We all know electric motors make a whirring sound. It seems like Porshe from all of the videos I have seen paid particular attention to the sound inside, and no I am talking about the piped stuff (automakers, STOP IT, PIPING IN SOUNDS IS STUPID!)

Quick Reply: Kudos Oto Porsche!