Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder owners.....if you could start over from the beginning....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
I like Lichtgrun. Looks more neon and modern. Is this the accent color they used on the 918 concept brakes etc? Or the accent color used on the Turbo S 918 edition?
Yes. It is exactly that color! In fact, in Zuffenhausen at the 'in-house' option selection rooms next to the Factory Delivery/European Delivery second floor area, there is a 'showroom' dedicated to the 918 Spyder...although this 'Lichtgrün' cabriolet was taken its place when I was there. They used that space for showcasing the 918 Spyder to potential customers. Or those Turbo S editions reserved for 918 customers. You can see the 918 Spyder logos in the floor and wall of this special 'Lichtgrün' showroom (see first photo)!

That is the reason why deviating stitching exists for this special exterior color. As you know, 'Porsche Exclusive' has a limited set of colors (all related to the 'standard' 991 / 981 exterior colors offered) which they allow to be ordered as deviating stitching on the dash, door panels, etc. On special orders of PTS, for example 'Riviera Blue', they have allowed a deviating 'blue' stitching to be special ordered. But that has been more the exception than the rule!

Right now, as I will explain further on my next posts related to my visit to 'Porsche Exclusive' Zuffenhausen on April 18th, Porsche has also changed the specs on the synthetic thread used for the seats. It has been made stronger and more resilient! This has caused 'Porsche Exclusive' to begin its search for colored threads for deviating stitching for seats in this stronger material! The current type of thread used for dash, door panels, etc, is not a problem (areas of less wear & tear), so the older type of deviating stitching is still available in 'colors' for those specific panels...and has been since the 991/981 intro!

This new seat 'deviating color stitching program' has not yet been finalized! As a result, Porsche has not been able to offered 'deviating stitching' for any of their seats for some months now. This particular 'Lichtgrün' cabriolet had deviating stitching in many places....but not on the seats (see last photo)! But hopefully that will be resolved soon and deviating stitching for the seats will be again available on a Porsche custom order!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2013, 02:54 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noooooo Way, that color is way too close to the color Fiat used for the 131 "eager beaver" which also had to be the worst campaign and misunderstanding of American slang ever launched by a marketing team. I'm sure Dodge will keep the Italians from repeating the error Key Gatzo!!!

PS They even had a beaver in the logo, yikes!!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 63 Posts

Couple random 356's in my Dad's shop but wanted to take a quick pic to show the colors since one of them has been mentioned on here before...

The grey in front is Dolphin Grey, the more vanilla looking color behind is Heron Grey, and the Navy Blue color is Bali Blue.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Couple random 356's in my Dad's shop but wanted to take a quick pic to show the colors since one of them has been mentioned on here before...

The grey in front is Dolphin Grey, the more vanilla looking color behind is Heron Grey, and the Navy Blue color is Bali Blue.

Thanks!

I miss the days where 'nuanced' colors were available.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Drove a Spyder w/PDK this weekend. All I can say is WOW! What a car!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I miss the days where 'nuanced' colors were available.
Steve & Aaron:

Happy days are here again! Rennlister R_S_A reported in another one of my threads that this 991 in PTS 'Grigiocampovolo' (colour code Y99) is available at Sunset Porsche (OR) as we speak!

There are several other neutral 'Greys' available right now via PTS: 'Light Oxford Grey', 'Fashion Grey', 'Stone Grey'. The last two are 356 era colors! The 'Fashion Grey' was available as early as 1952. The 'Stone Grey' was for sure available in 1959. Unfortunately, these 'greys' did go very well with period Porsche leather interiors - such as dark 'Green' - which were available then but NOT now! So the interior leather selection becomes a bit more complicated on a 981 or 991, but still doable!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

None of these cool colors being introduced now do us any good, it's just a tease!

I still think a Dolphin Grey Spyder with a darker grey lettering would look awesome. Not sure if I would go with red or black interior.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
None of these cool colors being introduced now do us any good, it's just a tease!
The entire PTS program for the '12 Spyder was an ill-managed affair from start to finish! There was only one direct winner - Steve & his custom ordered 'Speed Yellow' beauty - plus two indirect beneficiaries, the owners of the 'Riviera Blue' and 'Azure Blue' Spyders which were dealer specs!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado
Old 06-11-2013, 01:29 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the only changes i would consider to my spyder is the the Mexico Blue colour. Looks great in the pictures i have seen. Never seen one in person (saw it on a regular 891 and loved it) and not sure how the excited i would be if i had to see it everyday.
The other change would be leather, alcantara and CF and i am planning to do that now. Would love to see some good interior shots of Spyders.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:24 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to remember to sit down and think about what my ideal order spec would've been... In the meantime, it probably would've resembled Eduardo's past Spyder!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Guards Red/black with the carbon fiber buckets and 6-speed. Only option was the red gauge faces.

However, I have to admit, I really love red on beige. Or Mexico Blue over black. I will own a Porsche in Mexico Blue someday...

Quick Reply: Spyder owners.....if you could start over from the beginning....