Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder owners.....if you could start over from the beginning....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Spyder owners.....if you could start over from the beginning....

Assuming PTS was always an option and not just for one week, now knowing what we all know about options, Porsche Exclusive, etc, how would you configure your car assuming you were just given an allocation and you could build your Spyder to your exact liking?

Thought this would be a fun game. I'll save my build for a little later but interested to see how others would do it!

...ready go!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Interesting question. I never had the chance to spec mine. The dealer had ordered it and I bought it sight unseen. Mine is white/red leather/mt/bucket seats/air/standard radio. What's nice about this build is the MSRP was low and the dealer gave me a decent discount. Which in the long run has made the car more attractive to me. That said, if I could do it over again I might cough up the extra $5K for the PTS. There was a very light grey that someone posted (don't know the color)? Bucket seats and a MT are a must. I need air con. There is nothing else I desire. I can do without a radio. Don't need Sports Exhaust or a short shifter.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

If I were to do it over I would delete the Porsche sport exhaust and instead of Aqua blue metallic order the Spyder in California Aruzza Blue and maybe a lighter interior than black. Other than that I would change nothing. Love the Spyder
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Definitely PTS, I wanted it all along and tried like hell to get it but it just wasn't meant to be. Other than that I would have added the short shifter and maybe picked a different interior color if I did get PTS.

I'm happy with my choice otherwise.

Now if I could just find the time to drive it!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 99% happy with my configuration. Mine was ordered the week of PTS announcement, so I could have done it. Unlike most, I wasn't considering historic vintage colors. I was considering Polar Silver/Black, Atlas Grey/beige, or Dark Blue Metallic/beige. Go figure. In the end, I ended up with Plat. Silver/Red. Happy.

The only thing I would add....wait for it.....cup holders. I don't know if I was trying to make a purist statement by not getting cup holders, or just OCD about keeping the car clean. Sunday morning drives/cars and coffee usually involve me chugging my coffee frat boy style.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I added the cup holders and I find them very handy when on longer drives on a hot sunny day. It's a great place for a water bottle within close proximity and view so you can stay hydrated.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Nice comments and replies everyone. I think the main thing that everyone seems to iterate is how happy everyone is regardless. I completely agree with everyone in that regard, just thought this might be a fun game/questionnaire for people to answer.

For me, I found my white/sand beige Spyder on the showroom floor. I was always aware of the car ever since the announcement and loved it from first sight. I was never really in position or thinking I would be in the market but when I saw the car in person I couldn't resist. Knowing what I know now, here's what I would do if I were to custom order mine.

If I were to order a stock color and somewhat low option car I would do the following:

Carrera White Exterior
Sand Beige Full Leather Interior
Sport Buckets
Manual 6spd
Sports Design Steering Wheel
Auto Climate Control
Bluetooth

Now if I was to order my bespoke PTS version with no control on options I would do the following:

Mexico Blue Exterior
Cocoa Full Leather Interior
Wheels painted in deviating color in a darker grey (Meteor Grey)
Deviating stitching on all leather pieces, not sure on color but something
Manual 6spd
Sports Exhaust
Short Shifter
Sports Buckets with alcantara and Porsche crest in headrest
Alcantara Interior Package on Doors
Alcantara lower dash from GT3 (if allowed)
Alcantara center console
Alcantara center console lid with Porsche text
Sports Design Steering Wheel
Auto Climate Control
Bluetooth
Xenon's
Leather Sun Visors
Leather Rear View Mirror
Leather Door Sill Guards
Leather Steering Column
Leather A-Pillars
Delete Side Decal Porsche Script
Delete Rear Boxster Spyder Badge

Sure I forgot something, but I think that's most of it
Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

ClintonM3's car really speaks to me for some reason. If I were to start over:

I'd go platinum silver, full leather red interior, black carpeting and floor mats (ala Z356), sport design wheel, PSE exhaust with black standard exhaust tips, A/C and Navi, short shifter, charcoal alcantara on the doors and on the glove box and console lid with Porsche stamp, sport buckets with crest, xenon lights, manual tranny.

Oh, and I'd still get PCCB, but take off the rotors immediately. The PCCB larger calipers come in handy.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer ordered my car and we might as well have been psychically connected because everything he ordered was choice. The only things I would change is I'd order deviating color seat stitching, delete the "black, yes I'm dirty already again" wheels. I think I would delete the side stripe as well, it's a little "in your face" to me. The fancy dead pedal that cost an extra three bills was the only waste of money option. Pardon my ignorance but what is PTS option?

Last edited by terbiumactivated; 06-05-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ PTS = Paint to Sample
Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

That would have been sweet, I'll bet there would have been a lot of Mexico blue cars.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Well there is one Riviera Blue one. Only 4 PTS Spyder's were delivered in the US due to the short notice and only open availability for 1 weeks time. There is a Riviera Blue, JSF101's Speed Yellow, an Azure Blue, and a Meteor Grey that was used at the Porsche World Road Show and some car shows.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Arrow Blue......
Old 06-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Dug this up from my email messages from March 2011 with the dealership that dropped the ball on my allocation. Was originally trying to keep the cost down, but would have added sport exhaust (or aftermarket) and sport shifter at some future point. Had emailed the specs and credit card deposit info to the dealer only to be told that the order had to be in the prior day, which was the day they were ignoring my calls and emails.

Minerva Blue Metallic paint code #304
19” Boxster Spyder wheels
Sport Bucket Seats
Delete rear model designation
Auto climate control
CDR-30
Sound package plus
Bluetooth
Universal Audio Interface
Floor mats
Cupholder
Side stripe
Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

One addition: full leather with deviated stitching.
One deletion: the ugly, useless wart on my dash.

Quick Reply: Spyder owners.....if you could start over from the beginning....